You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-21 13:57:00

mcfranky

Arch doesn't start, "plymouth" problem

Hi guys,

suddenly my Arch won't start anymore. I do not believe that it's caused by a recent upgrade, what makes it even more odd for me.

The symptoms are:

1. When booting the system hangs 1:30 minutes with
"A startup job is running for dev-mmcblk0p1.device (xxs / 1min 30s)

-> I think this naming scheme belongs to memory cards, which is odd, because I don't have a memory card slot inside my pc and I have never seen this device before

2. The system then boots into emergency mode.

journalctl -xb

delivers:

emergency.service: Failed at step EXEC opening /bin/plymouth: No such file or directory
Subject: Process /bin/plymouth could not be executed
Defined-by: systemd
[...]

I googled what plymouth is, and I definitively have never installed nor used it.

When in emergency mode pressing pressing CRTL+d to continue it says:

Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory (g-io-error-quark, 1)

Perhaps this has something to do with the underlying problem?

I will be grateful for every hint that helps me to track the problem down or squeeze a bit more information out of my system to solve this!

#2 2015-09-21 14:43:47

respiranto
Website

Re: Arch doesn't start, "plymouth" problem

Searching the web for your error message ('emergency.service: Failed at step EXEC opening /bin/plymouth: No such file or directory') brings up many results.
According to this and this one a bad entry in /etc/fstab might be a problem, which does make sense, since you seem to have trouble mounting something.

Could you please post the contents of your /etc/fstab?

Board footer