You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-16 10:41:09

velovix

[SOLVED] Unable to enable wireless on Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030

I'm helping a friend install Arch on his computer, and we've started having issues with his wireless. When we first got everything set up, the wireless worked fine, but the next day it did not. I'm assuming an update is to blame but I have no idea what package is to blame. I haven't found any evidence online that his card shouldn't work out of the bod

When I say "issues," I mean that the network manager applet in Cinnamon has a switch to turn on wireless, but it switches back to the off position the moment he tries to switch it on. wifi-menu complains that no wireless networks could be found. I looked in the NetworkManager log and it didn't do any complaining.

His computer is a Dell Inspiron 17r n7110 with an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 network card.

Last edited by velovix (2015-09-23 08:25:37)

#2 2015-09-16 11:41:06

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to enable wireless on Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030

mod note: moved to N.C.

Please go through the wireless page of the wiki to know what diagnostics and information would be relevant - then post it here so we have some idea of what is going on.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-09-17 06:32:47

velovix

Okay, I definitely do belong in the newbie corner. I never thought that maybe the wireless card was disabled with a hardware switch.

Just in case someone else is as airheaded as me, you can find out if your wireless card is hardware disabled using the rfkill command, specifically with the command rfkill list.

Sorry for the noise!

#4 2015-09-17 11:03:53

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

volovix, having the thread moved to the N.C. does not reflect on you - at least not as a person in the way you seem to infer.  It is quite simply that the first post lacked the needed information, and it was likely that the solution was a misconfiguration.

You'll note that even the most seasoned members of this community will occasionally post in the newbie corner when they have an issue for which they don't even know where to start and thus can't even construct a detailed initial post on their own (e.g. here).

If this is working now, please mark your thread as solved by editing the first post to prepend "[SOLVED]" to the title.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2015-09-23 08:25:21

velovix

I was mostly kidding, though I appreciate the clarification smile Marked as solved.

Board footer