You are not logged in.

#126 2015-09-22 15:08:01

skanky

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Remember also that, by default open and open in a new tab are mapped to o and O respectively.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#127 2015-09-22 22:09:43

navi_se

Yep, that's it, thanks smile. The aw after the ! refers to the quickmark that you can save in qute?$

#128 2015-09-23 06:21:22

The Compiler
Website

navi_se wrote:

Yep, that's it, thanks smile. The aw after the ! refers to the quickmark that you can save in qute?$

No - it's part of the search term sent to DuckDuckGo, and ddg resolves those (calling them bangs).

You can however define custom search engines in the config under [searchengines] and then use something like :open g foo (assuming you added a searchengine g).

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#129 2015-09-23 06:35:33

th3voic3

I tested this shortly and liked it, but it is missing one essential feature for me personally. One that all or most minimal browsers are lacking. I want to set temporary and permanent cookie and script settings per domain. Basically like the various cookie manager addons for Firefox and No-Script.

#130 2015-09-23 07:55:29

The Compiler
Website

th3voic3 wrote:

I tested this shortly and liked it, but it is missing one essential feature for me personally. One that all or most minimal browsers are lacking. I want to set temporary and permanent cookie and script settings per domain. Basically like the various cookie manager addons for Firefox and No-Script.

Not only you! See #27 (per domain settings). Unfortunately there are some more urgent things to do before that...

File "<stdin>", line 1

#131 2015-09-23 09:11:10

navi_se

The Compiler wrote:
navi_se wrote:

No - it's part of the search term sent to DuckDuckGo, and ddg resolves those (calling them bangs).

You can however define custom search engines in the config under [searchengines] and then use something like :open g foo (assuming you added a searchengine g).

Sorry for the silly question: how do you add searchengine other than the DEFAULT one? I've managed to finde the config pages and section from the help, but I don't know how to change it. I take it that there must be a conf file, but I couldn't read its location from the help (maybe it would be worth to add a mention to it on top of the config page? If I have not missed it, that is).

Loving your work so far!

#132 2015-09-23 09:47:18

karlch

You can edit ~/.config/qutebrowser/qutebrowser.conf in your favourite editor. As The Compiler wrote there is a section [searchengines]. The syntax used is simple and you can see how it is used in the DEFAULT searchengine. Then just define any search engine you would like to use, I e.g. use:

w = https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/{}

PS @The Compiler: absolutely great work, I've been using qutebrowser as my main browser for quite a while now and can't imagine going back.

#133 2015-09-23 10:31:27

The Compiler
Website

I recommend using the :set command instead, as editing the config file by hand comes with some gotchas until I get around to rewriting all the config stuff.

That'd be something like :set searchengines w https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/{} for example.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#134 2015-09-23 10:35:47

karlch

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! At the moment I only edit the config per hand and I have disabled auto-save-config, never had an issue and I think I have played with every part of it (:

#135 2015-09-23 11:18:06

navi_se

Both adding it in the .conf file or using set I get the wrong result.
Either in the .conf

g = http://www.google.com/?q={} 

or using set

:set searchengines g http://www.google.com/?q={}

then doing

:open g search-term 

leads me to the main page of google with the word typed in the search box. I then have to launch the search. How do I get the same behaviour of ddg ?

#136 2015-09-23 11:27:05

karlch

#137 2015-09-23 11:33:23

navi_se

Thanks smile

#138 2015-09-24 17:05:17

TheGasolineWillBeOurs

Is there a plan to add folders for bookmarks? This is the thing that stops me right now from seriously trying to use qutebrowser as my default browser. What I've seen so far looks amazing! Great work!

#139 2015-09-25 15:48:55

navi_se

Another question: is there a way to easily import customization from ~/.vimrc ? That would be pretty convenient, in particular the simple stuff like noremap configuration. smile

#140 2015-09-26 07:58:01

chickenPie4tea

th3voic3 wrote:

The big thing missing for me is a formfiller, that's why DWB is still the best "smaller" browser for me, just makes login to sites much more convenient. How do you guys manage without one? cut and paste, keepass, memory yikes

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#141 2015-09-26 09:24:40

navi_se

Indeed, it would be a great addition. I am essentialy using qute (or other "small" browser previousl) for work and general search, but if I am slacking-off/doing banking/amazon etc. I turn on chromium which has all my login and form infos.

#142 2015-09-26 20:36:01

skanky

chickenPie4tea wrote:
th3voic3 wrote:

The big thing missing for me is a formfiller, that's why DWB is still the best "smaller" browser for me, just makes login to sites much more convenient. How do you guys manage without one? cut and paste, keepass, memory yikes

Pass and passmenu for passwords. Memory for everything else.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#143 2015-09-27 19:46:13

The Compiler
Website

TheGasolineWillBeOurs wrote:

Is there a plan to add folders for bookmarks? This is the thing that stops me right now from seriously trying to use qutebrowser as my default browser. What I've seen so far looks amazing! Great work!

At some point, yeah - though it's not exactly a priority. I wonder, how would you use folders exactly, i.e. what do folders give you that using a quickmark with foo/bar as name doesn't?

navi_se wrote:

Another question: is there a way to easily import customization from ~/.vimrc ? That would be pretty convenient, in particular the simple stuff like noremap configuration. smile

I never thought of that! A script to do so would certainly be appreciated, but I don't know how well it'd work out, as an editor and a browser are kind of different things wink

chickenPie4tea wrote:

I use KeePassX and copy-paste, but some integration indeed would be nice - I plan to work on that as soon as there's a plugin API, see #30 and #180. There's also an userscript work-in-progress which integrates pass: #873

File "<stdin>", line 1

#144 2015-09-29 10:14:37

mbab

Would it be possible 'navigate increment' (incdec_number function) work on full url not only path.

Number are often in query string rather then path.

Any way thanks for Your work.

#145 2015-09-29 11:36:47

navi_se

The Compiler wrote:
navi_se wrote:

I never thought of that! A script to do so would certainly be appreciated, but I don't know how well it'd work out, as an editor and a browser are kind of different things wink

I have peeked at the code on github and I can understand why that is the case. I was thinking mainly of the very easy stuff such as the key remapping. That should be reasonable to perform (although my coding is not nearly good enough, especially when it comes to python). The thing that frustrates my a bit is that I have a few critical change in my vim keyboard layout, and having to switch between them when I come to the browser slightly confuses  my hands.

E.g. I have shifted the hjkl to jkl; which has plenty of advantages and I also have rebound tab to behave like esc so I don't have to reach too far. I would be willing to help and work this out, but I would probably require some assistance in understanding your code, so I dunno if any support from me could lead to any (short term) advantage. Long term I might be able to collaborate more though wink

#146 2015-09-29 14:38:37

andmars

I updated to python 3.5 from [testing] and rebuilt qutebrowser-git and it's deps. Now it crashes in a loop and wants to constantly send a bug-report:

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

SystemError: PyEval_EvalFrameEx returned a result with an error set
INFO: Request to www.googletagservices.com blocked by host blocker.
INFO: Request to pagead2.googlesyndication.com blocked by host blocker.
ERROR: Uncaught exception
TypeError: readData() takes 1 positional argument but 2 were given

WARNING: /usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qutebrowser/utils/version.py:165: PendingDeprecationWarning: dist() and linux_distribution() functions are deprecated in Python 3.5
and will be removed in Python 3.7
  osver = ', '.join([e for e in platform.dist() if e])

ERROR: ARGH, there was an exception while the crash dialog is already shown:

INFO: Request to pagead2.googlesyndication.com blocked by host blocker.
INFO: Request to tags.expo9.exponential.com blocked by host blocker.
INFO: Request to evania.adspirit.de blocked by host blocker.
INFO: Request to evania.adspirit.de blocked by host blocker.
INFO: Request to static.plista.com blocked by host blocker.
INFO: Request to www.google-analytics.com blocked by host blocker.

INFO: Request to static.plista.com blocked by host blocker.

INFO: Request to ad.adnet.de blocked by host blocker.

Last edited by andmars (2015-09-29 14:48:18)

#147 2015-09-29 18:56:59

The Compiler
Website

mbab wrote:

Would it be possible 'navigate increment' (incdec_number function) work on full url not only path.

Number are often in query string rather then path.

Any way thanks for Your work.

This was actually changed in a PR, but I agree adding the query probably makes sense. Do you have some real-world examples by any chance? I reopened #850 to track this.

navi_se wrote:
The Compiler wrote:
navi_se wrote:

I have peeked at the code on github and I can understand why that is the case. I was thinking mainly of the very easy stuff such as the key remapping. That should be reasonable to perform (although my coding is not nearly good enough, especially when it comes to python). The thing that frustrates my a bit is that I have a few critical change in my vim keyboard layout, and having to switch between them when I come to the browser slightly confuses  my hands.

E.g. I have shifted the hjkl to jkl; which has plenty of advantages and I also have rebound tab to behave like esc so I don't have to reach too far. I would be willing to help and work this out, but I would probably require some assistance in understanding your code, so I dunno if any support from me could lead to any (short term) advantage. Long term I might be able to collaborate more though wink

I don't see how this requires any understanding of the code - you'd just have a standalone script which writes a qutebrowser config file. Or did you think about something different? I'm always happy to help people getting started, the best place to get help is probably the IRC channel (#qutebrowser on Freenode).

andmars wrote:

I updated to python 3.5 from [testing] and rebuilt qutebrowser-git and it's deps. Now it crashes in a loop and wants to constantly send a bug-report: ...

I fixed this earlier today, so things should work out better when you update (or switch to -git). I plan to release a new version ASAP, hopefully somewhen this week.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#148 2015-09-29 20:41:31

andmars

The Compiler wrote:

I fixed this earlier today, so things should work out better when you update (or switch to -git). I plan to release a new version ASAP, hopefully somewhen this week.

Yes, after re-building from AUR qutebrowser is running fine again. Time for me to finally donate a few bucks to your good work.

#149 2015-09-29 20:58:22

karlch

I find the script to import mappings from the vimrc an interesting topic although I have no use for it personally. So I came up with this little script which basically greps for the mappings and then tries to substitute them in the keys.conf using vim. It will ask the user for confirmation as not all mappings are surely useful in qutebrowser (or the plain cut might not deliver the excpected result...).

#! /bin/bash

# Safety first
cp ~/.config/qutebrowser/keys.conf ~/.config/qutebrowser/keys.conf.bak
# Catch mappings from vimrc
cat ~/.vimrc | grep "map\|noremap\|nmap\|nnoremap" > ~/tmp.txt

# Run a substitution in vim for the mappings
IFS=$'\n'
for i in $(cat ~/tmp.txt)
do
    cur=$(echo $i | cut -d " " -f3)
    new=$(echo $i | cut -d " " -f2)
    vim +"%s /    ${cur}$/    ${new}TMP/ceI" +"wq" ~/.config/qutebrowser/keys.conf
done

# Remove the TMP which stops remapping recursively
vim +"%s /TMP$//" +"wq" ~/.config/qutebrowser/keys.conf
# Remove the file used for catching the mappings
rm ~/tmp.txt

I only tested it with a dummyvimrc including the four mappings equivalent to the ones mentioned by @nevi_se:

nnoremap j h
nnoremap k j
nnoremap l k
nnoremap ö l

The script almost definitely has flaws (I am rather new to shell scripting) and will have lots of empty runs (e.g. leader mappings, function mappings in the vimrc) but it could be a basis to work on. Have fun big_smile

EDIT: forgot to replace a testing file with the actual qutebrowser keys.conf

Last edited by karlch (2015-10-03 09:29:49)

#150 2015-09-29 22:44:50

navi_se

Neato! I was previously getting confused, as I couldn't find the file keys.conf, now it is much clearer. I'll test the script tomorrow and let you know how it works for me. Thanks big_smile

Board footer