You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-23 14:32:08

Ambrevar
Website

[SOLVED] Transfer photos to the iPad

I have an iPad with iOS 8.4.1. I would like to transfer pictures and videos from my computer to the iPad and display them from there.

I can mount it and write data to it without any problem. However the transfered data is not visible from the iPad. Photos do not show up in the 'Photos' application if I transfer them in the DCIM folder (next to the pictures taken by the iPad camera).

There is probably more to it than just copying the files. Any idea if there a Linux program able to sync the files?

After some tinkering, the picture I transfered finally showed up, but I am not able to point out what did the trick. One clue: I updated iOS on the iPad. (Which is obviously not a solution.)

I also tried a few apps for network transfers (e.g. FTP), namely FileExplorer and FileManager: I did not succeed in transfering anything. Any tip on the apps?

Last edited by Ambrevar (2015-09-29 12:42:59)

#2 2015-09-23 15:12:59

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Transfer photos to the iPad

I have zero experience with iOS, but it's possible that it uses some sort of cache that needs to be updated.  One way to test this would be to reboot or power-off/power-on after the transfer.  If this works, you could hunt for a better way to get the ipad to rebuild the cache.  I'm thinking of it a bit like linux desktop icons: after moving a .desktop file to the right directory, you need to run the update-icon-cache or whatever that is before they show up.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-09-23 17:40:43

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

http works

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#4 2015-09-27 18:59:39

Ambrevar
Website

@Trilby: Yep, this is what I was thinking too. Rebooting did not do it, but maybe the OS update did as I mentioned in the OP. I cannot find out how to trigger the cache rebuild though. There is a PhotoCacheSomething folder, which looks quite tough to reverse-engineer at first glance.

@Mr.Elendig: Can you be more specific?

#5 2015-09-27 20:05:15

ukhippo

You could run minidlna on your Arch system and use a DLNA app like "Media Connect" to view photos and videos. That also can save files to your camera roll — but I think the app needs updating for iOS9, since on my iPad trying to save files now crashes the app (viewing works fine though).

There are a lot of FTP client apps. I've used "TurboClientFree" and "FTP Client Free", amongst others. Saving to camera roll is usually a 2 step process — the FTP clients transfer files to the app's local storage, and you then subsequently select & export images/videos to the camera roll. Once transferred to the camera roll you can delete them from the app's local storage (otherwise you're just duplicating the files)

Last edited by ukhippo (2015-09-27 20:06:13)

#6 2015-09-29 02:02:44

bnb2235

#7 2015-09-29 12:42:46

Ambrevar
Website

Thanks for the various suggestions. "Image Transfer" is good enough for my needs. (and free as opposed to SImple Transfer.)
Problem solved!

#8 2015-09-29 19:27:59

Ambrevar
Website

By the way, I applied the update to iOS 9: it did not refresh the photo cache. So there is indeed a way to do it since it worked for me once. Too bad I cannot figure out how sad

#9 2015-09-29 21:27:33

bnb2235

And Photobackup works very well for me in the other direction. I find it the best way to keep my Camera roll backed up on my own computer for no cost. 5GB free from Apple is not enough... And the phone only holds so much too. So the simplicity of a single button to blindly copy all new pictures right to my own computer is really nice. For the other (better) half, it is also quite simple for her to get pictures off her iPad and onto the computer for image manipulation and backup. No wire, no extra steps to get the iOS device readable by my Arch box. Sales pitch over ;-)

Board footer