You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-21 03:02:33

Sirgin

learning strategies for non-professional IT folks wishing to progress

Hi folks,

This is my second bite at Arch in the past 5 years.
I am a long-term dabbler with Linux and a sometime loiterer around Arch.

Having finally got fed up with the re-install process intrinsic to Mint (my hitherto fav distribution),
I took the plunge and installed Arch over the weekend.

I am a long-term beginner (repeat-offender) at resolving to learn the command line, a non-IT professional
*with no daily reason taking me to the keyboard*, except a real interest in learning it for its own sake.
Which brings me to my question/survey/quest:

I would like to ask for suggestions and ideas from others as to:

1. strategies for someone like me; ie: not working in IT, who has time on their hands, a reason or project
to keep me coming back daily;
to give shape and focus to my daily use of the CLI;
to keep me progressing (off a very small base) in my acquaintance with and use of Arch.

Or, to put it in other terms:

2. how to "invent" a project that would give some *shape* and "job-definition" to my daily
exploration of CLI and Arch.

I guess it is a meta-learning thing I'm asking about;
how to find a way to design myself an artificial project, one that would be interesting and motivating, but not *necessarily*
with any real-world goal in mind,
to achieve a worthy and worthwhile end:  ongoing mastery of the command line and a deepening, solid working knowledge of Arch,
from bottom up*

Any ideas?

Regs,
Sirgin

Last edited by Sirgin (2015-09-27 16:02:39)

#2 2015-09-21 03:41:48

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: learning strategies for non-professional IT folks wishing to progress

I decided to automate as much of my workflow as possible, using bash, awk and other coreutils.

Start with the Bash Guide on the Wooledge Wiki and begin knitting together functionality with small scripts.

Moving to GNU/Linux Discussions as this is broader than just Arch...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-09-21 04:07:44

Sirgin

Thanks kindly Jason. Much appreciated and will definitely follow that up.
However, just while I have your helpful and informed attention, let me point out that
I have NO workflow!
I am a retired teacher who never set foot inside an IT office of any kind;
I have no authoring, publishing or other projects current to which I could apply myself with my Archlinux and basic grasp of CLine.
That's my problem: I am looking for a (necessarily, i guess) artificial project, because I am unemployed but simply very keen to
keep alive this little spark I've lit with Arch and make it bloom into a might raging firestorm, so that, somewhere down the track, I might
have enough experience to front at a tertiary education institution and sign on to do Computer Studies with focus on Linux.

#4 2015-09-21 04:14:22

Sirgin

I've just taken a look at your reference to Wooledge: pure gold.
Direct hit!
Thanks again ...

#5 2015-09-21 06:00:46

x33a
Forum Fellow

Sirgin wrote:

I would like to ask for suggestions and ideas from others as to:

1. strategies for someone like me; ie: not working in IT, who has time on their hands, a reason or project
to keep me coming back daily;
to give shape and focus to my daily use of the CLI;
to keep me progressing (off a very small base) in my acquaintance with and use of Arch.

First try to use as many CLI based software as possible. For instance, you can use mc or ranger for file navigation, mutt for reading mail, cmus or mpd for music. Also, try to learn tmux for easier control over your shells.

That's my problem: I am looking for a (necessarily, i guess) artificial project, because I am unemployed but simply very keen to
keep alive this little spark I've lit with Arch and make it bloom into a might raging firestorm, so that, somewhere down the track, I might
have enough experience to front at a tertiary education institution and sign on to do Computer Studies with focus on Linux.

Instead of creating a project of your own, first start by contributing to other projects. That way, you'll understand their workflow, which you can incorporate into your own.

#6 2015-09-21 07:47:39

Sirgin

Thanks kindly.

Will get those programs now and start exploring.

(My use of the word "project", which has a specific meaning in computer science or IT world, was actually intended (misleadingly, I now see) in the far broader sense of "something to do, using my baby linux skills" ie: some job or activity that would keep me digging deeper into Linux, not one that necessarily has any product or outcome, other than the benefits of engaging in the process so as to hone my skills by USING them on a daily basis)

Taking "project" in the sense of computer software development, your advice is clear as a bell and very prudent: baby steps; thank you kindly for the advice to help me on the way.

#7 2015-09-21 07:52:59

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Sirgin wrote:

I have NO workflow!

It is simple enough to create one. Install a tiling window manager and script all of the little utilities that you take for granted (assuming you are using a DE): a status bar that prints out system information, managing removable devices, running regular backups, etc. Each project will test you scripting skills, and will also teach you more about how your system works and how to effectively interact with it.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#8 2015-09-21 08:55:55

Sirgin

Excellent!
Ok, I'm doing some tutorials on scripting.

You've just given me my marching orders, starting tomorrow.

Cheers,
S.

#9 2015-09-21 11:08:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You could also do a bit of a "review" project.  One of our members 2ManyDogs has a well known and well regarded thread over on the crunchbang forums where they reviewed *many* window managers (was it titled 30 WMs in 30 days, I think, but ended up with more than that).  Then there is the blog (I can't recall the name at the moment) known for reviewing the best CLI programs.

Any such "review" projects require that you install, configure, and tinker with various software - this is the way to learn: by doing.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2015-09-21 11:15:34

Sirgin

Great idea. Added to my notes.
Thanks kindly.
S.

#11 2015-09-22 04:40:08

x33a
Forum Fellow

Trilby wrote:

Then there is the blog (I can't recall the name at the moment) known for reviewing the best CLI programs.

You mean kmandla's? If yes, then here are the links:

https://kmandla.wordpress.com/
https://inconsolation.wordpress.com/

#12 2015-09-22 10:38:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yup, that's the one I was thinking of.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#13 2015-09-22 10:47:30

Sirgin

thx again guys ...

broke a bone in left hand today ...
winged but ever-enthusiastic, i've been expressly forbidden by doc from typing, but couldn't forgo brief note of thx to all respondents...

see you all in 6 weeks when plaster is off and i can hit a keyboard again ...

#14 2015-09-23 04:34:25

x33a
Forum Fellow

Sorry to hear that, get better soon. Looks like other worldly forces are trying to prevent you from using CLI applications!

#15 2015-09-23 05:02:10

Sirgin

x33a wrote:

Sorry to hear that, get better soon. Looks like other worldly forces are trying to prevent you from using CLI applications!

thx kindly ...

(yes, i'll have to get someone to re-erect the tin-foil pagoda over my house again :-)
i took it down last year when i got a peace message transmitted via my brain; looks like the faithless bastards  are back to their old tricks)

i am lucky: just an undisplaced spiral fracture of #3 metacarpal, and that from falling off a ladder clutching a 3.5m python;
monsieur snake looked composed, if a little perplexed at my idiosyncratic "moves" but we both survived
(i moonlight as a snake-relocator)

#16 2015-09-27 13:13:52

basica

This is a bit of a long post, but this question made me reflect over how I have tried to do this in my own journey. In essence, I think the easiest (and longest) way you get familiar with Linux (and by extension any OS really) is by simply using it every day. Eventually after some time you encounter scenarios where you learn new things and based on previous experiences the new ones start getting less and less daunting. It also helps if you find opportunities for learning (like deciding to try setting up a website or a mail server in a VM for example).

I remember the first time I was trying to install ubuntu on my desktop, it was not my first exposure to Linux (the first distro I ever played around with was something called Lycoris) but it was the most positive and the most nerve-racking. I believe it 4.10 and even though it was always a beginner friendly distro, even at this time you still had to do some things in the command line. I remember wanting to install some programs that weren't in the default repositories and I had to uncomment out a few of them in a config file using nano in a terminal. I was paranoid the entire time and it took me probably 10mins to go over everything and make sure it was right and submit the commands.

Nevertheless, this was my first step in getting familiar with the command line. I started having to make other changes and as a result I got familiar with vim, and got real comfortable with the cp, mv, cd and ls commands. I eventually decided I wanted to have a personal blog and I friend gave me access to his server where I could host it on a subdomain. I learned about ssh, file permissions and simple bash scripts. I had been practicing setting up a wordpress site on a VM repeatedly that I got sick of typing all the commands all the time so I just copy pasted them into a file learned some basic concepts (like asking for input) and then much later on I learned how to program in Python and Java and that has helped me better understand general programming logic which in turn has allowed me to make more useful bash scripts.

After some time I decided to install and run Arch because for the longest time I had the impression that this was for intermediate+ Linux gurus and if I can manage to install it then surely I have reached a major milestone! So, I had it as my desktop system for a few months and during that time I learned a lot. Installing it a few times in a VM, and then on my desktop got me familiar with tools like cfdisk and mkfs, it also got me familiar with grub. Though I don't have it on my desktop, I still run it on my servers and they've been running just fine using it. Also, thanks to both my servers and my desktop, it has gotten me familiar with systemd too. I learned a lot thanks to Arch because things don't generally just work. Often something you take for granted in another distro, is something you have to either install extra, or configure to work how you'd expect.

After this I took the plunge and decided to try setting up an LFS system (Linux From Scratch). Once again, with much fear and trembling, and about 2 days of constant work - I had set up my own LFS system from scratch. I had learned a lot about the base packages in any Linux system, as well how to compile packages, find pertinent information in logs to troubleshoot problems and how just everything fits together from so many different angles and the work that goes into making a distro like Arch.

Most recently, I installed Gentoo as I had seen this as the final frontier. Thanks to my previous experiences, it really was a walk in the park setting it up and I've found that most of what I am learning is Gentoo specific rather than any sort of extra Linux information that I could apply elsewhere. I also found that more tinkering around is required for far less of the payoff than what you would get with Arch. TBH, it's fallen short of the image I had of it in my mind.

Anyways, I am rambling on now. I guess the point I am making is that Arch is a good choice. It doesn't "just work" and you're probably going to find yourself having to dig into the command line often to get things to work the way you like. I think if you use it for a couple months, you'll be amazed at what you learn.

Last edited by basica (2015-09-27 13:28:36)

#17 2015-09-27 13:25:36

frostschutz

I don't think an "artificial project" would get you anywhere, if it's not something that's actually useful / something you actually need.

I don't think mutt / mc / ... would help you to learn CLI; albeit text based they're still GUI programs so you can just as well stick to your graphical mail client / file browser.

In CLI you would only use command line tools; like cp, mv, mkdir, rsync, ... for file management and such. That's a start, once you're familiar with handling all sorts of file management in the terminal, other things should fall into place as well.

Last edited by frostschutz (2015-09-27 13:26:27)

#18 2015-09-27 13:37:27

Sirgin

basica wrote:

This is a bit of a long post, but this question made me reflect over how I have tried to do this in my own journey. In essence, I think the easiest (and longest) way you get familiar with Linux (and by extension any OS really) is by simply using it every day. Eventually after some time you encounter scenarios where you learn new things and based on previous experiences the new ones start getting less and less daunting. It also helps if you find opportunities for learning (like deciding to try setting up a website or a mail server in a VM for example).

Interesting journey, Basica.
Thanks for sharing it. Somewhat resembles mine in its initial stages, but you have moved on way down the track from me.

basica wrote:

After some time I decided to install and run Arch because for the longest time I had the impression that this was for intermediate+ Linux gurus and if I can manage to install it then surely I have reached a major milestone! So, I had it as my desktop system for a few months and during that time I learned a lot. Installing it a few times in a VM, and then on my desktop got me familiar with tools like cfdisk and mkfs, it also got me familiar with grub. Though I don't have it on my desktop, I still run it on my servers and they've been running just fine using it. Also, thanks to both my servers and my desktop, it has gotten me familiar with systemd too. I learned a lot thanks to Arch because things don't generally just work. Often something you take for granted in another distro, is something you have to either install extra, or configure to work how you'd expect.

I'm actually playing around in earnest with Antergos+openbox now, but since this is a fairly spartan offshoot of Arch, I feel I'm learning lots and have the chance to build my own thing and learn heaps from the tinkering.

Thanks again for the post which has some good ideas to mull over.

#19 2015-09-27 14:07:05

esa
Website

Since you say you have no workflow and we're in the GNU/Linux discussion, how about:

First read:
Coding Standards: http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/
Translating using gettext: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html

While preparing your documention:
texinfo: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/man … xinfo.html

Then, with your first example project following those guide lines, go ahead and dig into:
Autconf: http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/ma … oconf.html
Automake: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/ma … omake.html

I figured the hard way, created a project, and then had to apply (at least some of) these standards afterwards.. which caused lots of unrequired work...

Enjoy

Author of: TUI (Text User Interface for scripts), VHS (Video Handler Script, using ffmpeg) and YASSI (Yet Another Simple Script Installer)

#20 2015-09-27 23:48:37

basica

Sirgin wrote:

Interesting journey, Basica.
Thanks for sharing it. Somewhat resembles mine in its initial stages, but you have moved on way down the track from me.

Well, I've been at it for longer than you so it makes sense our paths have diverged. It's been 11 years since I first played around with ubuntu and probably 13 or so since I first had any exposure to Linux at all. Most of my real learning has been the last couple years when I decided to install Arch and then to play around with Linux From Scratch so because of my good experiences with those, I generally recommend trying Arch and LFS to anyone interested in learning more about Linux.

Sirgin wrote:

I'm actually playing around in earnest with Antergos+openbox now, but since this is a fairly spartan offshoot of Arch, I feel I'm learning lots and have the chance to build my own thing and learn heaps from the tinkering.

Thanks again for the post which has some good ideas to mull over.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Only advice I can give is just make sure the experience is enjoyable. If you're doing something you don't like just for the sake of learning, it won't pan out and it might even turn you off for a while. Much safer to stick with things you're enjoying and learn slower if you have to. Anyways, best of luck smile

#21 2015-09-28 00:01:42

Sirgin

Thanks for your input, esa: very interesting and pertinent;
just looking at it now.

esa wrote:

Since you say you have no workflow and we're in the GNU/Linux discussion, how about:

First read:
Coding Standards: http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/
Translating using gettext: http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/gettext.html

While preparing your documention:
texinfo: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/man … xinfo.html

Then, with your first example project following those guide lines, go ahead and dig into:
Autconf: http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/ma … oconf.html
Automake: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/ma … omake.html

I figured the hard way, created a project, and then had to apply (at least some of) these standards afterwards.. which caused lots of unrequired work...

Enjoy

Board footer