You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-01 09:17:08

alesandar

radeon not working under X

During boot (early KMS loading), I receive the following error. journalctl -xe:

kernel: radeon 0000:03:00.0: VCE init error (-110).

Seems to be related with microcode/firmware or something? The error came up for first time after system/kernel update (up to 4.2.1-1). After downgrading back to 4.1.5-1, the VCE init error is gone. Installed drivers: xf86-video-intel and xf86-video-ati.  However, xrandr has never listed my AMD/ATI graphics. xrandr --listproviders:

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x48 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

Here's the output of lspci -k:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Opal XT [Radeon R7 M265] (rev ff)

My mkinitcpio.conf includes:

MODULES="intel_agp i915 radeon"

Should I report the issue to the kernel's bugzilla or somewhere else? How I could provide further details? Thanks in advance.

Mod note: split from https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=190236 -- WorMzy

Last edited by WorMzy (2015-10-02 09:23:46)

#2 2015-10-01 12:02:22

Lone_Wolf

Re: radeon not working under X

alesandar, do you have early microcode updates configured (see Microcode wiki page)  ?

If yes, please post a full dmesg .

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2015-10-01 20:22:33

alesandar

What exactly do you mean? Should I make any additional microcode configurations if I use Grub? The wiki states:

grub-mkconfig will automatically detect the microcode update and configure grub appropriately.

linux-firmware and intel-ucode packages are up-to-date. dmesg | grep microcode:

[    0.000000] microcode: CPU0 microcode updated early to revision 0x1c, date = 2014-07-03
[    0.091766] microcode: CPU2 microcode updated early to revision 0x1c, date = 2014-07-03
[    0.756029] microcode: CPU0 sig=0x40651, pf=0x40, revision=0x1c
[    0.756036] microcode: CPU1 sig=0x40651, pf=0x40, revision=0x1c
[    0.756044] microcode: CPU2 sig=0x40651, pf=0x40, revision=0x1c
[    0.756051] microcode: CPU3 sig=0x40651, pf=0x40, revision=0x1c
[    0.756098] microcode: Microcode Update Driver: v2.00 <tigran@aivazian.fsnet.co.uk>, Peter Oruba

Here's the full dmesg pastebin.

#4 2015-10-01 22:39:15

Lone_Wolf

other bootloaders require manual configuration, i just needed to know if early intel microcode updates were applied and they are.

Afaict VCE support was added in kernel 4.2 , so it does make sense 4.1.x doesn't report it.
I do think reporting it as kernel bug is the correct way , not sure what other info they need though.

For clarity, you also couldn't get radeon working under kernel 4.1.x ?

[    3.576808] [drm] Radeon Display Connectors
[    3.583722] radeon 0000:03:00.0: No connectors reported connected with modes

Those lines do indicate your system uses hybrid graphics.
The most common cause for xrandr only showing 1 provider is faulty configration.
remove any /etc/X11/xorg.conf & files in /ETC/X11/xorg.conf.d/ folder, then try again.
If that doesn't help, post /var/log/xorg0.log .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2015-10-01 22:39:30)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#5 2015-10-01 23:18:33

judd1

Hi !

Maybe this can help http://xpressrazor.wordpress.com/2013/1 … amd-setup/, and if it works better.-

Last edited by judd1 (2015-10-01 23:27:27)

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong.
-- Wolfgang Pauli --

#6 2015-10-02 04:08:30

alesandar

Lone_Wolf, you were right. It's because of my Xorg configuration. I read about that, but really didn't expected to make it work in my case, as far as my configuration is really simple and exactly the same as the examples mentioned on the Arch wiki. I don't use xorg.conf file. All of my configuration files are nested within the xorg.conf.d folder. After moving that folder to another place, xrandr successfully listed both of my cards. About my setup - my graphics were identified within a single file called 20-graphics.conf, but I decided to split that file into 20-intel.conf and 20-radeon.conf, then I made a few of test-cases, followed by many reboots around 06:00 AM and now I'm finally there. The test cases simply included or excluded the aforestated files from my xorg.conf.d folder.

With 20-intel.conf, but without 20-radeon.conf - xrandr won't list the Radeon (yeah, I know it sounds obvious).
With 20-radeon.conf, but without 20-intel.conf - my X session won't start at all (black screen and redirection back to the command line).
If both of the files are loaded (which should be exactly the same as it was before I split the 20-graphics.conf) - xrandr lists only the Intel graphics.
Without both of the files - xrandr lists both of the cards, as I've already mentioned.

Provider 0: id: 0x7a cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel
Provider 1: id: 0x51 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:radeon

Could you check my files and tell me what could be so wrong about four simple lines of code?

20-intel.conf:

Section "Device"
   Identifier				"Intel"
   Driver				"intel"
EndSection

20-radeon.conf:

Section "Device"
   Identifier				"Radeon"
   Driver				"radeon"
EndSection

The Arch wiki states that it should be okay not to provide the BusID, right? It was actually there, but as far as it didn't change anything, I decided to remove that line and see if the problem hides there.

#7 2015-10-02 09:27:35

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

alesandar, I have split off your conversation into a new topic as it doesn't seem to be the same problem.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#8 2015-10-02 11:52:33

Lone_Wolf

alesandar wrote:

The Arch wiki states that it should be okay not to provide the BusID, right?

It's a bit more complicated then that, if there's only 1 videocard you can leave out the BusID .
With MORE THEN 1 videocard , each card needs it's BusID and those BusIDs neet to be exactly correct.
As kernel (lspci, lsusb etc) and X use different notations for BusId it can be tricky to get them correct.

General recommendation with recent X versions (younger then 3-4 years) is to use X autodetect, unless you need to change some settings.

Are there card-specific settings you NEED to change ?

Sidenote : X wiki page does mention you need BusId for more then 1 card, but it's easy to miss that.

#9 2015-10-03 08:23:58

alesandar

WorMzy, excuse me for bloating the other thread and thank you for splitting it off into a new one.
Lone_Wolf, it was already mentioned that I've tried to provide the BusID, but without any luck. That was my initial configuration.

Section "Device"
   Identifier				"Intel"
   Driver				"intel"
   BusID				"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier				"Radeon"
   Driver				"radeon"
   BusID				"PCI:3:0:0"
EndSection

However, I've also tried to replace the BusID with the full ID (including the zeros) as it was printed by the lspci command (eg. PCI:00:02:0 and PCI:03:00:0 in my case), but I still can't get xrandr to print my radeon. Here's the related lspci ouput:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Opal XT [Radeon R7 M265] (rev ff)

#10 2015-10-03 11:55:34

Lone_Wolf

I do know X and lspci use different notation of Bus ID, but am not entirely clear about the differences .

Please answer this question :

General recommendation with recent X versions (younger then 3-4 years) is to use X autodetect, unless you need to change some settings.

Are there card-specific settings you NEED to change ?

#11 2015-11-24 17:43:27

k44

I have the same issue. It looks more than a kernel update issue if my few Google searches are right

#12 2015-11-25 12:22:42

alesandar

Hey there, excuse for the late reply! I was kind of busy, but finally decided to come back with some useful information. After I moved all xorg.conf.d files into a back-up folder and started my Xsession, Xrandr has successfully detected my external GPU! Here's a short snippet from the command-line.

lspci -k | grep "VGA"

lspci -k | grep "AMD"

xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x7a cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 na
Provider 1: id: 0x51 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 2 outputs: 0 associated

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile

xrandr --setprovideroffloadsink radeon Intel

env DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo | grep "OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD OLAND (DRM 2.42.0, LLVM 3.7.0)

Seems like everything is perfect, isn't it? Well..

The xorg.conf.new file, nested in my root folder, generated with Xorg :1 -configure (within an already running Xsession), seems to be okay (pastebin).
But if I try to start my session with that file (or if it's simply moved to /etc/X11/xorg.conf), we're back to the "xrandr specifies only one output provider" issue, showing only the Intel GPU. By the way, the command above also prints "(II) [KMS] Kernel modesetting enabled."

However, Xorg :0 -configure fails even if my Xsession is not started. Is this a normal behaviour?
Here's the /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Please consider the following error: [  2299.511] (EE) RADEON(1): No modes.

If I don't use xorg.conf file(s) at all, and xrandr detects both of the GPUs and journalctl doesn't print any errors (EE). The Radeon modules are properly loaded.
Here's an Xorg.0.log that has been generated in the aforestated conditions (without any errors, but some nice autodetection about Radeon that may be helpful.)

Any ideas?

#13 2016-02-08 14:26:29

k44

I still have the same issue after upgrading to kernel 4.4
Does anyone made the «VCE init error» disappear ?

#14 2016-03-27 04:13:44

1stbscout

yes I got it to disappear. But after chasing several other errors I have lost my notes. Along with the registration question. I do not remember positively but I know it is in the kernel config. I just finished a lfs build using Arch as the home system. I am not sure but it seems to me the cure was 2 or 3 fold.
1. remove all other video drivers from the kernel config except the one for your machine.
2. make sure you build support into the kernel for the loading of firmware.
3. drm and kms helper need to be config for the kernel.
4. (I use grub2 so if you don't you will have to figure this part out) remove all other drivers from your grub.cfg except load_video insmod VBE.
5. be sure there is a font file in the font folder of /boot/grub not real important which one just one that grub can use.
6. Set gfxmode to auto add lines insmod gfxterm and gfxpayload=keep
7. make sure you have the firmware for your card installed in /lib/firmware/ <name of your card> I also left it in the main folder just in case.
My machine has a Radeon HD7770 card. All the info says firmware is VERDE. but it also uses a couple from TAHITI. For me it I think it was adding the Tahiti firmware that got rid of the last error. Not sure if this will help anyone.
Luck in your search. I spent nearly 2 weeks figuring this out on my machine.

Board footer