You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-02 17:03:12

nivata

[SOLVED] Packages installed with pip, after upgrade to Python3.5

Hi everyone,

This is a simple question, but i haven't been able to find a satisfying answer on the web. Today I just upgraded my system and went from Python 3.4 to Python 3.5. However, I had some packages installed locally with 'pip install --user' (so they don't conflict with pacman!). But they are located under ~/.local/lib/python3.4, and now 'pip list' or 'pip freeze' will only look into packages installed under ~/.local/lib/python3.5, so I can't 'pip uninstall' any package I had installed previously with pip!

Now my question is, is there a way to make pip list also those packages? Is it safe to just delete files under ~/.local/lib/python3.4 and reinstall them with pip (in user-space)? How do I know it didn't create some clutter elsewhere? If those packages had been installed system-wide (with 'sudo pip install' I imagine it could have been quite bad =/

Last edited by nivata (2015-10-03 15:53:41)

#2 2015-10-02 17:29:51

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] Packages installed with pip, after upgrade to Python3.5

It is safe to just nuke the python3.4 dir. Sidenote venvs are awesome, also making a PKGBUILD for python stuff is usually trivial.
As for the future, dump the package list before you update python.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2015-10-02 17:30:24)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2015-10-03 15:47:23

nivata

Re: [SOLVED] Packages installed with pip, after upgrade to Python3.5

Ok, well, good to know then!
There are a lot of PyPI packages, so making a PKGBUILD systematically when you can try them quickly with pip is a bit tedious. But then even with the --local option I wasn't sure if it was simply putting stuff in the ~/.local/lib folder, or maybe it could have copied some documentation elsewhere, I don't know.

Anyhow, marking this thread as [SOLVED].

Board footer