You are not logged in.

#726 2015-09-25 15:52:37

aaditya

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:
aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

My bash is gone. I had to booted archlinux live iso,  copy libncurses.so.5 and then chrooted and downgrade bash and a couple of things.
I prefer an uptodate repo from Aaditya.
Thanks for the advice,

Hi Xan,

As far as I know, Nous has already updated the openrc-core package, you can check it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/archopenrc/rss?path=/

Does it mean that it is compiled against ncurses 6.0?

Downloaded the package and ran ldd on it, and it seems the answer is no.

I will try to update it when I get some time.

#727 2015-09-26 04:42:43

x33a
Forum Fellow

@ aaditya,

actually libeinfo.so.1 seems to be linked against ncurses 6. I am not sure whether openrc binary needs to be compiled against it too.

#728 2015-09-26 15:41:22

aaditya

x33a wrote:

@ aaditya,

actually libeinfo.so.1 seems to be linked against ncurses 6. I am not sure whether openrc binary needs to be compiled against it too.

Maybe it automatically gets picked up:

$ ldd openrc
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff2e3e9000)
	libutil.so.1 => /lib64/libutil.so.1 (0x00007f562688a000)
	librc.so.1 => /usr/lib64/librc.so.1 (0x00007f562667d000)
	libeinfo.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libeinfo.so.1 (0x00007f5626477000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f5626273000)
	libpam.so.0 => not found
	libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f5625ea7000)
	libncurses.so.5 => /lib64/libncurses.so.5 (0x00007f5625c50000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x000055dd635fc000)

I am at my system now and will have a go at the updating the package(s).

Edit-

Updated the repo, put in new openrc-core package as version 0.17-2.1 (previous was 0.17.3)

Last edited by aaditya (2015-09-26 16:26:21)

#729 2015-09-26 17:32:14

xanb

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:
aaditya wrote:

Hi Xan,

As far as I know, Nous has already updated the openrc-core package, you can check it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/archopenrc/rss?path=/

Does it mean that it is compiled against ncurses 6.0?

Downloaded the package and ran ldd on it, and it seems the answer is no.

I will try to update it when I get some time.

Let us know that ;-) and thanks for your effort.

Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

#730 2015-09-29 05:32:30

zwa

I just installed openrc on Arch, it was easier than I thought. However I followed the instructions in http://systemd-free.org/install.php, not the ones in the wiki. IMO the steps are more clearly explained in that website.

Last edited by zwa (2015-09-29 14:26:37)

#731 2015-09-29 09:31:03

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

zwa wrote:

I just installer openrc on Arch, it was easier than I thought. However I followed the instructions in http://systemd-free.org/install.php, not the ones in the wiki. IMO the steps are more clearly explained in that website.

If you want to follow known broken instructions, that's your call. The wiki expects you to understand what's actually happening. That said, as with any wiki page it's open to suggestions.

Anyway you guys really should add more strict depends to your packages, e.g. depends=('libncurses.so.6')

Last edited by Alad (2015-09-29 09:38:08)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#732 2015-09-29 14:25:26

zwa

Alad wrote:

If you want to follow known broken instructions, that's your call.

Really? why do you say so? The forum search function does not return any meaningful result about that.

#733 2015-09-29 14:35:08

Lone_Wolf

zwa, check my post earlier in this thread : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1549109

Although it's now a bit clearer then when i wrote that post, systemd-free page still doesn't make clear the huge potential of problems by doing everything in one go.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2015-09-29 14:49:39)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#734 2015-09-29 14:52:01

toxygen

Lone_Wolf wrote:

zwa, check my post earlier in this thread : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1549109

Although it's now a bit clearer then when i wrote that post, systemd-free page still doesn't make clear the huge potential of problems by doing everything in one go.

is there any guide then for either apg or artoo's method that doesnt involve going through the wiki and this thread and digging through the various changes?
i originally installed with the systemd-free method as well, and all seems to be working (other than a hiccup in the last month with polkit, but it seems to be fixed with the last update).  but other potential users who wish to switch would have a difficult time if they have to go digging for updates in this thread for changes on configuration/scripts/etc

"I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here:
Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?"

#735 2015-09-29 14:57:22

zwa

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The systemd-free page appears to have improved somewhat after i wrote that, but it's still far from what it should be in my opinion.

Well I did install openrc first in a VM to test it and then with a fresh install in my notebook after that. So far so good. Your concerns seem to be aimed at existing arch installations that may already have some problems to start with. It's a good point though, also, a Arch install that has some tweaking and lots of packages installed will be probably more prone to fail after installing openrc. Unless you double check everything and of course alternative packages work alright.

#736 2015-09-30 20:51:40

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

https://github.com/AladW/init-config/tree/master

So, basically:

1. Install the init, rc, scripts and init-config packages
2. run `svclist`, configure services (here with rc update), and install/enable cron if not done already
3. set the hostname, kernel modules and keymap
4. add your user to legacy groups (audio, video, etc)

Reboot and done - the first step would have replaced the /sbin/init symlink. To undo it, remove the init-config package and reinstall systemd-sysvcompat.

Compare to that horrid 20-step program of systemd-free. tongue

Last edited by Alad (2015-09-30 21:05:53)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#737 2015-10-02 19:00:10

zwa

If you guys have a openrc package related problem, then I suggest posting in other thread with the [OpenRC] tag. This is because browsing this big thread is very tedious and inefficient. If you do as I suggest, other users could access valuable information more easily.
Just my two cents.

#738 2015-10-03 00:13:08

nous
Website

Alad wrote:

https://github.com/AladW/init-config/tree/master

So, basically:

1. Install the init, rc, scripts and init-config packages
2. run `svclist`, configure services (here with rc update), and install/enable cron if not done already
3. set the hostname, kernel modules and keymap
4. add your user to legacy groups (audio, video, etc)

Reboot and done - the first step would have replaced the /sbin/init symlink. To undo it, remove the init-config package and reinstall systemd-sysvcompat.

Compare to that horrid 20-step program of systemd-free. tongue

Ah, another easy way... Pardon me, doc, but those are just as many steps, most masqueraded behind a PKGBUILD. The purpose of verbosity in systemd-free's pages is to clarify what's done and why - they could just as easily become a two-liner pacman and a few edits afterwards.

And anyway, aren't you the same fellow who a few months back objected that there isn't an easy way out or people would run around like headless chickens? What's changed now? Prove me wrong and put your method in the wiki; those people would be more than thankful if any working migration guide was over there (and not a single fsck.vfat will be given if that's systemd-free's or anyone else's).

What's more, we would be glad to include your method in systemd-free.org, if you took the time and elaborated a little (or basically provided a simple html page).

Please remember, this is a spare-time effort of three or four hobbyists. Everybody's more than welcome to contribute and all suggestions or bug reports are very valuable.

#739 2015-10-03 16:15:08

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

If you guys have a openrc package related problem, then I suggest posting in other thread with the [OpenRC] tag. This is because browsing this big thread is very tedious and inefficient. If you do as I suggest, other users could access valuable information more easily.
Just my two cents.

Maybe a mod can split all the artoo/apg/systemd-free/etc stuff to a separate thread in TGN.

nous wrote:

Ah, another easy way... Pardon me, doc, but those are just as many steps, most masqueraded behind a PKGBUILD. The purpose of verbosity in systemd-free's pages is to clarify what's done and why - they could just as easily become a two-liner pacman and a few edits afterwards.

My main issue is - like pointed out many times - is that there's little distinction between the various steps in your guide. And most of them - like removing systemd, using eudev, migrating sysctl, using an unofficial repo, making changes to passwd, sysrq-trigger - are not needed at all and more so, are just asking for trouble. Even consolekit is optional in most cases (and if you do use it, you should avoid using groups - see Ubuntu wiki).

All the while others that -are- required, like xorg-xwrapper, are hidden behind a massive pacman command.

And anyway, aren't you the same fellow who a few months back objected that there isn't an easy way out or people would run around like headless chickens? What's changed now? Prove me wrong and put your method in the wiki; those people would be more than thankful if any working migration guide was over there (and not a single fsck.vfat will be given if that's systemd-free's or anyone else's).

Maybe you should check the PKGBUILD above before making witty comments - every file has a reference to the respecitve wiki section, and there's even an install file to detail all the steps. It's merely a convenience for those who already followed the steps manually. I have no objections on adding it as a Tip to the wiki.

What's more, we would be glad to include your method in systemd-free.org, if you took the time and elaborated a little (or basically provided a simple html page).

Please remember, this is a spare-time effort of three or four hobbyists. Everybody's more than welcome to contribute and all suggestions or bug reports are very valuable.

My first suggestion would be to remove nonsense like:

"The Archlinux OpenRC wiki page doesn't contain information on the migration process anymore but instead links to other resources, not always Arch-specific. "

It 1. contains all you need to know 2. one of the main ideas behind Arch is that you can use upstream documentation and have it working.

edit:

nous wrote:

I wasn't, but it doesn't surprise me. Since Arch is a full-throttle systemd distro (and artoo isn't particularly fond of systemd, which he doesn't bother to hide), they preferred a side-by-side solution than a complete systemd removal. The latter would cause unwanted support demands in their forums. One such question caused the removal of systemd-free.org's reference in the OpenRC-wiki page... So, the best solution is to move from Arch to other, less pro-systemd distros. I, for one, have stopped new Arch installations, preferring Manjaro-OpenRC instead. I like pacman, not Arch.

Amusing.

Last edited by Alad (2015-10-03 16:36:11)

#740 2015-10-03 17:48:11

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I suspect this thread has run it's course and now seems to primarily attract unhelpful debates and semantic arguments.

I'm closing this now, not to indicate that openRC isn't a welcome topic, but that the announcement of the relevant AUR packages has been long since made - that was (I believe) the purpose of this thread.

There are periodic technical issues addressed well in this thread, but I am inclined to agree with zwa that these might be best served in their own threads where they can focus on the issue at hand and become a resource for the community if/when they are solved.

Thanks to everyone who has worked hard on making openRC a reality in arch - and also to those who have contributed to any of the various useful resources users can chose from to learn from.

If anyone feels that this thread should not be closed (particularly artoo as it was their thread to start with) feel free to contact me via email.  But to reiterate, the closing is in no way punitive - it looks like the purpose of the thread was served, and now we can seal it up to keep out flies.

Closed.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer