You are not logged in.

#7126 2015-10-04 14:23:50

Jannis

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Palmitoxico wrote:

in the worst case I'll make a dual boot with some ubuntu derivative and install the crappy Catalyst.

You can also install catalyst alongside the open drivers and only boot with catalyst when you want to play that game.

You'd have to add the [catalyst] repo (gpg key and mirror links are on Vi0l0's wiki page) and then follow the instructions from this post.
That way you can switch between the the drivers easily.

#7127 2015-10-04 14:29:18

Jannis

turtlepleasure wrote:

I upgraded catalyst to 15.9 (conveniently I use linux-lts anyway). Then tried upgrading to xorg-server 1.17 from 1.16 and got a bunch of messages like this:

:: xorg-server and xf86-video-ast are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xf86-video-ast? [y/N]
:: xorg-server and xf86-video-cirrus are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xf86-video-cirrus? [y/N]

Is it safe to remove these? Or should I just wait until the new repo is set up for 1.17?

Should be safe to remove, I don't have them installed and I can't even find them in either official repos or aur.

#7128 2015-10-04 15:14:09

Palmitoxico

Jannis wrote:

You can also install catalyst alongside the open drivers and only boot with catalyst when you want to play that game.

You'd have to add the [catalyst] repo (gpg key and mirror links are on Vi0l0's wiki page) and then follow the instructions from this post.

In this case I would have to install an older kernel right? And another DE as the gnome-shell doesn't like Catalyst. I'm using systemd-boot, it's possible to start/enable/disable services directly in the boot entries? If so I would disable gdm when booting with Catalyst.

#7129 2015-10-04 16:31:33

Vi0L0
Website

Palmitoxico wrote:
Jannis wrote:

In this case I would have to install an older kernel right?

Use linux-lts for catalyst and linux for radeon.

Palmitoxico wrote:

And another DE as the gnome-shell doesn't like Catalyst. I'm using systemd-boot, it's possible to start/enable/disable services directly in the boot entries? If so I would disable gdm when booting with Catalyst.

gnome 3.16 works fine here, as well as gdm (without hacks or fixes).

Palmitoxico wrote:

I'm using systemd-boot, it's possible to start/enable/disable services directly in the boot entries? If so I would disable gdm when booting with Catalyst.

I suggest putting systemctl entries into pxp_switch_catalyst script, just make backup as it will be overwritten on update.

Jannis wrote:
turtlepleasure wrote:

I upgraded catalyst to 15.9 (conveniently I use linux-lts anyway). Then tried upgrading to xorg-server 1.17 from 1.16 and got a bunch of messages like this:

:: xorg-server and xf86-video-ast are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xf86-video-ast? [y/N]
:: xorg-server and xf86-video-cirrus are in conflict (X-ABI-VIDEODRV_VERSION). Remove xf86-video-cirrus? [y/N]

Is it safe to remove these? Or should I just wait until the new repo is set up for 1.17?

Should be safe to remove, I don't have them installed and I can't even find them in either official repos or aur.

These oldie drivers were removed from 1.17 : https://www.archlinux.org/news/xorg-ser … vailable/|

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2015-10-04 16:39:25)

#7130 2015-10-06 14:01:33

Primoz

Is it possible, that because of the new upgrade my "computer" (probably X server) would just freeze up from time to time?
Last few days I had problems with freezing in KDE. First I thought it was something to do with torrents and external hard drive, but after some trouble shooting that was proven not to be the case.
Then I thought it might be because of going to linux-lts, because I just left linux and modules depended on it in /boot. And while uninstalling it and vhba-module removed the [failed] error from start-up about systemctl systemd-modules-load, my computer still freezes.
So pretty much the only obvious thing would be X server, given that when it freezes up, it's windows first, then keyboard, and at the end mouse.

I wish I could troubleshoot it better, but while htop tells me that there is a surge in CPU usage just before it freezes, it strangely doesn't tell me what program is using up the CPU, plus only one core is at 100% other way below.

I do have AMD APU, which might be the reason why my CPU goes up (maybe something with driver?)

Anyway, I hope someone gets some useful information from this rambling, because I have no idea what's happening and this is last resort before starting a stand-alone thread.
I just want to have as much information as possible, before I do that, because as you can see, I have no idea what's happening.

P.S.: I did consider that it might be a KDE problem, but none of the important packages were upgraded right before the freezing started. (unless it's something to do with libpng, but I doubt that)

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#7131 2015-10-06 14:04:58

snack

Primoz wrote:

P.S.: I did consider that it might be a KDE problem, but none of the important packages were upgraded right before the freezing started. (unless it's something to do with libpng, but I doubt that)

I got some similar "slow freezes" (first display, then mouse etc.) on my Plasma 5 desktop, but I'm using the open source driver. Similarly to you I initially guessed that the oss driver was the culprit, but given that we get a similar issue with different driver I would blame KDE...

#7132 2015-10-06 17:03:43

Primoz

Well I disabled lockscreen, and so far so good.
Earlier today with screen locking still enabled my screen froze, but then I decided to just try and disable it (because it's a desktop computer, that only I use) and since then I haven't gotten a frozen screen.
I'll do a few tests to really be certain, but it seems it really was KDEs fault, I just don't know what caused it. I guess it has something to do with update of either signon or libaccounts.
I'll post my finding to KDE thread as well.

#7133 2015-10-06 20:23:27

joelisntmyname

Primoz wrote:

Is it possible, that because of the new upgrade my "computer" (probably X server) would just freeze up from time to time?

I've experienced a similar issue actually. Not using KDE though, using Awesome.
After about 30m of use my computer would lock up entirely and only a hard reboot would get it working again. This happened twice in a row (with only chromium and ncmpcpp open) until I disabled tear free in amdccle and it hasn't yet done it since.
This only happened since the latest update. Could even be completely unrelated because I haven't yet enabled tear free to see if it's the issue, too scared to try it tongue

edit: I also remember turning off hardware acceleration in chromium just in case that was an issue, and yeah, I haven't tested with it on since.

Last edited by joelisntmyname (2015-10-06 20:27:01)

#7134 2015-10-06 21:32:16

Primoz

I thought I've solved the problem, but I just recovered from another freeze. So I'll disable tear free and see what happens.

#7135 2015-10-07 08:42:18

schizo-ri

My system also has this issue. I think I ruled out any hardware issue that could be culprit for this freezes. Also using LTS kernel and latest Catalyst but with Xfce. Other people reported problems with latest LTS kernel although I have a problem with 4.1.8 also. So maybe kernel is where we have to have a first look.

EDIT: Actually I checked history and kernel-lts 4.1.9-2 was installed last 3 days in which I had this problem. I downgraded the kernel so I'll see if system will freeze again.

Last edited by schizo-ri (2015-10-07 09:44:08)

#7136 2015-10-07 17:29:34

Primoz

Tear free wasn't the actual problem, I've posted a longer version in KDE thread, but I think it might be something with internet connection.
I'm hoping nettop will provide me with some answers.

#7137 2015-10-07 20:28:40

joelisntmyname

Primoz wrote:

Tear free wasn't the actual problem, I've posted a longer version in KDE thread, but I think it might be something with internet connection.
I'm hoping nettop will provide me with some answers.

yeah, odd. It actually gave me the crash again after 14+ hours of stability, so yeah it couldn't have fixed it. Sorry!

schizo-ri wrote:

My system also has this issue. I think I ruled out any hardware issue that could be culprit for this freezes. Also using LTS kernel and latest Catalyst but with Xfce. Other people reported problems with latest LTS kernel although I have a problem with 4.1.8 also. So maybe kernel is where we have to have a first look.

EDIT: Actually I checked history and kernel-lts 4.1.9-2 was installed last 3 days in which I had this problem. I downgraded the kernel so I'll see if system will freeze again.

Oh yay, that's good news, sorta, as in we might be closer to finding a solution.
There was an update to linux-lts when I upgraded this morning to  4.1.10-1, so I'm going to give that a try and see if the freezes happen again, and if it does i'll go back to an older version.

#7138 2015-10-07 20:46:37

Vi0L0
Website

I'm not experiencing freezes (btw im on mesa-git), but I just get notification from AUR about comment from user er***(starred intentionally, maybe (s)he don't want to be recognized). Looks like (s)he removed comment and account (odd, yes) but I still decided to paste it here because it may be useful, hope (s)he don't mind:

er*** wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I updated catalyst-utils to 15.9-2 using 4.1.9-2-lts. Everything
worked well. For about 2 days later I updated mesa ([2015-10-05 00:47]
[ALPM] upgraded mesa (11.0.1-1 -> 11.0.2-1)). Since then my system was
suffering from random freeze (2-20 minutes uptime). No num lock key,
no SysRq, no anything. Once  happened that I was watching a Youtube
video, sudden freeze came and I heard the music from the video one
more minute after the system freeze (I don't know if it means/helps
anything).

I checked my systemd log and I found nothing specific. I checked my
pacman.log looking for a clue. First I thought the problem was related
to python (because there were lots of python related update at that
time), but the problem seems to be related to mesa. I downgraded mesa
([2015-10-07 20:21] [ALPM] downgraded mesa (11.0.2-1 -> 10.6.7-1),
chosen version number is arbitrary) and my system seems to be OK now.

Is there anyone who experienced the same?

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2015-10-07 20:48:37)

#7139 2015-10-08 01:14:30

Niccola

@Vi0L0,
I followed your post #7086
but I am still unable to boot into login manager neither startx.

this is my setup:
Radeon HD 6770M
Core Intel i7 2nd gen
So, Im on Intel/AMD Hybrid Graphics
BIOS set to dynamic and muxless switchable

I am on linux-lts 4.1.10
Gnome 3.16
downgraded xorg back to 1.16
installed catalyst as your post I referred above

executed:

systemctl enable atieventsd
systemctl enable catalyst-hook
nomodeset on linux boot entry
aticonfig --initial

I must say that after aticonfig --initial command, I had "no supported adapters detected"

output:
boot locked on black screen and white letters saying:
[drm:radeon_init] *ERROR* No UMS support in radeon module

then appears a white screen saying: Oh no! Something has gone wrong message (from Gnome) and a logout button only that if pressed, return to black screen then same screen appears again.
So it ends into a loop situation.

What is happening? Is my hardware not compatible? What should I do?

#7140 2015-10-08 09:29:33

schizo-ri

Downgrading linux-lts and linux-lts-headers to 4.1.8-1 solved my problem. There are several threads describing freezing issue with 4.1.9. Some say it's the same with 4.1.10.

#7141 2015-10-08 09:52:52

Primoz

I really hope there's some other way of fixing it, because I just recently purged my /var/pacman/pkg folder...
So I can't downgrade.

#7142 2015-10-08 10:12:36

alionka

I hope this info is usefull:
https://github.com/kolasa/fglrx-core-15.201

#7143 2015-10-08 10:59:45

Morn

Primoz wrote:

I really hope there's some other way of fixing it, because I just recently purged my /var/pacman/pkg folder...
So I can't downgrade.

Yes, you can: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ck_Machine

#7144 2015-10-08 11:34:32

Primoz

Morn wrote:
Primoz wrote:

So I can't downgrade.

Yes, you can: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ck_Machine

Oh thanks, I kind of forgot about that.
So here's what I'm doing and will do:
Now I just downgraded mesa. I'll see what this does.
If I'll still get freezes, then I'll downgrade Kernel, and if I still get freezes, then I have no idea what to do any more.

#7145 2015-10-08 12:54:18

olive

I have a HD6750 (connected to a 2560x1440 dual dvi monitor) graphic card and for me the catalyst driver (tested the last catalyst from the Vi0l0 repository) doesn't work fine. Scrolling and moving windows are sluggish. Even 3D (tested with google earth is not very smooth). I confirm that I have installed all the 3D component properly (if not it become unusuably slow). I have none of these problems with the OSS driver where everything seem to be smoother.  Is it a known bug? Are there any pother people for which the proprietary driver works better than the OSS driver (may be for the very newer card?). I am a little puzzled here.

Last edited by olive (2015-10-08 12:54:41)

#7146 2015-10-08 16:46:24

Niccola

And so how to downgrade from linux-lts 4.1.10 to 4.1.8 and "lock" this version to not be upgraded?

#7147 2015-10-08 16:58:40

olive

Niccola wrote:

And so how to downgrade from linux-lts 4.1.10 to 4.1.8 and "lock" this version to not be upgraded?

You will do that the same way as any other package. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do … g_packages

If you have the old version in /var/cache pacman/pkg, install it with pacman -U. Otherwise find it with the help of: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ck_Machine. You might also use downgrade (from the AUR) that will automatically look in the ARM and propose you the available downgrade.

To prevent further upgrading, put

IgnorePkg   = linux-lts

in /etc/pacman.conf. But be aware that you might break further dependencies. Especially package that provide kernel module that you may need to downgrade as well.

Just a question: what problems do you experience with the 4.10 version?

#7148 2015-10-08 17:26:05

Niccola

olive wrote:
Niccola wrote:

You will do that the same way as any other package. See: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Do … g_packages

If you have the old version in /var/cache pacman/pkg, install it with pacman -U. Otherwise find it with the help of: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … ck_Machine. You might also use downgrade (from the AUR) that will automatically look in the ARM and propose you the available downgrade.

To prevent further upgrading, put

IgnorePkg   = linux-lts

in /etc/pacman.conf. But be aware that you might break further dependencies. Especially package that provide kernel module that you may need to downgrade as well.

Just a question: what problems do you experience with the 4.10 version?

The problems I have is described at post #7139 (about 8 posts above this one)

*** No supported adapters found
*** Boot freezing
*** "Oh, No! Something went wrong" gnome message on boot

#7149 2015-10-08 18:08:35

Vi0L0
Website

@Niccola:
I just noted that I'm also getting problems on gdm (gnome itself is ok)... It was working no more than 3 weeks ago <sigh>. Check other dm - lxdm or sddm(im more like kde fan) - both works fine here.
If no success then look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log or journalctl -b and see if X loaded fglrx. Could be that it needs fglrx in conf file, and probably your conf wasn't generated by aticonfig because no adapters were find. You can check then something like:

# echo -e 'Section "Device"\n\tIdentifier "My GPU"\n\tDriver "fglrx"\nEndSection' > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-fglrx.conf

Just be sure that theres no other conflicting file in /etc/X11 dir

Edit: ah, you are on hybrid hmm, it could complicate things a bit, don't forget to install xf86-video-intel then

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2015-10-08 18:16:51)

#7150 2015-10-08 18:56:56

olive

Niccola wrote:

The problems I have is described at post #7139 (about 8 posts above this one)

*** No supported adapters found
*** Boot freezing
*** "Oh, No! Something went wrong" gnome message on boot

OK, sorry there was so many posts... I see that you have a HD 6770M; I have a HD6570. For quite some time, even if I get the catalyst driver working, it behaves much poorer than the free oss ati driver that support 3D and all modern desktop, for me  even better (moving of windows are much smoother and 3D software like Google Earth take about the same CPU time). So, I would ask you if you have tried this instead. Moreover the oss driver works out of the box with no config, compiling, downgrading things here and there...

Last edited by olive (2015-10-08 18:58:10)

Board footer