You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 15:10:49

SnowyClaw

Compiz or Mate Settings Daemon Ignoring Wallpaper

Hello, everyone. I am having some trouble getting a wallpaper to show with mate-settings-daemon. I'm not sure if something is configured incorrectly or if there's an incompatibility.
Screenshot
There used to be a workaround where I could have the wallpaper plugin enabled in Compiz but still have desktop icons drawn. All I had to do was start Nemo, followed by Nautilus. This, however, broke recently and I cannot find a replacement. The wallpaper plugin is now off, but the settings daemon won't draw a background. (As seen in the screenshot) Any ideas?

#2 2015-10-15 14:08:11

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

Re: Compiz or Mate Settings Daemon Ignoring Wallpaper

SnowyClaw wrote:

There used to be a workaround where I could have the wallpaper plugin enabled in Compiz but still have desktop icons drawn. All I had to do was start Nemo, followed by Nautilus.

In general, don't use Nautilus' desktop management with Compiz - it's not a happy combo. It works in GNOME Flashback but I think that's because the Flashback module has some sort of workaround for precisely this issue. I'm not sure about Nemo, it might well similar issues to Nautilus.

As for MATE, its desktop management seems to work fine with Compiz in a full MATE session. My assumption therefore is that you're using some sort of custom session built around Compiz. So you'll probably need to start some other MATE component in order to be able to use MATE's desktop management, perhaps Caja?

To be honest, my recommendation would be to use PCManFM. Just autostart pcmanfm --desktop and you'll have a wallpaper setter and desktop icons and it works just fine with Compiz.

Last edited by Chazza (2015-10-15 14:13:37)

Board footer