You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-14 20:37:00

noctlos

Booting without graphics card

Is it possible to get arch to boot without a graphics card? I only access the machine via ssh.

What information should I provide to get more help?

#2 2015-10-14 20:59:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Booting without graphics card

If the SSH daemon is running, then it will start listening for connections when the machine boots...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-10-16 00:14:11

dif

I assume that you have installed some graphical environment on the server that you ssh to. If so, consider the following solutions.
(1) With systemd disable the display manager (slim, lightdm, gdm,...) daemon on that server.
(2) Or if you do not use and do not need the graphical environment at all, remove (uninstall) it from that server.

#4 2015-10-16 00:31:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

noctlos wrote:

Is it possible to get arch to boot without a graphics card?

Is that really the question here?  Then this is easy: Yes.

You definitely don't need a graphics card to boot.  If you don't have a graphics card, running a gui could still be possible, but would have some limitations - but you are clearly not doing this as you are only shelling into the machine.

noctlos wrote:

What information should I provide to get more help?

More help with what?  This was a yes or no question?  What aren't you telling us?  Perhaps you've tried to boot and you are getting some error that you've attributed to the lack of a graphics card?  If so, why not just tell us what the error is?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer