You are not logged in.

#601 2015-09-16 19:12:11

Alucryd
Developer
Website

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

I'm not sure how far wayland support has progressed, there are some info over here. Rest assured that the Arch packages will get all the wayland goodness when it's implemented. FYI, I just pushed the latest lightdm in [extra] which can launch wayland sessions so that's already a push in the right direction.

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#602 2015-09-17 05:18:40

bmentink

Alucryd wrote:

I'm not sure how far wayland support has progressed, there are some info over here. Rest assured that the Arch packages will get all the wayland goodness when it's implemented. FYI, I just pushed the latest lightdm in [extra] which can launch wayland sessions so that's already a push in the right direction.

Thanks for that. By the way, I can't seem to get lightdm-pantheon-greeter to work though .. it always falls back to the gtk greeter ..

I have greeter-user=root and greeter-session = pantheon-greeter in my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file .... is this correct?

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-18 04:22:26)

#603 2015-09-18 13:36:28

Alucryd
Developer
Website

The greeter session is called lightdm-pantheon-greeter, I made a point of having everything consistent, every lightdm greeter I'm maintaining on Arch Linux is called lightdm-*-greeter to avoid confusion. I still need to poke Daniel about that, I don't think calling the greeter just panthon-greeter was a smart move when there was already a lightdm-gtk-greeter.

Anyway, why would you run the greeter as root? While it may work now, you probably introduced some permission issues inside the lightdm-data folder, the default user is lightdm for a reason, do not modify defaults if you don't know what you're getting into.

#604 2015-09-18 18:42:17

VenomGameworld

@Alucryd:
For Maya you've posted in the AUR that you've been getting a black window for months and lately even nothing at all.

I've recently installed Maya myself and got nothing as well, the terminal output doens't indicate any errors. However, aside from the maya-calendar itself, there's also a maya-calendar-daemon. Whenever I run it, I'm able to get the black window of Maya (when running the regular application) you've been speaking of.
Have you made any breakthrough in fixing this issue?
Thanks in advance!

#605 2015-09-18 20:10:36

bmentink

Alucryd wrote:

The greeter session is called lightdm-pantheon-greeter, I made a point of having everything consistent, every lightdm greeter I'm maintaining on Arch Linux is called lightdm-*-greeter to avoid confusion. I still need to poke Daniel about that, I don't think calling the greeter just panthon-greeter was a smart move when there was already a lightdm-gtk-greeter.

Anyway, why would you run the greeter as root? While it may work now, you probably introduced some permission issues inside the lightdm-data folder, the default user is lightdm for a reason, do not modify defaults if you don't know what you're getting into.

I tried lightdm-pantheon-greeter and that did not work either with root user or lightdm user ....

The reason I tried root user was because I did due diligence of searching the net for this issue ... and that was the solution to get it working.
You don't need to come down so hard ..... wink

#606 2015-09-18 20:26:53

bmentink

VenomGameworld wrote:

@Alucryd:
For Maya you've posted in the AUR that you've been getting a black window for months and lately even nothing at all.

I've recently installed Maya myself and got nothing as well, the terminal output doens't indicate any errors. However, aside from the maya-calendar itself, there's also a maya-calendar-daemon. Whenever I run it, I'm able to get the black window of Maya (when running the regular application) you've been speaking of.
Have you made any breakthrough in fixing this issue?
Thanks in advance!

When I run Maya, I get nothing for a minute, then the black screen pop's up ... I don't have to run the daemon ..
It won't close either, I have to kill it from a terminal ..

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-18 20:27:52)

#607 2015-09-19 00:15:26

bmentink

On another issue, there does not seem to be a switchboard-plug-sound .... so I can't un-mute my microphone to make skype calls ..
Guess I will have to do it through pulseaudio ..

The sound indicator does not work correctly, I used to be able to hover over it and use the scroll wheel to adjust volume, can't now.
It used to work great when I got the indicator from aur -bzr .. seems to have gone backwards..

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-19 00:34:59)

#608 2015-09-27 00:09:42

quequotion
Website

It's a really minor thing, but I came up with a better Trash icon for Plank.

Works:
-Drag and drop files or directories to throw away.
-Left click opens Trash.
-Right click menu -> Empty trash.

Doesn't work:
-The icon is static; even if the .desktop file is changed, Plank doesn't update the icon displayed.
-Drag and drop dockitems in Plank just rearranges them; they can't be trashed or make groups like in OSX.

Edit:
What I would do, if I knew how, would be to replace the backend with some vala that would:
-reload the icon in plank (have two .desktops, overwrite one .dockitem, hide (unclick "keep in dock"), show (re-add .dockitem))
-ask very kindly what can do something about dropping icons into the can (make a drop target)? I feel like having a self-sufficient can metaphor makes plank also feel more self-sufficient.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-09-30 09:04:25)

#609 2015-09-29 04:59:16

bmentink

Hi All,

I just done an upgrade and wingpanel doesn't even work now ... has the following error:

[INFO 17:57:05.713213] Application.vala:155: System Panel version: 2.0
[INFO 17:57:05.713312] Application.vala:157: Kernel version: 4.2.1-1-ARCH
[ERROR 17:57:05.756124] [GLib-GIO] Settings schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' does not contain a key named 'apps'

[1]+  Trace/breakpoint trap   (core dumped) wingpanel

EDIT: Looks like the notification applet causes the problem, removed it and now can run wingpanel ..

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-29 05:05:27)

#610 2015-09-30 06:33:30

bmentink

On the last upgrade wingpanel sound works correctly again ....

Anyone know where the source is in AUR to the switchboard sound applet? I would like to see about getting it going ..

Last edited by bmentink (2015-09-30 06:35:27)

#611 2015-09-30 08:40:32

quequotion
Website

bmentink wrote:

On the last upgrade wingpanel sound works correctly again ....

Anyone know where the source is in AUR to the switchboard sound applet? I would like to see about getting it going ..

Upstream?

EDIT: derp, what was I going on about?

Old one:

bzr branch lp:~elementary-driveby/pantheon-plugs/sound-plug

This is all I can find  for the switchboard plug.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-10-06 17:19:05)

#612 2015-10-06 17:10:05

quequotion
Website

bmentink wrote:
[ERROR 17:57:05.756124] [GLib-GIO] Settings schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' does not contain a key named 'apps'

I ran into the same problem, and two other missing keys in gala-bzr so--as a temporary workaround--I added the keys manually:

/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.pantheon.desktop.gala.gschema.xml
After:

<key type="b" name="do-not-disturb">
			<default>false</default>
			<summary>Disable all notifications</summary>
		</key>

Add:

<key type="s" name="apps">
			<default>''</default>
			<summary>Apps</summary>
		</key>
		<key type="b" name="default-bubbles">
			<default>true</default>
			<summary>Default bubbles</summary>
		</key>
		<key type="b" name="default-sounds">
			<default>true</default>
			<summary>Default sounds</summary>
		</key>

Then update the schemas:

sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/

These keys are just guesswork, but they get the indicator running. It's odd that they aren't shipped with gala. Is the developer using an unreleased, custom gala?

#613 2015-10-07 09:34:34

Alucryd
Developer
Website

No, those are old deprecated keys. The notifications plug and indicator just haven't been updated to use the new gsettings keys yet. You'll have to be patient.

#614 2015-10-12 22:55:51

ElectricPrism

Hey just checking in, its nice to see activity on Pantheon Arch - at present are we still having trouble getting it to work with Gala? I would like to rebuild a VBox and demo it to see if I would like to use it over my current Gnome configuration.

On a side note, I did notice that a dev of a Slingshot like extension has been working on a 3.18 version - so anyone on Gnome 3.18 can get the dev snapshot over at github of that
https://github.com/rastersoft/panther_launcher

#615 2015-10-13 06:36:36

quequotion
Website

ElectricPrism wrote:

On a side note, I did notice that a dev of a Slingshot like extension has been working on a 3.18 version - so anyone on Gnome 3.18 can get the dev snapshot over at github of that
https://github.com/rastersoft/panther_launcher

>doesn't depend on Gala, Granite or other libraries
I think I like it!

#616 2015-10-20 18:43:40

Bl4ckb0ne

Hi, I got a few questions for you guys :

- I got this when I try to run wingpanel

[INFO 14:37:42.712380] Application.vala:155: System Panel version: 2.0
[INFO 14:37:42.712423] Application.vala:157: Kernel version: 4.2.3-1-ARCH
[FATAL 14:37:42.717128] [LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB] dbusmenu_client_get_root: assertion 'DBUSMENU_IS_CLIENT(client)' failed
[FATAL 14:37:42.717172] [LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB] dbusmenu_menuitem_get_children: assertion 'DBUSMENU_IS_MENUITEM(mi)' failed
[WARNING 14:37:42.758850] [libindicator] IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.
[ERROR 14:37:42.761668] [GLib-GIO] Settings schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' does not contain a key named 'apps'
[1]    1040 trace trap (core dumped)  wingpanel

I can't find what's wrong with my packages

- I got this for every pantheon related package I install

No such key 'apps' in schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.

- Is it possible to use another WM with pantheon (specially BSPWM)

- And last, is it possible to increase the font size on the lightdm-pantheon-greeter like in the gtk-greeter.

a11y-states = +font
font-name = DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline 10

(these 2 lines are from my lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf)

Thanks!

#617 2015-10-20 19:11:45

quequotion
Website

Bl4ckb0ne wrote:
[ERROR 14:37:42.761668] [GLib-GIO] Settings schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' does not contain a key named 'apps'
No such key 'apps' in schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' as specified in override file 'usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/25_pantheon-default-settings.gschema.override'; ignoring override for this key.

- Is it possible to use another WM with pantheon (specially BSPWM)

Never tried bspwm, but probably, yes.* Some pantheon components expect gala's gsettings keys, but don't actually depend on gala. Have a look at pantheon-workarounds. You'll need to make your own xsession and gnome-session files as well; see pantheon-3d (swap gala for compiz) and pantheon-lite (swap gala for openbox+compton).

*Actually, looking at some bspwm screenshots, I think I did try this quite some time ago. I was looking for a way to make a "pantheon-micro" desktop, but gave up after I couldn't find a window-manager that was both lighter than openbox and capable of running the pantheon components. bspwm has its own top panel and its particular window management system, which did not work with wingpanel and plank at the time.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-10-23 19:06:42)

#618 2015-10-20 19:54:21

Bl4ckb0ne

Hm

The authenticity of host 'bazaar.launchpad.net (91.189.95.84)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is XX
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'bazaar.launchpad.net,91.189.95.84' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).
ConnectionReset reading response for 'BzrDir.open_2.1', retrying
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist. 
==> ERROR: Failure while branching lp:~elementary-os/elementaryos/pantheon-xsession-settings
    Aborting...

Last edited by Bl4ckb0ne (2015-10-20 20:45:58)

#619 2015-10-23 14:13:18

quequotion
Website

Bl4ckb0ne wrote:

Hm

The authenticity of host 'bazaar.launchpad.net (91.189.95.84)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is XX
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'bazaar.launchpad.net,91.189.95.84' (RSA) to the list of known hosts.
ConnectionReset reading response for 'BzrDir.open_2.1', retrying
bzr: ERROR: Connection closed: Unexpected end of message. Please check connectivity and permissions, and report a bug if problems persist. 
==> ERROR: Failure while branching lp:~elementary-os/elementaryos/pantheon-xsession-settings
    Aborting...

Did this come from trying to build pantheon-workarounds? I haven't updated it for some time. Try again?

I could not reproduce that error; looks like a problem with ssh, maybe on launchpad's end.

Re-released on aur4: pantheon-workarounds, pantheon-3d, pantheon-lite.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-10-23 18:44:23)

#620 2015-10-23 17:24:59

theLadder

I installed pantheon on a fresh archlinux install today, this is my experince:

I used the alucryd repository from the wiki
these packages had to be built from aur:
gtk-engine-unico
gtk-theme-elementary-bzr
Alucryd: how about adding these in your repository? That would be great smile

# pacman -S pantheon-unstable
I started it with xinit script from the pantheon wiki (is that up to date?)
Wingpanel did not work, but i could press super+space to get slingshot and launch the terminal, then i launched wingpanel from the terminal and this was the error msg:

$ wingpanel
[INFO 11:08:19.723930] Application.vala:155: System Panel version: 2.0
[INFO 11:08:19.724865] Application.vala:157: Kernel version: 4.2.3-1-ARCH
[WARNING 11:08:19.729334] IndicatorFactory.vala:49: Unable to read indicators: No such file or directory
Connecting to bluetooth manager failed: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.bluez: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.LoadFailed: Unit dbus-org.bluez.service failed to load: No such file or directory. 
[ERROR 11:08:19.776892] [GLib-GIO] Settings schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.gala.notifications' does not contain a key named 'apps'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

I was able to run wingpanel after uninstalling wingpanel-indicator-notifications-bzr
At this point the major things was working, yay smile

Logout does not work from wingpanel, when i try to press the red logout button it gives me this error msg:

[FATAL 12:13:34.802491] file /build/wingpanel-indicator-session-bzr/src/wingpanel-indicator-session/src/Widgets/EndSessionDialog.vala: line 122: unexpected error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)

Some minor problems:
Close button does not work on all windows, for example, it works on settings manager but not midori
Pressing "Applications" in wingpanel only works every other time to open slingshot, something opens and closes in plank.
Plank has the wrong theme, it seems like it's not set. (no big deal)
There is no entry for lightdm.

I also had problems when using nvidia drivers, my cpu load was never below 40%.
EDIT: I forgot to replace mesa-libgl with nvidia-libgl, doing that solved the problem! smile

If anyone has solutions for my problems, or if there is any additional information i could provide, please let me know!

I have tried to installed pantheon a few times in the past, but now it seems to be really close to working as it should! Great work guys! I wish i could help in some way. Would be awesome if i could run this as my daily driver, i can accept some instability tongue

Last edited by theLadder (2015-10-24 12:54:51)

#621 2015-10-24 15:15:22

theLadder

Windows with the narrow title bar has problems with shadows and their close button does not work:
r76pcc0m.png
Is there any known fix?

#622 2015-10-25 04:37:44

quequotion
Website

theLadder wrote:

Windows with the narrow title bar has problems with shadows and their close button does not work

Those applications have not (yet, and who knows if they ever will) adopted Client Side Decorations (the integrated title/toolbar header). There are bug reports for the odd-looking shadows and the dysfunctional buttons.

Incindentally, compiz's decorator seems to have a handle on this:
pantheon_compiz.jpg

#623 2015-10-25 07:05:15

theLadder

quequotion wrote:
theLadder wrote:

Windows with the narrow title bar has problems with shadows and their close button does not work

Those applications have not (yet, and who knows if they ever will) adopted Client Side Decorations (the integrated title/toolbar header). There are bug reports for the odd-looking shadows and the dysfunctional buttons.

Incindentally, compiz's decorator seems to have a handle on this:
http://s18.postimg.org/trpipbv05/pantheon_compiz.jpg

Thanks for the info, however, i also got a elementaryos install, and it does not have this problem, why is it only on archlinux?

#624 2015-10-29 16:33:13

quequotion
Website

theLadder wrote:

Thanks for the info, however, i also got a elementaryos install, and it does not have this problem, why is it only on archlinux?

Good question. Could it have something to do with how gnome gave responsibility for window decoration to the toolkit? Which version of ElementaryOS is your alternate?

Actually, I'm thinking about doing the same (installing ElementaryOS on another PC) to have a standard to test by. I have to format and reinstall my other PC anyway because Ubuntu failed at everything again.

Unrelated: wingpanel-indicator-notifications has been updated for the change in gala's gconf keys, but I still can't get it to actually show any (past) notifications. I am currently using notify-osd-customizable and I get its notification bubbles.

EDIT: There is indeed a custom notification service as a plugin for gala... looking into making a breakout version (recreating pantheon-notify) for non-gala desktops. There already is such a thing in some lauchpad question somewhere, but it will be outdated by now...

Last edited by quequotion (2015-10-30 15:59:29)

#625 2015-10-29 16:50:01

theLadder

quequotion wrote:
theLadder wrote:

Good question. Could it have something to do with how gnome gave responsibility for window decoration to the toolkit? Which version of ElementaryOS is your alternate?

Actually, I'm thinkin about doing the same (installing ElementaryOS on another PC) to have a standard to test by. I have to format and reinstall my other PC anyway because Ubuntu failed at everything again.

Unrelated: wingpanel-indicator-notifications has been updated for the change in gala's gconf keys, but I still can't get it to actually show any (past) notifications. I assume this is because I am missing something, like a pantheon-specific org.freedesktop.Notifications dbus service, but I haven't yet found code for such on launchpad (I thought it was be provided by gala, but the code wasn't there). I am currently using notify-osd-customizable and I get its notification bubbles.

My knowledge of window decorations and stuff like that is close to zero so i dont think i will be able to help finding the problem sad
I installed ElementaryOS with an iso file named "elementaryos-freya-amd64.20150411.iso", and i have since then updated the system so it should be running the latest and greatest...

I currently have 6 OS's installed on my computer tongue btrfs subvolumes are nice for that, i have 3 OS's installed in a single btrfs partitions.

Thanks for the info regarding notifications, i might play around with that later smile

Board footer