You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-18 01:45:19

corif

Unable to import songs to Noise or other music players

Hello,

I can not seem to get my music player (Noise) or really any other music player to work. Noise will not import music at all. I try to just import one song and the files all seem to by whited out. I have tried other music player and they seem to do the same thing. I have installed gstreamer, xine, and some codecs and still can not get it to work. I really need help with this.

Thanks.

Last edited by corif (2015-10-18 12:54:25)

#2 2015-10-18 09:44:46

runical

Re: Unable to import songs to Noise or other music players

Hi corif, welcome to the Arch forums. Can you explain your problem a bit better? What exactly are you trying to do, what are the symptoms and what did you try already?

Judging from the minimal info you have here, maybe a permission problem? Is the filesystem NTFS by any chance? What kind of errors does the music player spew?

#3 2015-10-18 11:41:51

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

corif wrote:

I have installed gstreamer

Have you installed the correct gstreamer version though? Looking at the optdepends of noise-bzr it seems you need gstreamer 1.0 (so gst-plugins-good, bad, ugly etc). If you only have the older gstreamer0.10 then it won't work.

#4 2015-10-18 11:45:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Welcome to the forums - please consider revising your thread title to bring the attention of people who can really help.  You can revise the title by clicking "edit" on your first post.

Note that you are posting in the "Newbie Corner" so specifying that you are a newbie in the title isn't really needed.  Also indicating that you are having trouble is implied - this is a help forum.  So all we really get in the title is that this has something to do with music players.  Perhaps "Unable to import songs to Noise or other music players" might work better.

(edit: thanks)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2015-10-18 13:07:12

corif

runical wrote:

Hi corif, welcome to the Arch forums. Can you explain your problem a bit better? What exactly are you trying to do, what are the symptoms and what did you try already?

Judging from the minimal info you have here, maybe a permission problem? Is the filesystem NTFS by any chance? What kind of errors does the music player spew?

Running noise-player as root(sudo) does show some errors. I only ran as root to see if it was a strange permission problem and would never typically run this program as root. I have tried installing codecs. I also tried installing the backend gstreamer. After that, I thought maybe it could be the noise player so I installed audiacious. Sadly, that did not work either. Even though running noise player as root (sudo noise-player) I was still unable to load or listen to music through my music player. My goal is to listen to music on noise, and if not noise then some other player.

#6 2015-10-18 17:42:36

corif

This is what happens when i run the program through terminal. Let me know if there is a better way to format this.

[INFO 13:39:15.699744] Application.vala:155: Noise version: 0.3.1
[INFO 13:39:15.699820] Application.vala:157: Kernel version: 4.1.10-2-lts
[FATAL 13:39:15.745290] [GLib] g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745346] [GLib-GIO] g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745379] [GLib] g_variant_get_type_string: assertion 'value != NULL' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745413] [GLib-GIO] g_settings_set_value: key 'music-folder' in 'org.pantheon.noise.settings' expects type 's', but a GVariant of type '(null)' was given
[WARNING 13:39:15.745442] Settings.vala:341: Key 'music-folder' could not be written to.
[FATAL 13:39:15.745483] [GLib-GIO] g_file_new_for_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745528] noise_file_operator_list_recursive_directory: assertion 'music_folder != NULL' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745634] [GLib-GIO] g_file_new_for_path: assertion 'path != NULL' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745668] [GLib-GIO] g_file_query_file_type: assertion 'G_IS_FILE(file)' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.745696] [GLib-GIO] g_file_monitor_file: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file)' failed
[WARNING 13:39:15.745731] [GLib-GObject] invalid (NULL) pointer instance
[FATAL 13:39:15.745775] [GLib-GObject] g_signal_connect_object: assertion 'G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
[FATAL 13:39:15.879251] [GLib-GObject] Read-only property 'read-only-view' on class 'GeeReadOnlyBidirSortedSet' has type 'GeeSortedSet' which is not equal to or more restrictive than the type 'GeeBidirSortedSet' of the property on the interface 'GeeBidirSortedSet'
[FATAL 13:39:15.898328] file /build/noise-player/src/noise-0.3.1/src/Objects/MediaKeyListener.vala: line 55: unexpected error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)
[WARNING 13:39:15.898508] [libpeas] Failed to enable unknown plugin loader 'gjs'
[INFO 13:39:15.905542] LastFM.vala:49: Activating Last.fm plugin
[INFO 13:39:15.905586] AudioPlayer.vala:28: Activating AudioPlayer Device plugin
[INFO 13:39:15.905607] Zeitgeist.vala:16: Activating Zeitgeist plugin
[INFO 13:39:15.928472] iPod.vala:28: Activating iPod Device plugin
[INFO 13:39:15.928516] CDRom.vala:28: Activating CD-Rom Device plugin

#7 2015-10-18 19:31:56

runical

So, can you tell us a bit more about the way you set up your system? Filesystem, mountpoints, your DE. Can you confirm that your sound does actually work and that you can access your own files? And for good measure, can you post the output of

uname -a

Also, how did you install everything? Using pacman? (I ask because of the weird FATAL error, mentioning /build)

Lastly, please read the forum etiquette. It will give you some guidelines on posting here, like avoiding double posting smile You can format output and code using code tags.

#8 2015-10-18 21:30:08

corif

runical wrote:

So, can you tell us a bit more about the way you set up your system? Filesystem, mountpoints, your DE. Can you confirm that your sound does actually work and that you can access your own files? And for good measure, can you post the output of

uname -a

Also, how did you install everything? Using pacman? (I ask because of the weird FATAL error, mentioning /build)

Lastly, please read the forum etiquette. It will give you some guidelines on posting here, like avoiding double posting smile You can format output and code using code tags.

I had to retrieve that package from AUR. So I after unpacking the tar I used makepkg -si to install it.

heres the info you requested.
Linux corif 4.1.10-2-lts #1 SMP Wed Oct 7 21:57:44 CEST 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have two songs I am using for testing stored in my ~/Music folder. One files is an mp3 and the other is an m4a. I am using ext4 filesystem but I have a data drive that is using ntfs. I am also using xfce as my DE. I am unsure what you mean by mount points so I hope the info below helps.

/dev/sda1        swap  15.9G 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda2       root   40G 83 Linux
/dev/sda3       home 63.4G 83 Linux

Last edited by corif (2015-10-18 21:36:19)

#9 2015-10-19 16:19:10

runical

corif wrote:

I had to retrieve that package from AUR. So I after unpacking the tar I used makepkg -si to install it.

Any reason why you didn't just install noise-player from the repos?

I have two songs I am using for testing stored in my ~/Music folder. One files is an mp3 and the other is an m4a. I am using ext4 filesystem but I have a data drive that is using ntfs. I am also using xfce as my DE. I am unsure what you mean by mount points so I hope the info below helps.

Yup, the mountpoints are what I expected to see. I meant the filesystem layout (I was a bit unclear on that one).

So, just to put everything together:

- You installed either noise-bzr or noise-player-bzr from the AUR and this does not work (either to produce sound or to read the file)
- The system does not produce sound at all when using another media player.
- All needed codecs are installed as mentioned on the wiki (one is enough. You do not need both xine and gstreamer)
- The permissions on the normal drive are correct.

Is this correct? If so, the way I would tackle this problem:

1. First, sound. If the computer does not make any kind of sound (check with speaker-test), check if your ALSA channels are unmuted. If you installed pulseaudio, check if it uses the correct output. Refer to the wiki articles for extra info and more possible causes/ways to troubleshoot.

2. Install the stable version of noise from the official repos and try again. If it still does not work, install VLC and try it with that. VLC does not need external codecs, so it can help you pinpoint if the problem is with the codecs.

That should pretty much do it. Another word of warning: In order to write to an NTFS volume, you need NTFS-3g. See the wiki for that.

If you still have trouble after this, do ask, but make it sure you tell us where the problem was in these steps.

#10 2015-10-19 19:12:54

corif

runical wrote:
corif wrote:

Any reason why you didn't just install noise-player from the repos?

Yup, the mountpoints are what I expected to see. I meant the filesystem layout (I was a bit unclear on that one).

So, just to put everything together:

- You installed either noise-bzr or noise-player-bzr from the AUR and this does not work (either to produce sound or to read the file)
- The system does not produce sound at all when using another media player.
- All needed codecs are installed as mentioned on the wiki (one is enough. You do not need both xine and gstreamer)
- The permissions on the normal drive are correct.

Is this correct? If so, the way I would tackle this problem:

1. First, sound. If the computer does not make any kind of sound (check with speaker-test), check if your ALSA channels are unmuted. If you installed pulseaudio, check if it uses the correct output. Refer to the wiki articles for extra info and more possible causes/ways to troubleshoot.

2. Install the stable version of noise from the official repos and try again. If it still does not work, install VLC and try it with that. VLC does not need external codecs, so it can help you pinpoint if the problem is with the codecs.

That should pretty much do it. Another word of warning: In order to write to an NTFS volume, you need NTFS-3g. See the wiki for that.

If you still have trouble after this, do ask, but make it sure you tell us where the problem was in these steps.

Okay, so I installed noise-player from community repo instead of AUR. We still have problems but we also fixed somethings.

The things we fixed:
- I can now open a music file and noise will open and play it.
- Noise has imported songs to it so I can play songs directly from it

Things still broken.
-Noise will not automatically import songs
-I tell noise to look at a folder (~/Music) when I needed it to import music. Noise refuses to look at that folder or any folder.

Arch is a pain in the butt I am enjoying the experince. If we can just get noise to import music so I can play music directly from noise then that would be wonderful.

Here are the errors I get when I try to tell noise to look at a specific folder when looking for music to import.

[FATAL 15:02:05.102479] [Gtk] gtk_file_chooser_set_current_folder: assertion 'filename != NULL' failed
[FATAL 15:02:11.909837] noise_library_window_setMusicFolder: assertion 'folder != NULL' failed

I will try to cap my screen so you can better get an idea of what the existing problems are.

http://i.imgur.com/rwi7OSe.png

Under Music File Location, if i tell it to look to ~/Music then it will take several tries before it will take.

Last edited by corif (2015-10-19 19:17:03)

#11 2015-10-22 11:27:39

runical

Sorry for the late reply.

I am not sure why noise does not import songs automatically (I do not have it installed, nor have I ever used it), so I'm afraid I won't be of a lot of use there. Are you sure it is supposed to do so?

#12 2015-10-23 02:02:34

dberg918

corif wrote:

Things still broken.
-Noise will not automatically import songs
-I tell noise to look at a folder (~/Music) when I needed it to import music. Noise refuses to look at that folder or any folder.

I don't think Noise supports automatic import of music. You have to feed it your music manually. Then, depending on your settings (Copy imported files to Library), it either imports it to your library folder (on), or just remembers where it is (off).

That said, you may be interested in this bug report for smart music management, which is slated for elementary's next major release.

Board footer