You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-23 05:17:00

trigger-happy

[SOLVED] Unable to shutdown without resorting to "poweroff -f"

Hi, long time linux user here and I'm kinda stuck with this problem that recently came about. Attempts to shutdown my computer always fails unless i issue "poweroff -f". Here's a summary of what I've tried and what happens:

1. Shutdown via GUI -> goes back to SDDM login screen
2. issue "sudo poweroff" -> get the error "Requested transaction contains unmergeable jobs: Transaction contains conflicting jobs 'stop' and 'start' for systemd-poweroff.service"
3. issue "sudo poweroff -f" -> system shuts down

Here's a snippet of the journal as I attempt to shutdown: http://pastebin.com/SJi3K0xh
lspci output if it'll help: http://pastebin.com/H4F2DqcQ
systemd version is 227-1
uname -a: Linux trigger-main 4.2.3-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 14 12:14:52 PHT 2015 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I've tried searching the forums and through google with no luck (i apologize if there actually was a topic on the matter, might have missed it during my search).

Other potentially relevant info:
1. Using SDDM for my login manager with LXQT as the DE (was using plasma until it stopped loading on me, but that's another forum post if ever)
2. The kernel is a patched version of the one in the arch repo. Patch is for the i915 driver to prevent it from freaking out when I run a windows VM with GPU passthrough. Also enabled some options in the kernel for the passthrough. That said, I've been patching the kernel every update for the past month and I didn't get this shutdown problem so I doubt this is the reason for it.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read the post and help with my problem smile

Last edited by trigger-happy (2015-10-28 14:40:39)

#2 2015-10-28 14:39:12

trigger-happy

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to shutdown without resorting to "poweroff -f"

Ok, so I managed to solve my own problem. I had a stray system.slice file in /etc/systemd/system. Removing it allowed my system to shutdown and reboot properly again.

Board footer