You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-28 14:10:27

combatcrab

Nautilus: How to delete dir from "path bar" on right-click?

Hello!

Just recently switched to Arch from Ubuntu. Trying to duplicate a feature of Nautilus in Ubuntu that allows the deletion of the current dir via the path bar (on right click). I think this might be achievable via nautilus-action but I haven't yet been able to figure that out.

Anybody have any ideas here?

Thanks!

-Jerry

EDIT: I should have stated that I have installed GNOME

Last edited by combatcrab (2015-10-28 15:06:13)

Don't yell at me, I'm learning.

#2 2015-10-28 15:00:59

Starfish

Re: Nautilus: How to delete dir from "path bar" on right-click?

Hello Combatcrab, this is a fellow sea dweller,

I infer that you have installed gnome. Since the file-manager is (to my knowledge) bound to the DE and not to the distro, I am confused that deleting a path doesnt work exactly the same way as on ubuntu.
May I ask why you dont just type

rm -rf .../pathname

?
Since you switched to Arch, more frequent use of the command line is inevitable.

Cheers,
Starfish

EDIT: I see on the Arch linux package database that nautilus has some extensions. Have you pacman-ed all of them?

Last edited by Starfish (2015-10-28 15:17:43)

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." - Master Oogway

#3 2015-10-28 15:21:13

combatcrab

Starfish,

Life here is better, down where it's wetter, under the sea!

Thanks for taking a moment to respond! I'm embarrassed; I should have mentioned that I have installed GNOME. You are indeed correct. I was/am equally surprised in the difference between context menus when right-clicking the path bar under GNOME and Unity. Perhaps it's because I'm working with an updated version of Nautilus that doesn't include it. I'm more apt to believe that it's a customization under Unity. I would like to try and duplicate that customization.

Your point about using the CLI instead is well taken. I'll admit there is a laziness factor here. No matter, because now it's become a challenge that I'll inevitably obsess over.

The impetus behind the request is a workflow that involves multiple folders being downloaded into a parent directory. Using the file manager I'll open each downloaded folder picking the single file I actually need, drag that file to the parent directory (using the path bar), and finally right-click and delete the current working directory. When the directory is deleted the file manager brings me right back into the parent directory where I can choose the next downloaded folder.

I suppose what I should be focusing my energy on instead, is a script that will do all that for me based on the file format I want from the downloaded folders...

Thanks for your reply!

-Jerry

EDIT: I now see your edit about Nautilus extensions. I'll take a look at those tonight, thanks!

Last edited by combatcrab (2015-10-28 15:23:03)

#4 2015-10-28 23:27:14

combatcrab

libnautilus-extension was already installed as are all the other viable options. Looks like that's not the solution.

-Jerry

#5 2015-10-29 00:59:46

ooo

ubuntu is patching nautilus to add some features (like unity support). Looks like they are also using older version (3.14) than arch.

So either this feature has been removed alongside the changes in official nautilus development, in which case there isn't much you could do, apart from bugging gnome devs. You could test this if you manage to install nautilus 3.14 somehow.

Or the feature is provided by some of the ubuntu patches, in which case you could rebuild the arch nautilus package with the patch that adds this functionality.

Board footer