You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-15 21:25:44

b4t3m4n

Trying to Install on a weird machine, need FB [UNSOLVED]

I have a rather old system I want to install Arch on, and it has a built in video card that it has to use.  The problem is that the video card doesn't support a standard linux console well, and the text is all distorted.  This normally isn't a problem because it does support framebuffer mode quite well.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there is an option for using a framebuffer on arch install disks.  Any suggestions?

#2 2006-04-15 22:46:47

iBertus

Re: Trying to Install on a weird machine, need FB [UNSOLVED]

You could try passing an argument to the kernel. I'm not sure if the install cd kernel has framebuffer support or not, but why not try something like vga=### when booting and see if it works.

#3 2006-04-16 01:55:37

b4t3m4n

Re: Trying to Install on a weird machine, need FB [UNSOLVED]

Yeah I tried that that.  arch vga=(whatever the number combination for 1024 is).

Didn't work.  I absolutely love arch, my favorite distro I have tried in years.  The limited installer, however, caught me off gaurd.  I come from gentoo who didnt even have an installer really forever, so its not that I need a gui, but its almost as if the installer restricts a person too much.  For instance, on one box I installed, arch didn't quite detect my device order correctly for grub. So it was trying to install the boot loader, using hd2 when it was really hd1.  There was no way for me to get a grub prompt, and when I accessed it from the command line, the block devices weren't mapped to my fresh install yet.  I had to fiddle for like 30 minutes before I decided to manually copy contents from arch's /dev directory into the new install /dev directory, chroot in, then rerun grub to install. 

Not a big deal, but the hassle could have been solved with a simple grub prompt menu option with all their cleverly mapped devices.  (yeah there was probably even an easier way around this, but its beside the point)  Now the lack of framebuffer option is getting me.  Its not even a tough thing to include, but its absence is causing unneeded effort on my part.

Board footer