You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-30 15:49:25

dominicm

Network dependency fails when discrete graphics installed

I am trying to setup VGA passthrough for a while now but always something has stopped me. Previously I would get ring test errors but now possibly due to updates or because I now use linux-lts ring tests succeed on my Radeon 7970 (Tahiti) GPU.

What happens now when I install the GPU and boot everything seems to start as normal except the network connection. Journalctl shows no related errors but manually going through all logs it seems there is a warning showing that netctl@enp1s0.service is failing due to a dependency. A year ago or so I remember GPU being present would not cause any boot or network issues so I don't think it's a hardware issue. GPU also works in another windows pc.

Here's the netctl@enp1s0.service file:

.include /usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service

[Unit]
Description=A basic static ethernet connection
BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp1s0.device
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp1s0.device

And /usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service file:

[Unit]
Description=Networking for netctl profile %I
Documentation=man:netctl.profile(5)
After=network-pre.target
Before=network.target netctl.service
Wants=network.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/usr/lib/network/network start %I
ExecStop=/usr/lib/network/network stop %I

And netctl@enp1s0.service file:

.include /usr/lib/systemd/system/netctl@.service

[Unit]
Description=A basic static ethernet connection
BindsTo=sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp1s0.device
After=sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp1s0.device

I am not sure which dependency is failing and why. Can anyone see an issue with my network systemd script? I can't think of another reason why it would fail other than that there is an issue with the network config that only manifests itself when a discrete GPU is present. Any suggestions or things to try to try and narrow the cause?

Edit:

Changing static to dhcp and commenting out static ip specific line also produces same results. Reverting back to static fixes the problem instantly.

Last edited by dominicm (2015-11-10 18:22:07)

Board footer