You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-01 01:50:55

wilberfan

[SOLVED] Trying to recreate Windows 7/Arch Dual-Boot System

My system got borked, so I'm trying to recreate my Win7/Arch dual-boot setup on a desktop machine.   It's a UEFI, 64-bit machine.

The Windows 7 installer (via DVD) balks if there are ANY existing partitions on the drive. 

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk.  The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

It WILL install if I delete all of the partitions, but contrary to what the Wiki ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Du … th_Windows )  says,

The Windows installation will create the EFI System Partition which can be used by your Linux bootloader.

the Windows install does NOT create the ESP partition.   I've tried creating it myself, but Windows throws the "...cannot be installed to this disk." error again.

What's the secret to installing Windows 7 first--and getting it to create the ESP?   I've searched around and there are comments to the effect that it's throwing that error because the install DVD was booted in a non-UEFI manner.   Is there a way to force it to boot via UEFI??  I've poked around the BIOS, but I'm not seeing anything helpful.

Last edited by wilberfan (2015-11-01 08:29:58)

Hey, be nice...I'm new at this!

#2 2015-11-01 02:09:12

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Trying to recreate Windows 7/Arch Dual-Boot System

wilberfan wrote:

Is there a way to force it to boot via UEFI??  I've poked around the BIOS, but I'm not seeing anything helpful.

Make sure that "CSM" or "Legacy" mode is disabled.

#3 2015-11-01 02:45:34

wilberfan

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
wilberfan wrote:

Is there a way to force it to boot via UEFI??  I've poked around the BIOS, but I'm not seeing anything helpful.

Make sure that "CSM" or "Legacy" mode is disabled.

I went back into the BIOS and found a couple of USB legacy settings, and disabled them.   A save and exit and another attempt to load Windows, but no dice.

And now I can't get back into the BIOS at all. 

The machine will boot whatever is in the DVD drive, but if there's nothing there, I get a black screen with GRUB and a blinking cursor.

NOW what do I do....?

[edit]  I'm guessing I've blinded the machine to my keyboard (USB)?

Last edited by wilberfan (2015-11-01 02:48:39)

#4 2015-11-01 02:54:17

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

wilberfan wrote:

I went back into the BIOS and found a couple of USB legacy settings, and disabled them.

Why would USB settings affect UEFI?

If you have the Arch live ISO on DVD, I believe it has a menu option to reboot into the firmware interface.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-11-01 02:54:29)

#5 2015-11-01 02:56:50

wilberfan

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
wilberfan wrote:

I went back into the BIOS and found a couple of USB legacy settings, and disabled them.

Why would USB settings affect UEFI?

If you have the Arch live ISO on DVD, I believe it has a menu option to reboot into the firmware interface.

It was the only Legacy setting I hadn't tried changing.

I'm not convinced I can boot from the DVD in the UEFI mode.   Do I have any other options to get Windows installed properly?

#6 2015-11-01 02:57:21

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#7 2015-11-01 03:01:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

wilberfan wrote:

I'm not convinced I can boot from the DVD in the UEFI mode

You don't have to, you can reset your firmware ("BIOS") settings without using UEFI.

wilberfan wrote:

Do I have any other options to get Windows installed properly?

You need to enable UEFI and disable the "Compatibility Support Mode/Module" ("CSM") -- this is sometimes known as the "Legacy" boot mode and has nothing to do with the USB ports.

EDIT: Perhaps if you posted your hardware details some sucker kind-hearted individual may search the interweb for details on how to do this and post it here for you.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-11-01 03:04:39)

#8 2015-11-01 03:09:44

wilberfan

I'm burning an Arch Linux CD, but I'm pretty sure the keyboard won't work to select the firmware option.

It's an ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Mobo.  (To any kind, motivated individuals who might be curious.)

#9 2015-11-01 03:15:14

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

wilbefan wrote:

I'm pretty sure the keyboard won't work to select the firmware option.

Er, yeah... good point.
big_smile

Do you have a PS/2 keyboard you could use?

EDIT: You could try removing the CMOS battery in the motherboard to reset the firmware ("BIOS").

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2015-11-01 03:17:26)

#10 2015-11-01 03:16:49

wilberfan

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
wilbefan wrote:

I'm pretty sure the keyboard won't work to select the firmware option.

Er, yeah... good point.
big_smile

Do you have a PS/2 keyboard you could use?

Yeah, the keyboard didn't work--but there was no firmware option anyway.   I don't think I have an old keyboard like that.    I'm hoping pulling the battery off the mobo for 10 minutes will reset the BIOS to default values...

#11 2015-11-01 03:43:29

wilberfan

Pulling the battery restored the BIOS and the keyboard.   I've looked at every option under every tab in that damn BIOS.  Under Boot > PCI ROM Priority there was a "Legacy ROM" or "EFI Compatable ROM" as choices, but selecting the latter didn't make Windows installable.

I'm obviously unclear on the concept, here, but I don't think the option you're having me look for exists on my machine.

I've installed Windows on this box before--but it wasn't in GPT mode at the time.    I can't remember how, but I converting things to GPT *after* I had the dual-boot thing working.   I'm beginning to suspect that's what I'll have to do again...

Last edited by wilberfan (2015-11-01 03:48:28)

#12 2015-11-01 08:29:39

wilberfan

In my case, it's not a firmware setting, it's the install media I've been using.    Some Googling on the Windows error message took me to a page that referenced burning the Windows .iso to a USB drive, that has to be formatted to FAT32.   Easy with a utility called "Rufus".   It's has an option to select a "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" when it writes the USB.   That seems to make the difference.

I made a preliminary test to install Windows (which it does very quickly from a USB!), and it even created the EFI partition I'm going to need when it's time to install Arch.   

I guess I'll consider this solved!

Board footer