You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-16 14:21:03

gunnix
Website

Arch 'reinstall' ?

Hi,

My arch linux install is gone completely fucked up after an upgrade some weeks ago.

Is there any way to reinstall without having to format the current partition? So all my current settings and installed programs would be still there?

Or should I just backup my most important cfg's and home folder and format the partition and install a new system?

As is true for most people I know, I've always loved learning. As is also true for most people I know, I always hated school. Why is that?

#2 2006-04-16 14:28:31

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: Arch 'reinstall' ?

My arch linux install is gone completely fucked up after an upgrade some weeks ago.

If it's "completely fucked up" then chances are you cant get anything from it.

Alternatively, you could actually somewhat explain how it's broken, so that we have some understanding of what state it is in. Otherwise, anything anyone says is purely guessing in the dark.

James

#3 2006-04-16 14:47:37

gunnix
Website

Well you can find more info here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=20000
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=19322&start=15

But I tried already many things and you see no one has any suggestions because it's probably just really fucked up.
I can read all the files from the partitions though, including all the cfg's. So I'll probably be backing up the /etc/ cfg's, home, and then the pacman packages.
Or maybe it's better to just get new packages because maybe there was a download mistake or something in those packages which screwed my system.

Anyway, I guess there's no point asking this here on the forum. I guess I just do it because I don't feel like reinstalling wink

As is true for most people I know, I've always loved learning. As is also true for most people I know, I always hated school. Why is that?

#4 2006-04-16 22:25:59

gunnix
Website

Well that's it, I reinstalled and it's perfect again smile

Board footer