You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-16 18:48:01

patroclo7

Recompile a compiled kernel with ABS

I had been compiling my own kernel with the traditional method for ages. Sometimes ago, I decided to try the ABS method, modifying properly a PKGBUILD for the kernels provided by arch. I now appreciate the provided automation and the ease in combining arch patches with the patches I need or like.
After a deep personalization of the PKGBUILD, there is now only a feature of the old method I continue to miss. It is when I decide to change something in the configuration of a kernel I have already compiled, and I want to recompile it. If I do so with the traditional method, the previous compilation is somewaht "cached"  and only what is actually different is compiled again: thus, the recompilation time is apparently shorter than the time needed by the first compilation.
I am not able to do the same with the ABS method. It seems that the directory with the kernel source into src/ is rewritten every time (i.e., the kernel package is untarred also when is already there). Moreover, I also need to delete completely src/ or part of his content, otherwise makepkg complains about patches already being there. Is there a way to avoid this behaviour, so to shorten the recompilation time?

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#2 2006-04-16 23:12:50

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Re: Recompile a compiled kernel with ABS

install ccache, it will shorten the compilation time by about 75% after the first compile you do with it.

#3 2006-04-17 11:23:14

patroclo7

Re: Recompile a compiled kernel with ABS

Yes, ccache drastically reduces recompilation times (for my kernel, from 30 min to 5 min). However, when you change just a couple of peripheric things in config, 5 minutes are too much. smile Anyway, thanks a lot.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

Board footer