You are not logged in.

#1 2008-03-12 10:56:41

neofit

DSL(PPPoE) setup

I am new to Archlinux and I am very confused.
I installed Archlinux (and I selected all packages just to be safe) and I can`t configure my internet connection.
I use a speedtouch 516v6 modem and until now I was used to just installing my os and having an internet connection right away since it handled all the grunt work.
I have the Beginners Guide and I also looked it up on the wiki but I still can`t figure out how to get my connection running since they all tell me to do things I am not familiar with (like telling me to create a configuration file etc.).
I'd be very happy if anyone could help me through this and guide me step by step.

#2 2008-03-12 14:13:53

berbae

Re: DSL(PPPoE) setup

You may try to use the Search functionality of the forum (third on the blue bar at the top).
Enter the 'speedouch' string to look for.
There are threads about this issue already, but if you don't find anything useful, post again here.
Someone using/knowing this modem surely could help you then (personally I use a Sagem F@st 800 USB adsl modem, so I can be of little help to you).

Sorry I forgot to welcome you big_smile in the Arch community.

I installed Archlinux (and I selected all packages just to be safe)

You should have taken the time to install only what you need/want, because it's one of the advantages of Arch, to be able to configure to one's liking the Linux distribution we use, and so not to have many things we don't use on our system.

Last edited by berbae (2008-03-12 14:21:56)

#3 2008-03-12 20:00:23

neofit

Well I couldn`t find anything that could help me.
As i said I`m new to Archlinux, and also new to linux really (that`s why I wouldn`t know what I need and what I wouldn`t from those packages), so I don't know hot to get around configuring stuff on it so that`s why I thought that I could get some detailed instructions here.

I know I`m a newbie, but I am willing to learn so please bear with me.

#4 2008-03-12 22:30:05

berbae

I don't want to discourage you but if you are entirely new to Linux, I'm not sure that beginning with Arch Linux is a good idea.
Personally I've come to Arch after several years with a more user friendly distribution (it was Suse Linux for me).
If you know absolutely nothing about Linux, I would recommend that you choose first one of these distros : Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva or PCLinuxOS. And after you have used one of them for a while, and you become familiarized with configuration issues or package management or compilation, you will be in a better state to try other more console based or less hand holding distros like Arch or Gentoo or Slackware.
I think that configuring your modem will necessitate to use the AUR and to configure manually in a console.
It's your choice but if I were you, I'd begin with something more accessible.
In any case I hope you a good entrance in the free open source world.
It's surely a nice experience to engage in.

Last edited by berbae (2008-03-13 09:07:30)

#5 2008-03-13 17:15:32

neofit

Well I really don't want to use any of those bloated distros (and i did try about half of that list). My PC isn't a very powerful one and they eat up a lot of it`s resources.

Last edited by neofit (2008-03-13 17:17:05)

#6 2008-03-13 21:42:33

loserMcloser

neofit wrote:

I still can`t figure out how to get my connection running since they all tell me to do things I am not familiar with (like telling me to create a configuration file etc.). I'd be very happy if anyone could help me through this and guide me step by step.

(1) make sure the rp-pppoe package is installed
(2) as root, run pppoe-setup -- this utilitly will ask you questions about your account and will create a configuration file for you. The configuration file will be created at /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
(3) take a look in pppoe.conf and see if there are any other settings you would like to change -- this file has lots of comments to tell you what each setting does. If you don't understand a setting, don't touch it.
(4) try starting up your internet connection by running (as root) "/etc/rc.d/adsl start"
(5) if it doesn't work, look in /var/log/messages.log or /var/log/syslog.log for error messages to try to figure out why.
(6) when you do get  it to work, add adsl to the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf so that the adsl connection starts automatically on each boot.

Good luck!

#7 2008-03-21 11:37:31

neofit

I`d like to thank you first for replying.
Still, I did all that and I couldn't get it to work. I didn't understand anything from the messages.log or syslog.log.
Anyway, I hope I`ll get around this soon.

#8 2008-05-28 12:41:48

moljac024

berbae wrote:

I don't want to discourage you but if you are entirely new to Linux, I'm not sure that beginning with Arch Linux is a good idea.
Personally I've come to Arch after several years with a more user friendly distribution (it was Suse Linux for me).
If you know absolutely nothing about Linux, I would recommend that you choose first one of these distros : Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva or PCLinuxOS. And after you have used one of them for a while, and you become familiarized with configuration issues or package management or compilation, you will be in a better state to try other more console based or less hand holding distros like Arch or Gentoo or Slackware.
I think that configuring your modem will necessitate to use the AUR and to configure manually in a console.
It's your choice but if I were you, I'd begin with something more accessible.
In any case I hope you a good entrance in the free open source world.
It's surely a nice experience to engage in.

Hey,  the best way to learn how to swim is to dive into the ocean! wink

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-05-28 12:42:09)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#9 2008-08-09 10:47:04

Rokixz
Website

loserMcloser wrote:
neofit wrote:

I still can`t figure out how to get my connection running since they all tell me to do things I am not familiar with (like telling me to create a configuration file etc.). I'd be very happy if anyone could help me through this and guide me step by step.

(1) make sure the rp-pppoe package is installed
(2) as root, run pppoe-setup -- this utilitly will ask you questions about your account and will create a configuration file for you. The configuration file will be created at /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
(3) take a look in pppoe.conf and see if there are any other settings you would like to change -- this file has lots of comments to tell you what each setting does. If you don't understand a setting, don't touch it.
(4) try starting up your internet connection by running (as root) "/etc/rc.d/adsl start"
(5) if it doesn't work, look in /var/log/messages.log or /var/log/syslog.log for error messages to try to figure out why.
(6) when you do get  it to work, add adsl to the daemons array in /etc/rc.conf so that the adsl connection starts automatically on each boot.

Good luck!

How to install rp-pppoe without internet?

http://ispconfig.lt - ISPConfig 3 based hosting. Coming Soon!

#10 2010-02-20 21:25:33

warhan

Rokixz wrote:

How to install rp-pppoe without internet?

He can visit this forum. Questions?

My English skill is bad. Sorry, I am from Russia

#11 2015-11-07 16:28:47

u7000

It turns out that Arch can not be used alone - we should we use another distro (debian-based) in order to download those package for arch. Why Arch is so defective - why don't include those package by default ?

Last edited by u7000 (2015-11-07 16:31:21)

#12 2015-11-07 16:36:47

Scimmia
Fellow

u7000 wrote:

It turns out that Arch can not be used alone - we should we use another distro (debian-based) in order to download those package for arch. Why Arch is so defective - why don't include those package by default ?

One heck of a first post. Necrobump, empty post, and ignorant whining.

#13 2015-11-07 16:41:25

ewaller
Administrator

u7000, I saw your report to the moderators and I am afraid I cannot make any sense of it, nor can I figure out what you are trying say since you edited the contents of your post since I first saw it.
This is a seven year old thread that was brought back from the dead five years ago.  I somehow doubt it is still relevant.   I am going to close this thread, but feel free to start a new thread if you have a technical issue and would like some help.  Read over the guide lines I linked.

Before you post, also consider that as a new member, your first post is not exactly endearing to us.  Declaring the project we spend a lot of time supporting to be defective by someone one their very first post is not an effective way to illicit help.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer