You are not logged in.

#1776 2015-11-04 22:56:37

Ropid

Re: infinality-bundle: good looking fonts made (even) easier

reportados wrote:

[...]

I took a look at what urxvt is doing over here for me and I see the same behavior where the CJK characters are shrunk a lot compared to a VTE-based program like termite or Gnome's terminal. It seems quite broken in urxvt.

Then I tried using DejaVu Sans Mono instead of the font I normally use, and I also see those CJK characters that are not quite full size in termite just like in your screenshot. I tried setting "Noto Sans CJK JP" and "M+ 2m" and "Droid Sans Fallback" as the fonts used for CJK characters, and it happens with all of them. What's strange is that M+ 2m works fine with that Fantasque font I like to use.

#1777 2015-11-05 00:30:07

reportados

bohoomil wrote:

@reportados Check otf-noto-fonts-cjk-ib instead of the default CJK package.

Unfortunately, there's no noticable difference.

Ropid wrote:
reportados wrote:

[...]

I took a look at what urxvt is doing over here for me and I see the same behavior where the CJK characters are shrunk a lot compared to a VTE-based program like termite or Gnome's terminal. It seems quite broken in urxvt.

Then I tried using DejaVu Sans Mono instead of the font I normally use, and I also see those CJK characters that are not quite full size in termite just like in your screenshot. I tried setting "Noto Sans CJK JP" and "M+ 2m" and "Droid Sans Fallback" as the fonts used for CJK characters, and it happens with all of them. What's strange is that M+ 2m works fine with that Fantasque font I like to use.

I tried to replicate your setup with the Fantasque font with the other 3 fallback fonts (dejavu sans mono, m+ 2m, and droid sans fallback) in the user fontconfig file but the same problem occurred. I changed the .Xresources font to the fantasque font as well, and added M+ 2m as a fallback. Doing so had the same problem of the fonts being super small. So I changed the fallback in the Xresources to Droid Sans Fallback. This made the CJK font similar to the picture I showed earlier where the CJK font are bigger, but not using the space completely.

Right now, the temporary fix or workaround for me is to switch over to termite, and make the font size slightly bigger. I changed the DejaVu Sans Mono font size from 8pt to 9pt and this is what I see

8f9ITOw.png

It's still not perfect, but I'll have to make do with this until something's figured out.

#1778 2015-11-05 01:43:16

Ropid

I found I had a CJK JP font named "IPAGothic" installed that works well with urxvt, where the sizes of the characters are alright. I experimented like this and I feel it looks correct:

$ urxvt -fn "xft:dejavu sans mono:size=10,xft:ipagothic"

The Arch package is named "otf-ipafont" and has four fonts:

IPAGothic <- sans-serif look with monospace for the latin characters
IPAMincho <- this one has serifs
IPAPGothic <- this one is proportional for the latin characters
IPAPMincho <- ditto

Last edited by Ropid (2015-11-05 01:44:45)

#1779 2015-11-05 02:43:24

reportados

Ropid wrote:

I found I had a CJK JP font named "IPAGothic" installed that works well with urxvt, where the sizes of the characters are alright. I experimented like this and I feel it looks correct:

$ urxvt -fn "xft:dejavu sans mono:size=10,xft:ipagothic"

The Arch package is named "otf-ipafont" and has four fonts:

IPAGothic <- sans-serif look with monospace for the latin characters
IPAMincho <- this one has serifs
IPAPGothic <- this one is proportional for the latin characters
IPAPMincho <- ditto

Awesome! I just tested out IPAGothic and it works wonders!

Here's before:
3mnYDQq.png

and here's after:
YpbEeEG.png

The font fills in the space provided, as well as looking clean. Thanks for taking the time to help me.

If anyone's curious, my .Xresources for the fonts is:

#define normal xft:DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Book:size=9:antialias=true,xft:IPAGothic:style=Regular:antialias=true

URxvt.font           : normal
URxvt.boldFont       : normal
URxvt.italicFont     : normal
URxvt.bolditalicFont : normal

Also, in my 28-user.conf, I set it to prefer IPAGothic instead of Noto Sans CJK JP. However, I just tested and I do not need it at all. I'm going to keep it anyways just in case though.

I've also noticed that if I don't specify the font size in the .Xresources, it'll automatically make it as big as it can for the terminal, which is very nice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I installed ttf-ipafont-ibx instead of otf-ipafont. I tried them both, but I just went with the infinality bundle font instead.

Last edited by reportados (2015-11-05 02:56:01)

#1780 2015-11-05 04:06:28

bohoomil
Website

reportados wrote:

Forgot to mention that I installed ttf-ipafont-ibx instead of otf-ipafont. I tried them both, but I just went with the infinality bundle font instead.

That's why I put it there... ;-)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#1781 2015-11-09 13:38:05

Ledti
Website

Did the freetype2-infinality-ultimate 2.6.1-2 update make most fonts noticeably bolder? I'm not sure if I'm seeing things.

#1782 2015-11-09 15:06:26

trapanator

I noticed that LibreOffice doesn't use antialiasing. I'm on KDE Plasma 5 environment. Have anyone fixed this problem?

#1783 2015-11-09 15:48:41

Ropid

Ledti wrote:

Did the freetype2-infinality-ultimate 2.6.1-2 update make most fonts noticeably bolder? I'm not sure if I'm seeing things.

Yes, it's super bold. I tried fixing it using INFINALITY_FT_GAMMA_CORRECTION="1000 150" and I tried INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS="4 30 34 30 4" and some more slightly different settings for those two variables, but I can't really find anything that makes me completely happy for all fonts and font sizes I looked at.

There's also something fishy going on with some fonts. I noticed the dot for the "i" in Noto Sans has less of a gap than previously in the font sizes I use for desktop programs.

#1784 2015-11-09 16:30:49

bohoomil
Website

Yes, you're right: it is bolder. Just as Ropid suggested, you can try changing the Infinality settings (the brighter presets should do the job) if it's really bothering you. I believe it's just a temporary issue related with implementation of darkening computation function and/or new stem-darkening properties (by the way, there are plenty of other changes being introduced to freetype2 right now). And we're using a development branch of freetype2 after all... ;-)

#1785 2015-11-10 01:42:22

wma

I noticed some issues after the laste update too. Deja Vu Sans in small caps looks odd (https://u.pomf.io/plxfuz.png) and so does Noto Sans bold.

#1786 2015-11-10 09:19:08

inglor
Package Maintainer (PM)

I'm having some issues as well with latest update. I'm using urxvt with .Xresources entries like:

URxvt*font: xft:Monaco:pixelsize=13
URxvt*boldFont: xft:Monaco:pixelsize=13

The fonts are broken after the update with some capital letters appearing wrongly. I think it has to do with capitals with non vertical or horizontal lines (see A and V letters in screenshot)
screenshot

Last edited by inglor (2015-11-10 09:23:39)

#1787 2015-11-10 15:30:44

txtsd
Website

Last update broke DejaVu Sans and Pragmata Pro on my system. Fonts are bolder, and capital letters are all over the place with their vertical alignment.
Will the next update rectify this?

[CPU] AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
[iGPU] AMD RX Vega 11
[Kernel] linux-zen
[sway] [zsh] Arch user since [2014-09-01 02:09]

#1788 2015-11-10 19:13:35

bohoomil
Website

OK guys, I fixed whatever I was able to. Please, install the new packages and see if things are back to the acceptable state.

#1789 2015-11-10 19:18:21

Stefan Husmann

The extra boldness is gone, not sure about the other ones, because I did not have that issues.

#1790 2015-11-10 19:31:28

wma

bohoomil wrote:

OK guys, I fixed whatever I was able to. Please, install the new packages and see if things are back to the acceptable state.

The two problems I reported (Deja Vu Sans small caps and Noto Sans bold) are fixed. Thanks!

#1791 2015-11-10 19:52:52

Roken

I can't find this anywhere, but when Infinality-ultimate  upgrades I am advised to install or upgrade lib32-fontconfig-infinali-ultimate, which doesn't seem to exist (I also tried lib32-fontconfig-infinality-ultimate with no luck).

Not that it seems to cause a problem, but it's annoying.

Last edited by Roken (2015-11-10 19:53:07)

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#1792 2015-11-10 20:09:11

Banton

Roken wrote:

I can't find this anywhere, but when Infinality-ultimate  upgrades I am advised to install or upgrade lib32-fontconfig-infinali-ultimate, which doesn't seem to exist (I also tried lib32-fontconfig-infinality-ultimate with no luck).

Not that it seems to cause a problem, but it's annoying.

You have to enable the multilib repo for infinality. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … e-multilib

#1793 2015-11-11 14:12:22

Stefan Husmann

No, the message says something like if you have multilib enabled, you should also install  lib32-fontconfig-infinality-ultimate. No need to instll it otherwise.

#1794 2015-11-12 10:06:18

trapanator

I am having bad font kerning in LibreOffice. Click on the thumbnail, above is Konsole with correct font kerning, below LibreOffice:

badfont.jpg

#1795 2015-11-29 10:34:37

xyzzy

I've just upgraded to freetype2-infinality-ultimate-2.6.2-1 and it's completely broken my font configuration.

I've made sure that all the same environment variables are set (I was setting them through /etc/environment rather than the now removed infinality-settings.sh so they're still set with the new version), also set INFINALITY_FT=custom. They don't appear to take effect at all.

Screenshots for comparison, before and after the upgrade.

Any idea how to get it back to looking like the first screenshot with the new version?

#1796 2015-11-29 11:19:45

brebs

xyzzy wrote:

Your "before" is overly-bold, and the "after" looks fine to me. That's an *improvement*, surely?

If you want to see the differences that the parameters make, run e.g.:

INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS="14 20 32 20 14" firefox

(Close firefox first, of course, so that a fresh instance of firefox is started.)

#1797 2015-11-29 11:29:13

xyzzy

brebs wrote:

Your "before" is overly-bold, and the "after" looks fine to me. That's an *improvement*, surely?

That's a matter of opinion wink I used OS X before coming to Arch, and that has bolder fonts which I quite liked.

brebs wrote:

If you want to see the differences that the parameters make, run e.g.:

INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS="14 20 32 20 14" firefox

(Close firefox first, of course, so that a fresh instance of firefox is started.)

Changing that does have an effect but I can't replicate what I had before. I'm wondering if there was any intentional behaviour change that I can work around. Right now the exact same settings I had before are producing completely different results.

#1798 2015-11-29 11:48:46

brebs

xyzzy wrote:

bolder fonts which I quite liked.

Try e.g.:

INFINALITY_FT_FILTER_PARAMS="18 20 32 20 18"

And also experiment with the other parameters.

#1799 2015-11-29 19:45:27

Ropid

xyzzy wrote:

I've just upgraded to freetype2-infinality-ultimate-2.6.2-1 and it's completely broken my font configuration.

I've made sure that all the same environment variables are set (I was setting them through /etc/environment rather than the now removed infinality-settings.sh so they're still set with the new version), also set INFINALITY_FT=custom. They don't appear to take effect at all.

Any idea how to get it back to looking like the first screenshot with the new version?

Can you post your old settings that you have in /etc/environment?

#1800 2015-11-30 00:58:11

bohoomil
Website

Just a little note: There is already a new version of freetype2-iu v.2.6.2-2 in the repo that fixes several issues the users have reported since yesterday. As I stated on the project's G+ page, I tested the new functionality as thoroughly as I was able to and everything seems to be working as expected, including the old style customization via environmental variables. Please bear in mind that that the upstream is constantly working on the source code and the number of improvements introduced over the last several months has been huge. All of them do affect the way fonts look but IMO the results are very positive. Speaking of darkness/lightness of the fonts, here's goddesse's response:

goddesse wrote:

If people are complaining about the darkness or lightness of the fonts and they relied on the default value infinality set, that definitely would've changed recently. Please see: http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/ … ering.html

The first filter is what's internally set by default (for filter lcddefault) in the older infinality patches and that might be what some users who weren't using the ultimate presets are expecting.

I believe this should shed some light on the matter.

Last edited by bohoomil (2015-11-30 01:02:37)

Board footer