You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-29 22:11:59

slowz3r

Hibernate/Resume setup

So I have gone round and round consulting all the relevant wikis and forum posts about my issue and still stuck.

I am trying to get Arch to resume from hibernation,

running

mkinitcpio -L

shows that the resume hook is available.

I edit my /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf file to reflect resume and now my arch.conf file shows

title  Arch LInux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options root=PARTUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx resume=PARTUUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have also tried placing the resume in its own option line and still nothing.

My FSTAB is currently

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system> <dir>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# UUID=085c2d8a-e84b-4cf5-bf29-6586e8e557bf
/dev/sda3               /               ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 1

# UUID=CDEA-632C
/dev/sda1               /boot           vfat            rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=re$

# UUID=8ed9a2b0-5993-4a55-b2fc-71bb75a71fc3
/dev/sda4               /home           ext4            rw,relatime,data=ordered        0 2

# UUID=df366176-c985-48bd-b09c-fa6f1db05f07
/dev/sda2               none            swap            defaults        0 0

also I made sure that my

/etc/mkinitcpio.conf

HOOKS= line contained resume. 

I have tried everything I can think of to get this to work

I am not using GRUB as my bootloader but am using systemd-boot(aka gummiboot).  I have also uninstalled pm-utils as my understanding is that systemd does not require pm-utils anymore. Maybe it was creating a conflict?

#2 2015-08-30 00:17:48

Xabre

Re: Hibernate/Resume setup

You are correct, you can't have two systems governing the same thing. Either use systemd or pm-utils. Your configs look fine.

However, you have not mentioned what exactly is the problem?
Do you have any hardware that is commonly known to cause problems?

#3 2015-08-30 00:44:20

slowz3r

Xabre wrote:

You are correct, you can't have two systems governing the same thing. Either use systemd or pm-utils. Your configs look fine.

However, you have not mentioned what exactly is the problem?
Do you have any hardware that is commonly known to cause problems?

Oh wow, I'm dumb, When I hibernate it seems to go into hibernate just fine but when it comes to start back up and resume it starts up like a fresh power up and does not resume from swap.

I'm not sure how long or if at all hibernate data is stored in my swap partition but when I check my swap partition it is still empty.  Or does swap get cleared during a power on if swap isnt accessed for resume purposes

I dont have any hardware that I have read to cause any problems:  Dell inspiron 5000 series 15',  4th gen i7, 8gig ram, 1tb drive.  Nothing out of the ordinary.

#4 2015-08-30 01:08:05

Xabre

Does it also have hybrid graphics?
I have a HP ProBook, generally similar specs (Haswell, Haswell IGP + AMD Radeon DGP), and hibernation almost always fails because it cannot hibernate Radeon properly (if I disable Radeon in BIOS/UEFI, hibernation works flawlessly).
Maybe it's your wireless stack? Maybe something like TLP settings that are conflicting with resuming part of the hibernation?

Is there anything in logs that looks suspicious?

#5 2015-08-30 01:40:19

frostschutz

Does /proc/cmdline look like you expect it to?

And /proc/swaps only shows the one swap partition, and you've specified the correct PARTUUID? (In your post above it says PARTUID by the way)

#6 2015-08-30 02:59:59

slowz3r

Xabre wrote:

I have a HP ProBook, generally similar specs (Haswell, Haswell IGP + AMD Radeon DGP), and hibernation almost always fails because it cannot hibernate Radeon properly (if I disable Radeon in BIOS/UEFI, hibernation works flawlessly).
Maybe it's your wireless stack? Maybe something like TLP settings that are conflicting with resuming part of the hibernation?

No hybrid graphics.....Hmm maybe its laptop-mode-tools and or powertop,  I will give that shot

frostshutz wrote:

Does /proc/cmdline look like you expect it to?
And /proc/swaps only shows the one swap partition, and you've specified the correct PARTUUID? (In your post above it says PARTUID by the way)

Yea, everything looks just fine. on both of those fronts.

#7 2015-08-30 03:22:00

slowz3r

Xabre wrote:

Disabled my both of my power management packages (powertop and laptop-mode) and got nothing.  I am about to really cut my losses and just say screw it.

Any other ideas from anyone?  I will really give anything a shot, even go as far as a reinstall.

Also found this

pretty much my issue

Last edited by slowz3r (2015-08-30 03:39:28)

#8 2015-08-30 06:39:57

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Hibernate currently does fail on many systems. Either it reaches a black screen with a blinking cursor but otherwise dead system, so you have to hard stop everything using the power button. Or it starts a normal boot immediately. I tested several tricks to get it working which it even did for some time four out of five attempts but with recent kernels everything stopped again.

Judgin from the logs (dmesg, journalctl) of a successful restore from hibernation, there a quite some initialization steps to be done before the stored image can be loaded into state again. The problem might be that some of these will not readily accomplished depending on the kernel currently running.

Thus there is not much hope..

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#9 2015-08-30 07:06:35

frostschutz

bernarcher wrote:

Either it reaches a black screen with a blinking cursor but otherwise dead system

My VM does that but only because for some reason it switches me to Alt-F10 or so which happens to be a... black screen with blinking cursor. And it takes some time to recover. You can Alt-F1 switch to the main text terminal, but I/O does not yet work for a while so everything appears to hang. Give it 2-3 minutes and it's back in working order. I don't know if that's normal, I was hoping for it to be an oddity of virtualization. The VM itself is running 4.1.6 kernel.

I don't have much experience with hibernate / resume, I was kind of trying to avoid it, as it can fry your data. I've been using Suspend to RAM instead, and only recently started experimenting with Hibernation.

slowz3r: cat /sys/power/resume? Should probably be 8:2

#10 2015-08-30 09:25:49

lucke

Have you actually rebuilt initcpio with mkinitcpio?

#11 2015-08-30 10:49:32

loqs

You could try the systemd hook instead of the resume hook note you may need to replace some other hooks with their systemd counterparts see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#HOOKS.

#12 2015-08-30 13:45:24

slowz3r

lucke wrote:

Have you actually rebuilt initcpio with mkinitcpio?

Yes I have,  For what ever reason the resume hook was not available but when i rebuilt initcpio it became available.  But yes, I have done that

loqs wrote:

You could try the systemd hook instead of the resume hook note you may need to replace some other hooks with their systemd counterparts see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#HOOKS.

I think I will give that a try sometime today and see if that works. 

bernarcher wrote:

Hibernate currently does fail on many systems. Either it reaches a black screen with a blinking cursor but otherwise dead system, so you have to hard stop everything using the power button. Or it starts a normal boot immediately. I tested several tricks to get it working which it even did for some time four out of five attempts but with recent kernels everything stopped again.
Judgin from the logs (dmesg, journalctl) of a successful restore from hibernation, there a quite some initialization steps to be done before the stored image can be loaded into state again. The problem might be that some of these will not readily accomplished depending on the kernel currently running.
Thus there is not much hope..

That is promising.... hmm

#13 2015-09-27 08:03:20

ktoump

Hello, did you resolve this problem? Did changing to systemd flag helped? I don't want to start another thread since this one is just a month's old, and I have pretty much the same problem (systemd-boot, hibernate hangs on resume, and forces hard reset)

#14 2015-11-09 18:35:49

ReiserFS

I had same issue. using grub for bootloader solved problem. I think this is related to systemd-boot.

Board footer