piedro

SDDM starts on tty1 instead of tty7 and asks for gnome keyring pass

Hello!

1. As it says in the wiki to make KDE or GNOME start on tty7 I have to add:

/etc/sddm.conf

[XDisplay]
MinimumVT=7

This does not work.

I'd rather like it to start on tty7 because I can watch the system messages on tty1. I am sure there is a more easy way to watch the system output so I'd be happy to hear about it (as I could leave the sddm settings untouched...)

2. Also when I login to gnome the gnome-keyring always wants to have my legitimation.

Now there are many posts about that. But I just don't get it. I tried the settings suggested for pam.d from the Arch Wiki on gnome keyring. (But to be honest I am not even sure whether it is correct to configure pam.d...)

Probably I just have to add to "/etc/sddm.conf" to open the gnome-keyring automatically with logging in a gnome session. But how to do that?

Thx for some help here,
piedro

#2 2015-11-09 13:22:42

LCvanDinteren

Re: SDDM starts on tty1 instead of tty7 and asks for gnome keyring pass

I don't know what exactly shows on tty1 for system messages, but I suppose it could be the same as /var/log/syslog?
If this is the case, you can simply open a terminal and tail the syslog file, not having to mess with tty at all.

Try the following commands:

tail -f /var/log/syslog
tail -f /var/log/messages

or have a look at the watch command.

I hope this is what you're looking for.

#3 2015-11-09 17:23:31

piedro

thx for your answer.

But none of your commands work, both give me:

"file or directory doesn't exist...", I guess I have to use systemctl to read boot messages and stuff.

Sure, I know, there a ways to bring log info up. But why should I start x on a console that already has some useful information? Please, let's not discuss my motivation... what I want, might be utterly stupid.

Let's just assume I do not want to start my x-sessions on tty1.

In the wiki it says i can use "MinimumVT'=5" in sddm.conf but that does not work.
What is the correct way of starting the graphical sessions from tty5 and upwards?

thx, p.

p.s: Way more important is to start gnome-keyring with SDDM. Any insight?

#4 2015-11-09 18:48:20

Xabre

It's not syslog, systemd uses journald. If you add systemd hook to your initcpio, you'll be able to see even those very early messages via journalctl.

Alo, I suspect that appearance of SDDM on first tty regardless of [XDisplay] setting is a result of SDDM using wayland in recent few versions (GDM does the same thing, unless you disable wayland support).

Last edited by Xabre (2015-11-09 18:52:08)

#5 2015-11-09 18:57:14

LCvanDinteren

piedro wrote:

thx for your answer.

But none of your commands work, both give me:

"file or directory doesn't exist...", I guess I have to use systemctl to read boot messages and stuff.

Ah right, I'm sorry, was on my Ubuntu when I was testing the commands...

piedro wrote:

Sure, I know, there a ways to bring log info up. But why should I start x on a console that already has some useful information? Please, let's not discuss my motivation... what I want, might be utterly stupid.

Let's just assume I do not want to start my x-sessions on tty1.

In your first post you said you'd be happy to hear about other ways to view the logs.

piedro wrote:

In the wiki it says i can use "MinimumVT'=5" in sddm.conf but that does not work.
What is the correct way of starting the graphical sessions from tty5 and upwards?

thx, p.

p.s: Way more important is to start gnome-keyring with SDDM. Any insight?

I have no knowledge of this, sorry. Just wanted to share my (apparently) failure on syslog xD

#6 2015-11-09 19:24:24

piedro

Sry, man, I did not want to sound salty here,

I am happy to hear about alternatives... though it honestly occurred to me that this might have been a stupid thing for me to ask at this moment (cause it is obviously a completely unconnected issue...).

I should asked more focused questions and deal with one (of my many) gaps in knowledge at a time.

So thanks again for filling in,
p.

Last edited by piedro (2015-11-10 12:42:40)

#7 2015-11-09 19:34:42

piedro

@xabre:

Thx for the clarification.

So there is a change in place here to prepare for future changes (that have no effect yet) breaking the present behaviour. It's a bit funny... and a bit sad... I am glad this doesn't happen with important stuff...

Well, I will wait for the next wayland iteration then before looking into this again.
But I will add the hook to "mkinitcpio.conf" and enable it!

Cheers, p.

Last edited by piedro (2015-11-09 19:35:18)

Board footer