You are not logged in.

#176 2015-10-20 12:34:15

Ambrevar
Website

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

The Compiler wrote:
Ambrevar wrote:

For now the one feature I miss from dwb is the lack of bookmark page.

So just a list of all bookmarks as a HTML page? That should be quite easy - feel free to open an issue!

I thought so too! tongue Will do it just now.

The Compiler wrote:

Cool! By the way, as you're a TU: Are you interested on packaging qutebrowser for [community] by any chance? That'd be most appreciated!

I might just so! I'll keep using it for a while, see where it goes and if all looks good it might make its way to community! big_smile

#177 2015-10-20 15:32:10

Ambrevar
Website

Is there any way to start a new instance while another is already running?

There is something that looks inconsistent: if you spawn a second instance of qutebrowser with a different {base,config,data,cache}dir, it will connect to the first instance and use its folders. The dir option is ignored. Or am I wrong?

Edit: The `--temp-basedir` option does start a new instance. However it forces the basedir and removes it on exit.

Last edited by Ambrevar (2015-10-20 17:20:52)

#178 2015-10-20 22:18:37

Onyros

I've been using for a very short time now, but it's easy peasy to configure to anyone's liking. This is going to replace dwb for me, definitely. And congrats for the great work - the only QT application I have installed, too!

There's a strange thing happening, though. I've remapped the "t" key to "set-cmd-text -s :open -t" but there's a slight delay before the auto-completion window opens when I use that key. If I use the default "O" key or even remap the "o" key to "set-cmd-text -s :open -t" there's no delay whatsoever, the window pops up instantly.

It's a very minor gripe, but any idea why that may happen? Might "t" be construed as an ambiguous key binding? I have no other key combinations starting with t.

edit: Totally disregard that, I was being silly. I haven't slept in a few days. Carry on, great browser, fantastic work.

(I did have other keybindings starting with t, so it behaved as it should)

Last edited by Onyros (2015-10-20 22:41:00)

#179 2015-10-22 07:57:10

The Compiler
Website

Ambrevar wrote:

Is there any way to start a new instance while another is already running?

There is something that looks inconsistent: if you spawn a second instance of qutebrowser with a different {base,config,data,cache}dir, it will connect to the first instance and use its folders. The dir option is ignored. Or am I wrong?

Edit: The `--temp-basedir` option does start a new instance. However it forces the basedir and removes it on exit.

Using --basedir should give you a different instance. It's deliberately not possible to start another instance with the same basedir, as it'd be different to impossible to synchronize data of multiple instances.

But indeed, the config/data/cachedir arguments are ignored in that case. Maybe a warning should be printed to the console at least... I opened #1046.

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#180 2015-10-22 21:44:39

Onyros

1. I'm having some issues with video streaming. For instance on Youtube:

http://i.imgur.com/uJR4a6K.png

They're both playing at 360p, not great quality to start with, but all videos on qutebrowser play a little pixellated - as compared to the screenshot below, which is on dwb. Same quality on Chromium, for instance.

Are there any tweaks needed? This is on the HTML5 player, I don't have (and don't intend to have) the Flash player installed.

2. Is there any way to make the "Open in new window" from a right click on a link load a tab in the background instead of always activating the tab?

CTRL+Click opens in a background tab; middle click on mouse opens in a background tab... the qt5 dialog "Open link in new window" always activates the tab.

Other than that, I'm hooked. It's blazing fast and I have it working exactly as I had dwb in its oldies goldies. If I can get video working as it should, I'm ditching Chromium altogether, too.

#181 2015-10-23 04:55:30

The Compiler
Website

Onyros wrote:

1. I'm having some issues with video streaming. For instance on Youtube:

http://i.imgur.com/uJR4a6K.png

They're both playing at 360p, not great quality to start with, but all videos on qutebrowser play a little pixellated - as compared to the screenshot below, which is on dwb. Same quality on Chromium, for instance.

Are there any tweaks needed? This is on the HTML5 player, I don't have (and don't intend to have) the Flash player installed.

This is most likely a Qt/QtWebKit issue I can't do much about :-/

It'll probably get better with the QtWebEngine/Chromium backend in the future (#666). In the meantime I'd recommend using mpv to play Youtube videos instead - see 9. in the FAQ.

Onyros wrote:

2. Is there any way to make the "Open in new window" from a right click on a link load a tab in the background instead of always activating the tab?

CTRL+Click opens in a background tab; middle click on mouse opens in a background tab... the qt5 dialog "Open link in new window" always activates the tab.

Other than that, I'm hooked. It's blazing fast and I have it working exactly as I had dwb in its oldies goldies. If I can get video working as it should, I'm ditching Chromium altogether, too.

No - why bother using that menu at all? tongue

I'd involve doing the menu from scratch instead of using the one which comes with QtWebKit - I plan to do that, see #349, but it's not a priority.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#182 2015-10-23 21:32:33

Onyros

The Compiler wrote:

--snippety--

Onyros wrote:

No - why bother using that menu at all? tongue

I'd involve doing the menu from scratch instead of using the one which comes with QtWebKit - I plan to do that, see #349, but it's not a priority.

I understand, it's not the browser's focus at all, you should be able to do everything from the keyboard - and that's 90% of my usage. I just make use of the the right-click menu when I'm doing one-handed browsing...

... while I'm eating. (Dirty minds)

Last edited by Onyros (2015-10-23 21:32:46)

#183 2015-10-24 11:02:45

karlch

I don't know how often I've read the "How to write userscripts" documentation but I just cannot find out how to run userscripts on a URL you select via hints... Would someone enlighten me, please? smile

I've tried mapping a key in hint mode and entering hint mode in the script. The script always runs in command mode for me.

#184 2015-10-25 19:13:20

The Compiler
Website

karlch wrote:

I don't know how often I've read the "How to write userscripts" documentation but I just cannot find out how to run userscripts on a URL you select via hints... Would someone enlighten me, please? smile

I've tried mapping a key in hint mode and entering hint mode in the script. The script always runs in command mode for me.

You'll need to call :hint links userscript ... - I just clarified the documentation to mention that.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#185 2015-10-26 10:32:57

karlch

Perfect, thank you!

#186 2015-10-28 00:40:45

Reded

Just a curiosity here - is there any way to use Qutebrowser with something like Tabbed? One of the big things I miss from Firefox is being able to group my tabs, and I figured a more 'simple' solution would be to run Qutebrowser in Tabbed, however when I try Qutebrowser doesn't seem to be swallowed by it. I'm using AwesomeWM so don't have a tabbed window layout like i3 has either! 

Does anyone know of a solution for this? big_smile

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

#187 2015-10-31 08:57:48

Ambrevar
Website

Google Hangout does not seem to be working. Any solution?

#188 2015-11-02 10:12:50

null

At the moment if there is more than one login prompt qutebrowser will not auto focus the second one but focus the page. Because I've to login to multiple sites regularly, I'd love to see that fixed smile

#189 2015-11-05 20:35:21

The Compiler
Website

Reded wrote:

Just a curiosity here - is there any way to use Qutebrowser with something like Tabbed? One of the big things I miss from Firefox is being able to group my tabs, and I figured a more 'simple' solution would be to run Qutebrowser in Tabbed, however when I try Qutebrowser doesn't seem to be swallowed by it. I'm using AwesomeWM so don't have a tabbed window layout like i3 has either! 

Does anyone know of a solution for this? big_smile

I don't think that's possible - tabbed requires clients to support XEmbed. There was QX11EmbedWidget in Qt 4, but there's no equivalent in Qt 5. I'm guessing you want to subscribe to #927.

Ambrevar wrote:

Google Hangout does not seem to be working. Any solution?

Unfortunately not - Google Hangout doesn't seem to support QtWebKit.

It should work fine with the future QtWebEngine backend (#666) though.

null wrote:

At the moment if there is more than one login prompt qutebrowser will not auto focus the second one but focus the page. Because I've to login to multiple sites regularly, I'd love to see that fixed smile

I could reproduce this and opened #1093. I don't think I'll get to fixing that anytime soon though, sorry! If you write Python, a contribution would be much appreciated, and I'm happy to help you getting started.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#190 2015-11-10 18:16:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Hi, I think I might be missing something simple - but it seems qutebrowser tries to download to liberally.  Specifically if I try to just view a text file, or even an html file that lacks a filename extension, it is not displayed, but only downloaded.

This makes it impossible to use qutebrowser to view html emails from mutt.

Is there a way to have qutebrowser display these files like firefox, or dwb do?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#191 2015-11-10 19:27:17

The Compiler
Website

Trilby wrote:

Hi, I think I might be missing something simple - but it seems qutebrowser tries to download to liberally.  Specifically if I try to just view a text file, or even an html file that lacks a filename extension, it is not displayed, but only downloaded.

This makes it impossible to use qutebrowser to view html emails from mutt.

Is there a way to have qutebrowser display these files like firefox, or dwb do?

I'm guessing you're talking about local files for both? That's unfortunately a Qt "bug" sad

But there's an issue for that (tm)! - #556.

As a workaround, you can write a wrapper script which renames the file to have an extension and then calls qutebrowser on it.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#192 2015-11-10 19:31:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Yes they are local files in all cases.  Thanks, the renaming-script workaround works for viewing html emails from mutt.  But I'd also love to see this work without the workaround - as with the commentor in the github issue, I don't see as offering to download a file when one views a local file to make much sense.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#193 2015-11-12 02:33:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Onyros wrote:

I've remapped the "t" key to "set-cmd-text -s :open -t" but there's a slight delay...

Can I ask what the other binding was?  I'm having the exact same problem.  I verified that it was an ambiguous binding that was leading to the delay by setting the "timeout" setting to a higher value, and the delay after hitting 't' increased.

But I've scoured my keys.conf for any other bindings starting with 't' - there are none.  I've grepped, and there are none.  Is there some other file the binding might be in?  Or is there some way to list all current key bindings?

EDIT: I've found 'th' and 'tl' are bound to history commands, but these are definitely not in my keys.conf - manually "unbinding" both of these gets rid of the delay.  Where are these being bound initially?  Alternatively, is there a way to run commands at startup so I don't need to run these unbind commands manually at every start?

EDIT: I have the same issue with binding ; to bring up the command line entry.  I have to manually unbind ;r ;y ;i ;o ;d ;f ;h ;b ;R ;Y ;I and ;O before I can use the semicolon without a lag.  None of those bindings are in my keys.conf.  It seems there are many default bindings regardless of what is set in keys.conf.  Is there a way to *unset* all of these?

EDIT: nevermind, I just found it

# keys.conf
<unbound>
   th
   tl
   ;r
   ;y
# ...

Last edited by Trilby (2015-11-12 02:44:32)

#194 2015-11-15 08:01:54

Mercader1902

Hi, how can I disable adblock? A whitelist would be very handy.

#195 2015-11-15 11:56:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Mercader1902, I believe you just need to see the following two lines in the config:

host-block-lists = ...
host-blocking-enabled = true

As there is no true "Adblock" but there is host blocking.  If you wish to disable it complete, change "true" on the second line to false.  If you'd like to selectively enable/disable some source, edit the first of the two lines (which I've reduced to ... but it is a list of urls of lists).

#196 2015-11-15 12:15:11

Marie-Lou

Hi,

I would like to use advanced features of Keepassx, especially the "Global Auto-Type Shortcut" with qutebrowser. Unfortunately, I can't see qutebrowser window in the "Select Target Window" tool. Does anybody has a solution?

Thanks

#197 2015-11-16 07:05:09

The Compiler
Website

Trilby wrote:

Yes they are local files in all cases.  Thanks, the renaming-script workaround works for viewing html emails from mutt.  But I'd also love to see this work without the workaround - as with the commentor in the github issue, I don't see as offering to download a file when one views a local file to make much sense.

I agree! Unfortunately it's a bit of work to get this working properly, as qutebrowser will have to load the file manually and guess the correct content-type, etc.

I just tried with Otter Browser (another Qt5 browser) - it doesn't offer to download the file at least, but it displays the HTML as plain text, which isn't much better wink

Trilby wrote:
Onyros wrote:

I've remapped the "t" key to "set-cmd-text -s :open -t" but there's a slight delay...

Can I ask what the other binding was?  I'm having the exact same problem.  I verified that it was an ambiguous binding that was leading to the delay by setting the "timeout" setting to a higher value, and the delay after hitting 't' increased.

But I've scoured my keys.conf for any other bindings starting with 't' - there are none.  I've grepped, and there are none.  Is there some other file the binding might be in?  Or is there some way to list all current key bindings?

EDIT: I've found 'th' and 'tl' are bound to history commands, but these are definitely not in my keys.conf - manually "unbinding" both of these gets rid of the delay.  Where are these being bound initially?  Alternatively, is there a way to run commands at startup so I don't need to run these unbind commands manually at every start?

EDIT: I have the same issue with binding ; to bring up the command line entry.  I have to manually unbind ;r ;y ;i ;o ;d ;f ;h ;b ;R ;Y ;I and ;O before I can use the semicolon without a lag.  None of those bindings are in my keys.conf.  It seems there are many default bindings regardless of what is set in keys.conf.  Is there a way to *unset* all of these?

EDIT: nevermind, I just found it

# keys.conf
<unbound>
   th
   tl
   ;r
   ;y
# ...

I just noticed this isn't even documented in keys.conf, I should change that wink

After the config (r)evolution there'll also be an easy way to not load any default keybindings at all.

Mercader1902 wrote:

Hi, how can I disable adblock? A whitelist would be very handy.

Apart from what Trilby already told you, in the git version there's also content -> host-blocking-whitelist to exclude some domains from being blocked despite being in the adblock list.

If you want to disable adblocking completely for some pages, that'll come as part of per domain settings at some point in the future.

Marie-Lou wrote:

I would like to use advanced features of Keepassx, especially the "Global Auto-Type Shortcut" with qutebrowser. Unfortunately, I can't see qutebrowser window in the "Select Target Window" tool. Does anybody has a solution?

I think you're running into KeePassX bug #236 / QTBUG-42209. I'm guessing you are on Qt 5.5 though?

File "<stdin>", line 1

#198 2015-11-16 10:22:32

Marie-Lou

Thank you for your reply.
I use qutebrowser into Debian Jessie (and experimental repository, as mentionned in INSTALL) and I guess I'm on Qt 5.3.
Problem is solved with Keepassx 2.0 (instead of 0.4.3).

#199 2015-11-16 10:36:48

The Compiler
Website

Marie-Lou wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
I use qutebrowser into Debian Jessie (and experimental repository, as mentionned in INSTALL) and I guess I'm on Qt 5.3.
Problem is solved with Keepassx 2.0 (instead of 0.4.3).

Wrong forum then wink

Might want to use the IRC or mailinglist (see Getting help) instead as these kind of issues can be distribution specific.

But I'm glad I could help! smile

File "<stdin>", line 1

#200 2015-11-16 13:00:47

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The Compiler wrote:

After the config (r)evolution there'll also be an easy way  ...

Great - I'm looking forward to it, thanks.

Board footer