You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-16 18:53:32

hayer44

Yet another arch system not shutting down(suspend, reboot)

Hello. I have some problems with my arch. I installed it on my laptop(dell vostro 5470) two years ago. It worked fine about one year. But once it didn't suspend. And now it randomly doesn't suspend. I have the same problems with shutting it down. The problem looks like: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=203161 , but solution of topic starter doesn't work for me. It is hard to isolate problem, because sometimes it works fine, especially after booting. But if I use it for several hours it may probably fail to suspend. Laptop blacks display, but coolers are still working. So I have to hardly reset it.

I don't understand how to get logs when it fails to suspend.

I have tried to switch to LTS kernel, to remove Network Manager, to disable laptop mode tools, but I still have this problem.

I don't know which logs may be useful.

Thanks!

#2 2015-11-16 19:22:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Yet another arch system not shutting down(suspend, reboot)

Read your journal. Not a Sysadmin issue, moving to NC...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-11-16 19:28:21

Zucca

I have had these kinds of problems. But those wanished. I never knew what caused them.
LightDM (topic) might be one of the things that causes the problems.

Worst thing with these kind of freezes is that (back then) if the computer affected by the problem was in locked state, and you couldn't access to it remotely and needed to hard reset it --> journal was corrupted. Sometimes journald just didn't have any lines indicating any problems.

Anyway as with my case, some package with close integration with systemd, or systemd itself, caused this in my PC. I'd maybe try to see if you could update systemd or downgrade it. But maybe first... Do you have LightDM as your display manager?

Last edited by Zucca (2015-11-16 19:33:43)

K.i.s.s. <3

#4 2015-11-16 19:50:19

hayer44

Zucca wrote:

I have had these kinds of problems. But those wanished. I never knew what caused them.

Worst thing with these kind of freezes is that (back then) if the computer affected by the problem was in locked state, and you couldn't access to it remotely and needed to hard reset it --> journal was corrupted. Sometimes journald just didn't have any lines indicating any problems.

Anyway as with my case, some package with close integration with systemd, or systemd itself, caused this in my PC. I'd maybe try to see if you could update systemd or downgrade it. But maybe first... Do you have LightDM as your display manager?

Journal seems to be corrupted when something goes wrong in this way. I have XFCE.

#5 2015-11-16 20:34:18

Zucca

hayer44 wrote:

Journal seems to be corrupted when something goes wrong in this way. I have XFCE.

Yeah. I know the feeling trying to find the problem bildfolded. sad Let's try anyway.

But I didn't ask for your desktop environment. I asked which display manager / login manager do you use.

K.i.s.s. <3

#6 2015-11-16 20:45:31

hayer44

Zucca wrote:

Oh, I don't use any DM, I just start xfce in my ~/.bash_profile.

#7 2015-11-16 21:11:49

Roken

I had this exact problem last night. This morning, no issue. Last night, Natron had bombed on me, this morning, it hadn't. Last night, me external USB enclosure (HD) was slightly off on the cable, today it isn't. It's almost certainly something simple. You just have check for dead S/W or dodgy H/W, and it doesn;t take long to find a hung program or non-responsive hardware.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

Board footer