You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-17 23:00:50

CptnChristo

[SOLVED] File conflict: alsa-utils and bacula-bat; File bug?

Pacman recently complained of a file conflict for /usr/bin/bat when upgrading to alsa-utils-1.1.0-1. That file is provided by package bacula-bat-7.2.0-2 (AUR).

The wiki says that, in such cases, a bug report should be filed. Clicking on the bug report link takes me to another wiki page with a long list of "file a bug unless..." issues. It's difficult to parse and process all that information. I'm happy to file a bug report if it's warranted, but I'd like someone else to confirm it's a legitimate bug before I file it.

I confirmed that the prior package (alsa-utils-1.0.29-2) DOES NOT include /usr/bin/bat. So, that file is first introduced  in the problem-causing alsa-utils-1.1.0-1.

I have also confirmed by downloading source tarballs from the ALSA project that /usr/bin/bat did not exist in the prior package version: 1.0.29.

Given the above, it's clear the ALSA project is distributing a new executable as part of their project. The name they chose conflicts with an existing, albeit non-core, package. So, my confusion:

Is this an upstream bug? I wouldn't think so, because it's not the ALSA project's responsibility to guarantee conflict-free naming with every other piece of software written.

Is this an Arch bug? Not sure, because bacula-bat is from AUR. Does that mean the AUR maintainer needs to change the package to avoid name conflicts with core packages?

Any thoughts? Anyone?

Last edited by CptnChristo (2015-11-18 01:43:44)

#2 2015-11-17 23:22:55

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] File conflict: alsa-utils and bacula-bat; File bug?

CptnChristo wrote:

Does that mean the AUR maintainer needs to change the package to avoid name conflicts with core packages?

Bingo. Unless you can show that the alsa filename is unintentional or convince them to change it, the AUR package will need to be changed.

Last edited by Scimmia (2015-11-17 23:23:19)

#3 2015-11-18 01:43:21

CptnChristo

Re: [SOLVED] File conflict: alsa-utils and bacula-bat; File bug?

Thanks!

I've directed a comment in the AUR toward bacula notifying them of the conflict.

Marked as solved.

Last edited by CptnChristo (2015-11-18 01:44:01)

Board footer