You are not logged in.

#1 2015-07-14 14:10:15

thisischrys

Sickrage permissions

I've installed https://aur4.archlinux.org/packages/sickrage-git/ which runs as it's own user.
I want it to be able to access my home folder, so I added it to group users and restarted it. However I keep getting
2015-07-14 15:33:32 WARNING  Thread-15 :: Unable to open /home/chris: OSError(13, 'Permission denied') / [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/home/chris' when I try to browse to it inside sickrage.
permissions on the folder are
drwx------ 1 chris  users 1190 Jul 14 16:06 chris
I'm a relative noob when it comes to permissions so I might be missing something obvious.

#2 2015-07-14 14:27:19

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Sickrage permissions

thisischrys wrote:
drwx------ 1 chris  users 1190 Jul 14 16:06 chris

Your permissions are providing full access to the owner (good), no access to the group (not what you wanted), and no access to the world (good). It would be very useful to learn about the "chmod" (and "chown") command to fix the problem.

...But I'll give you start. smile

chmod 770 /home/chris

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what "sickrage" is or if there are any security vulnerabilities. All I know is that the above "chmod" command will give full read / write / execute privileges to you and anyone else in the "users" group.

#3 2015-11-28 17:57:54

willemw

Re: Sickrage permissions

Yes, I know this is an old thread. However, for reference:

Instead of opening access to your home folder and adding sickrage to 'users', you could do the opposite:

Configure sickrage to download files somewhere outside your home folder. Then add your user to the 'sickrage' group and create the download folder:

# gpasswd -a <user> sickrage                                                             

Reboot.                                                                                      

# mkdir <path-to-sickrage-download-folder>
# chown sickrage:sickrage <path-to-sickrage-download-folder>
# chmod ug+rwx <path-to-sickrage-download-folder>

Sickrage has a special feature: it will copy the file permissions of the parent folder when creating a download file or folder. That means you don't have to repeat the 'chmod' command above for newly downloaded files or folders.

You can make a symlink from inside your home folder to the sickrage download folder, if you still want to access those sickage files from inside your home folder.

BTW, users belonging to group 'users' is not recommended anymore.

Last edited by willemw (2015-11-29 07:42:39)

Board footer