You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-28 03:57:12

SeaIsland

Errors everytime i startx regarding graphics card i don't use.

Hello everyone.

I finished a fresh installation of Arch Linux earlier today. Everything is working fine except for an error i seem to be getting once i startx.

The error is as following:

[drm:radeon_pm_late_init [radeon]] *ERROR* failed to create device file for dpm state
[drm:radeon_pm_late_init [radeon]] *ERROR* failed to create device file for dpm state
[drm:radeon_pm_late_init [radeon]] *ERROR* failed to create device file for power profile
[drm:radeon_pm_late_init [radeon]] *ERROR* failed to create device file for power method

I briefly see the error until everything starts with x. However i managed to get the exact message from the log.

Something to note. I have a Radeon card. However, it is my secondary card, and is not supposed to run unless i switch to it (I haven't been able to succesfully switch back and forward between GFX cards since i switched to Linux, but that is a completely different issue right now).

My first card, which is Intel should be the only card being used. And by the output of this, it looks like it is:

$lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0a16] (rev 0b) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

I'm not sure i understand why this is happening as when i used to run Arch in the past, i had not experienced this.

If there is any more information i can provide that would be of use, please ask.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#2 2015-11-28 19:33:42

M1CK431

Re: Errors everytime i startx regarding graphics card i don't use.

Hello,

Same thing here with my HP Pavilion dv6-6005sf.
Archlinux fresh install.
Hybrid graphics (Intel/AMD)
Both opensource drivers install (xf86-video-[ati|intel])

I don't know if it's related to this error messages but I can't set my backlight level with KDE (but change the value in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness works).

#3 2015-11-28 19:55:32

SeaIsland

Re: Errors everytime i startx regarding graphics card i don't use.

M1CK431 wrote:

Hello,

Same thing here with my HP Pavilion dv6-6005sf.
Archlinux fresh install.
Hybrid graphics (Intel/AMD)
Both opensource drivers install (xf86-video-[ati|intel])

I don't know if it's related to this error messages but I can't set my backlight level with KDE (but change the value in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness works).

Hey there.

I'm running a Lenovo laptop with hybrid intel/ati. I only have the intel open source driver installed.

Out of curiosity, by any chance do you know if both of your graphics cards are running at the same time? Or is it just your intel one?
Back when i was looking for ways to be able to switch between hybrid graphics, i had heard of some people having the trouble of both of their cards running at the same time. For me, it is only the Intel one that seems to be running.

I'm unsure if the backlight thing is related. It could be, although i think it's unlikely. If i understand you correctly, i assume you mean that you are unable to change backlight using the Fn keybind, and can only change it manually through that file? I'm not using a desktop environment, but to get backlight working properly on my end, i use xorg-xbacklight and put these commands into my window manager (i3) config.

bindsym XF86MonBrightnessUp exec --no-startup-id xbacklight -inc 10
bindsym XF86MonBrightnessDown exec --no-startup-id xbacklight -dec 10

Maybe something like that could work for you with one of the keybinding packages? I'm not too sure, my knowledge of KDE is limited. However, i was using it a few months ago, and backlight seemed to work okay for me out of the box, this was on openSuse though.

Board footer