You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-07 14:15:49

loris

rebuild not giving same results

Should I not be able to do makepkg -s with a package loaded with abs and get exactly the same binary functionality as a package downloaded using pacman -S?

My case is that audacity has recently broken and other postings point to changes in wxgtk2.8 from warnings to fatal errors. So, I used abs to get the source and before fiddling with it at all, tried to re-build and install. This all worked, but now the audacity dies silently rather than spitting out some error messages first - clearly my re-built wxgtk libraries are not the same as the ones from extra yet they both say they are version  2.8.12.1-3

Have I misunderstood, and if not, what else can I try?

#2 2015-12-07 16:00:59

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: rebuild not giving same results

loris wrote:

Should I not be able to do makepkg -s with a package loaded with abs and get exactly the same binary functionality as a package downloaded using pacman -S?

No.

loris wrote:

My case is that audacity has recently broken and other postings point to changes in wxgtk2.8 from warnings to fatal errors.

Those warnings are meaningless, which is why it's still dying.

Last edited by Scimmia (2015-12-07 16:02:19)

#3 2015-12-08 08:34:59

loris

[SOLVED] audacity is not crashing because of wxgtk incompatibility. Solution is to remove old ~/.audacity-data.

However, I'd still love to understand why re-building an unmodified package gave different results to that produced by the pre-compiled version. I can see that I might have a newer version of gcc etc than the packager, so the binary files might not be totally identical, but surely functionality should be identical?

#4 2015-12-08 09:19:04

Allan
Pacman
Website

You have different packages on your system than the build root did.

Board footer