You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-10 22:51:11

alanxoc3

Arch chroot other distros...

So, I just happened to come across something called "crouton." It basically uses Chromium OS and is able to chroot into Ubuntu, or possibly other Linux distros. Does anyone know of any way to use arch and dual boot chromium os by chrooting. Or even a way to chroot into other distros from arch?

#2 2015-09-10 23:01:23

circleface

Re: Arch chroot other distros...

chroot is just a command.  It should work on just about any linux os, unless I don't understand your question.

man chroot

#3 2015-09-10 23:04:11

ewaller
Administrator

Well, it is not dual booting.   But, you chroot just as you would with Arch. 
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ch … ing_chroot
Here are  articles on how to chroot from an existing disto into Genroo
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Chroot
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:X86/Chroot_Guide

The idea is, using a running kernel, you set up a new directory to act as a root.  You then mount under that directory all the other file systems you will need.  For virtual file systems. mirror the ones on the existing kernel.
Then, you change to that new root  (Hence, the chroot) and launch a shell.   When that shell exits, you are back in the original environment.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2015-09-10 23:05:19

Proinsias

No idea about chromium os but chroot works fine between different distros, at least it's been working fine for me back and forth between gentoo and arch for a while.

edit: doh, too slow

Last edited by Proinsias (2015-09-10 23:05:52)

#5 2015-12-12 08:50:45

Archforum101

Chromium ... probably Google Inc's open source Chrome OS equiv. Kinda like Chromium browser vs Chrome me thinks.

As moderator already said, chroot is a command, here is a good how to on the subject.

Xaos52 is an uber knowledgeable gnu/nixer, have much respect for him and though never met, consider him a friend. I've used that tute multiple times to save a gnu/nix install.

While he's specfically covering reinstalling grub2 ( legacy) to sda in the how 2, the only limit to employing that is your imagination ( and common sense), I've saved many a gnu/nix install with that information, using many different live media.

You'll see me through-out it too, username there is CBizgreat! Remember using a live Arch iso to salvage a borked OS one time.

Edit: Nope, was a Linux Mint 10, live media to save an Arch install. Longgggg ago n far awayyyyy.

In other words you don't need Chromium OS to chroot and recover an OS you somehow screwed up. Just employ chroot period and the Arch wiki beginners guide has a section on how to chroot an Arch install during OS installation, when you're setting it up via live media.

Last edited by Archforum101 (2015-12-12 09:14:00)

Board footer