You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-11 12:32:04

achievedismal

A new KDE Plasma 5.5 bug or something I did I do wrong?

I have recently installed Arch (just before Plasma 5.5 was released) and since upgrading to Plasma 5.5 I have noticed a small issue:  When I open a new window, the window decoration appears before the window contents.  See this short video I uploaded to show the issue: link.  This bug wasn't present on the previous Plasma desktop version (5.4.3?).  I also checked to see if the issue was specific to my laptop hardware, but my desktop PC exhibits the same issue.

I had a look on the arch forums / wiki to see if there was a workaround for this issue, but there doesn't appear to be any.  I also had a look on the KDE bug tracker and no one seems to have reported this issue (as far as I could tell).  So I just wanted to know if anyone else has this issue (and knows how to fix it) or whether I should report it as an Arch bug or an upstream bug (the latter seems to be more likely cause)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by achievedismal (2015-12-11 21:59:19)

#2 2015-12-11 14:39:02

Xabre

Re: A new KDE Plasma 5.5 bug or something I did I do wrong?

That doesn't look like Plasma bug, but Kwin effect acting odd. Try disabling Kwin effects like Glide and similar till you find which one is causing that.

#3 2015-12-11 15:50:54

achievedismal

Xabre wrote:

That doesn't look like Plasma bug, but Kwin effect acting odd. Try disabling Kwin effects like Glide and similar till you find which one is causing that.

Thanks for the reply Xabre, but I meant to say I had already tried that, sadly without any success.  The issue also was present before I made an tweaks (like turning on Glide).  Though technical if this was a problem with a particular effect, especially if it was a default one, then it would still be reasonable to report that as a bug to the KDE project too?

#4 2015-12-11 16:07:20

Xabre

It all depends on where the bug originated from. If you can rule out effects and Kwin/Plasma settings in general, next thing to check are graphics drivers.

#5 2015-12-11 16:16:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please chose a descriptive title for your thread.  Given the two options in your title, one should always start by assuming the latter.  But even if you were to know for sure "A new KDE Plasma 5.5 bug" would not be a helpful title, nor would "Something I did wrong".  Just describe the problem and you can attract the attention of those who are equipped to help, or you may attract the attention of others facing the same issue (if it is a bug).  As an added bonus, you'd be less likely to attract a confused moderator.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2015-12-11 21:42:02

achievedismal

Trilby wrote:

Please chose a descriptive title for your thread.  Given the two options in your title, one should always start by assuming the latter.  But even if you were to know for sure "A new KDE Plasma 5.5 bug" would not be a helpful title, nor would "Something I did wrong".  Just describe the problem and you can attract the attention of those who are equipped to help, or you may attract the attention of others facing the same issue (if it is a bug).  As an added bonus, you'd be less likely to attract a confused moderator.

Apologies, I will try to title subsequent new topic posts more clearly.

#7 2015-12-11 21:51:03

achievedismal

Xabre wrote:

It all depends on where the bug originated from. If you can rule out effects and Kwin/Plasma settings in general, next thing to check are graphics drivers.

I presumed it wasn't hardware / graphics related because a) it has happened on multiple machines with different graphics (ATI and Intel) and b) Previously Plasma 5.4.3 had worked fine.  I would be curious to know whether you are running KDE Plasma desktop 5.5 under Arch and whether it is working fine for you?  Also, I am not sure how I would go about checking to see whether my graphics drivers were working correctly.

#8 2015-12-12 01:33:37

Xabre

I have been running Plasma 5.5 for a while now, and I do have a few glitches, but nothing too annoying. Like, notifications usually appear in the bottom right corner of the screen, except that sometimes they decide to shift to the left, for no reason at all. Small glitches like that, but nothing I would call a showstopper.

Oh, right, graphics driver. Anything fun in ~/.xsession-errors, or journal?

Last edited by Xabre (2015-12-12 01:35:27)

#9 2015-12-12 14:38:33

achievedismal

There is quite a lot in ~/.xsession-errors but I am not sure which (if any) of the lines are relevant and what I would be looking for in it to debug a problem like this.  I also posted on this issue on  the KDE subreddit and others seem to be having the same problem with Intel and Radeon graphics (both of which I am using) - link

Last edited by achievedismal (2015-12-12 14:38:51)

#10 2015-12-14 09:09:02

achievedismal

The other day I created a bug report for this - seems it is an issue with Qt.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=356562

Board footer