You are not logged in.

#26 2013-10-20 17:38:49

Unia
Website

Re: Gcolor3 - a simple color chooser dialog in GTK3, much alike gcolor2.

Constructive criticism is always good, but in this case I don't think there is much that I can do.

Ununiform (is that a word?) header bar: I don't know how to solve this. I am aware of the buttons being uneven in height, but that's because the buttons on the left are from the GtkStackSwitcher and the buttons on the right are default GtkButtons. I don't know where the difference in height comes from. If there is anything else that looks off, please provide a screenshot as it can be that your theme is not compatible with GTK 3.10. Using icons instead of text is a no-go, especially with GTK 3.10 that removed some option to provide this. (and even if it was possible, I'd prefer to stick to GTK defaults for a uniform look between GTK applications.).

I can not change the rgb spin buttons, that whole interface is a single, pre-made widget. (that, frankly, is deprecated and I'm not sure how long I'll be able to use it)

What language do you use? If you have suggestions or improvements for an already existing translation, I would be happy to merge them. (I'm only seeing the English and Dutch translation myself, so...). If you use a language that hasn't been translated yet, feel free to do this wink Instructions are available at GitHub.

I hope to have answered most of your queries!

EDIT: and if you really can't stand the new look, version 1.0 is still available and should work without issues wink

Last edited by Unia (2013-10-20 17:39:38)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#27 2013-10-20 18:32:54

ooo

Unia wrote:

Ununiform (is that a word?)

probably not, but I think you got my point big_smile
apart from the buttons being uneven in height, what bugs me is that there's no spacing between the buttons and window title, or whatever you should call it, unless you change the window size, which I don't like either because the window is already too wide for my taste.

My system is English language, and I'm using Numix theme from git which works fine with gtk 3.10. I already removed the latest version before I could take a screenshot but I'm quite sure it renders correctly in my system.

I could do a finnish translation some time if I got inspired, although translating english to finnish is pretty annoying since they are so different languages, and you easily end up with grammatically bad language, but we'll see. There aren't too many lines to translate anyway.

I installed the 1.0 version and like the layout much better, thanks for the tip

Unia wrote:

I can not change the rgb spin buttons, that whole interface is a single, pre-made widget. (that, frankly, is deprecated and I'm not sure how long I'll be able to use it)

I see, apparently they are the same in v1.0. Anyway if you end up redesigning the color chooser widget, keep in mind that the rgb spin buttons could be a bit thinner smile

thanks again, and sorry about the nitpicking smile

#28 2013-10-20 19:19:13

Unia
Website

Here is what I have running, also using the Numix theme:
21-10-2013.png

I see how you feel the window looks too cluttered. I can remove the subtitle, if that would make it better for you?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#29 2013-10-20 20:30:35

ooo

Unia wrote:

Here is what I have running, also using the Numix theme:
http://www.zimagez.com/avatar/21-10-2013.png

yep, mine looks pretty much the same

Unia wrote:

I see how you feel the window looks too cluttered. I can remove the subtitle, if that would make it better for you?

first of all I don't want to be telling how you should build you software or anything, but if you're genuinely interested on my opinion, I can suggest some things..

removing the bottom text could make it less cluttered. In fact, none of the gnome applications that utilize that type of top-bar design has the application name anywhere, so imho the whole title could be removed altogether. That would even make it more consistent with rest of the gnome applications if that's what you're after.

If you removed the title completely, I'd suggest similar design to what gnome-system-monitor is using: the 'color chooser/saved colors' buttons centered, and save/about buttons replaced left next to close button, but text replaced with icons. That would look uncluttered and be in sync with gnome stuff.

screenshot showing both in comparison:
screenshotfrom2013-10-20231746.png

other thing that seems slightly odd, is that even though the new version looks like one of the client side decorated gnome applications, with close button and everything, It is not actually client side decorated. I see you're on some tiling wm so you don't see this, but I'm using openbox and it draws window decorations around the gcolor3 window.

#30 2013-10-20 20:35:16

Unia
Website

I just noticed those borders around gcolor3 in your screenshot, indeed. Strange, I will look into that. I will also look into removing the titles, you made a valid point about those other GNOME applications. After that, we will see about the other options you suggested wink

#31 2013-10-21 21:37:29

Unia
Website

I've had some time to work on Gcolor3 tonight and so far, came up with this:

22-10-2013.png

I'd like to hear some opinions on whether or not this is an improvement to Gcolor3!

EDIT: Client Side Decorations have now been enabled. You can pull the new code from GitHub if you are dying to see this feature wink

Last edited by Unia (2013-10-21 22:06:19)

#32 2013-10-22 01:04:48

ooo

Unia wrote:

I've had some time to work on Gcolor3 tonight and so far, came up with this:

http://www.zimagez.com/avatar/22-10-2013.png

I'd like to hear some opinions on whether or not this is an improvement to Gcolor3!

imho, it looks better than previous version.

the stack buttons are still shorter than others but I think that's inevitable (and not such a big deal). looks like in gnome-system-monitor they've set icon size to 1 on the buttons, supposedly to minimize this effect.

Unia wrote:

EDIT: Client Side Decorations have now been enabled. You can pull the new code from GitHub if you are dying to see this feature wink

tested this, and it's still not client decorated.

the window is now undecorated, but that is different from client side decorations. for example, you cant move the gcolor3 window by dragging it from the header/titlebar. client side decorated windows also get window borders in openbox, where undecorated window doesn't:
screenshotfrom2013-10-22020221.png

I looked around and I think you need to use gtk-window-set-titlebar() instead of _set_decorated(), and set the headerbar widget as new titlebar.

#33 2013-10-22 01:11:59

ewaller
Administrator

Unia wrote:

Nonuniform is probably the word for which you search.  As a monolingual person, I am astounded at how well nonnative English speakers do on the forums.  Kudos.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#34 2013-10-22 05:17:45

orschiro
Website

Terrible last update. I am on Cinnamon and having no window decoration means I cannot drag the window anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/Fv6ItT8.png

#35 2013-10-22 11:12:23

Unia
Website

ewaller wrote:
Unia wrote:

Nonuniform is probably the word for which you search.  As a monolingual person, I am astounded at how well nonnative English speakers do on the forums.  Kudos.

Cheers! smile

orschiro wrote:

Terrible last update. I am on Cinnamon and having no window decoration means I cannot drag the window anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/Fv6ItT8.png

Sorry, this was unintended. I grabbed the wrong function trying to enable CSD tongue

ooo wrote:

imho, it looks better than previous version.

the stack buttons are still shorter than others but I think that's inevitable (and not such a big deal). looks like in gnome-system-monitor they've set icon size to 1 on the buttons, supposedly to minimize this effect.

I'm already using the smallest size possible, so indeed it's inevitable to have these two buttons larger.

ooo wrote:

the window is now undecorated, but that is different from client side decorations. for example, you cant move the gcolor3 window by dragging it from the header/titlebar. client side decorated windows also get window borders in openbox, where undecorated window doesn't:
http://en.zimagez.com/avatar/screenshotfrom2013-10-22020221.png

I looked around and I think you need to use gtk-window-set-titlebar() instead of _set_decorated(), and set the headerbar widget as new titlebar.

Thanks for the catch, this should indeed work! The new UI will be up on GitHub after I post this, please update and test wink

#36 2013-10-22 11:42:57

OK100

The new version has semi-transparent window border in dwm:
2013_10_22_133800_1366x768_scrot.png
Is it intended?

#37 2013-10-22 12:38:10

Unia
Website

^ Sadly that is a side-effect of the Client Side Decorations. Nautilus also suffers from this. I'm not sure where we should report this bug, AFAIK there isn't much Xlib can do to fix this which would indicate that the fault is at the GNOME side.

#38 2013-10-24 16:39:36

ooo

Unia wrote:

^ Sadly that is a side-effect of the Client Side Decorations. Nautilus also suffers from this. I'm not sure where we should report this bug, AFAIK there isn't much Xlib can do to fix this which would indicate that the fault is at the GNOME side.

I've noticed that client side decorated windows are handled as argb windows by openbox (there's a small glitch with argb windows and openbox when using compton), so I'm guessing that could cause weird issues in other wms as well.

gcolor3 now works fine for me though, and the new ui design looks nice and clean smile

Last edited by ooo (2013-10-24 17:23:26)

#39 2013-10-25 11:28:14

Unia
Website

Pushed stable version 1.2.1 with the new UI.

#40 2013-12-19 12:25:13

simargl
Website

I've tried Gcolor3 and have some suggestions,

First two buttons in headerbar or right side, save and about, are larger than stack switcher on left, and to make them equal in Vala you would add something like (don't know about C)

button_save.valign = Gtk.Align.CENTER;

And second suggestion, with double click on one of saved color items in second slide, I think it's expected program to switch to first stack (color selector)

Last edited by simargl (2013-12-19 13:56:09)

#41 2013-12-19 21:06:18

Unia
Website

simargl wrote:

I've tried Gcolor3 and have some suggestions,

First two buttons in headerbar or right side, save and about, are larger than stack switcher on left, and to make them equal in Vala you would add something like (don't know about C)

button_save.valign = Gtk.Align.CENTER;

I just tried this (gtk_widget_set_valign), but it does not affect the buttons.

simargl wrote:

And second suggestion, with double click on one of saved color items in second slide, I think it's expected program to switch to first stack (color selector)

How is this expected behaviour? To me, it feels very unnatural to do this. Can you elaborate on why you think this is expected behaviour?

Thanks for your suggestions.

#42 2015-09-06 14:40:26

Unia
Website

Finally finished the complete rewrite. You can find the announcement with an elaborate changelog here

#43 2015-09-10 05:57:09

likytau

I usually don't use this type of app -- instead, I use either something that has it built in, Like inkscape or GIMP, or a more ambitious app for palette building (GPick). That said, I thought I'd try it out anyway, I may have a use for it in relation to GrafX2.

Here are my comments:

* The fact that 'Palette' brings up the color selector is confusing. So is the fact that 'Saved colors' brings up the palette.
  To back this up, I reference the fact that applications such as GIMP, Krita, Grafx2, MTPaint etc. consistently refer to an arranged/curated set of colors as a 'palette'. Inkscape is the only graphic application I know of that doesn't (it uses the word 'swatch' instead).

* I would suggest renaming the 'saved colors' button to 'Palette'. I'm very confident that will be an improvement, but in any case the important idea I want to emphasize here is that 'Palette' and 'Saved colors' are two different ways of saying the same thing; so any change that fixes the names so they don't refer to the same concept will be an improvement.

* I would suggest renaming the button that is currently labelled 'Palette' to either 'Chooser' or 'Selector'. Given GTK's choice of class names 'GTKColorChooser*', I think you can safely conclude they think 'Chooser' is an accurate word for this task.

* The interface for adding colors to the palette is pretty good, I like that you can simply type in a name and press enter to add it.

* Opacity transitions give the interface a nice feel, and I like how small the interface is vertically.

* When I click the X, use the 'Quit' menu item,  or use my WM's shortcut to close GColor3, it crashes with 'segmentation fault (core dumped)  gcolor3'. I think it is instead supposed to output the last selected color? Well, this seems like a serious issue, in any case. EDIT: FIXED by updating gtk3-git.

EDIT:
* I was expecting the selected color to be output on stdout, but it isn't. How do you 'get' the selected color, for eg. a script calling gcolor3?

Last edited by likytau (2015-09-11 00:51:37)

#44 2015-09-11 10:35:41

Unia
Website

Thank you for your feedback! smile

likytau wrote:

* The fact that 'Palette' brings up the color selector is confusing. So is the fact that 'Saved colors' brings up the palette.
  To back this up, I reference the fact that applications such as GIMP, Krita, Grafx2, MTPaint etc. consistently refer to an arranged/curated set of colors as a 'palette'. Inkscape is the only graphic application I know of that doesn't (it uses the word 'swatch' instead).

* I would suggest renaming the 'saved colors' button to 'Palette'. I'm very confident that will be an improvement, but in any case the important idea I want to emphasize here is that 'Palette' and 'Saved colors' are two different ways of saying the same thing; so any change that fixes the names so they don't refer to the same concept will be an improvement.

* I would suggest renaming the button that is currently labelled 'Palette' to either 'Chooser' or 'Selector'. Given GTK's choice of class names 'GTKColorChooser*', I think you can safely conclude they think 'Chooser' is an accurate word for this task.

This is an interesting issue. I'm not a native speaker (really not an excuse since we have the same wordings in Dutch tongue) but in my understanding, the definition of "palette" is something like this:

A palette is a range of colors. It is also the board that artists use to hold and mix paint.

Isn't the color wheel therefore a palette?

likytau wrote:

* When I click the X, use the 'Quit' menu item,  or use my WM's shortcut to close GColor3, it crashes with 'segmentation fault (core dumped)  gcolor3'. I think it is instead supposed to output the last selected color? Well, this seems like a serious issue, in any case. EDIT: FIXED by updating gtk3-git.

Might I ask why you are running the git version? Just out of interest.

likytau wrote:

* I was expecting the selected color to be output on stdout, but it isn't. How do you 'get' the selected color, for eg. a script calling gcolor3?

Interesting idea. I will think it over for a while and let you know if I will implement it! It shouldn't be too hard and I don't think it will conflict with anything...

#45 2015-09-11 11:13:27

likytau

Unia wrote:

Thank you for your feedback! smile

This is an interesting issue. I'm not a native speaker (really not an excuse since we have the same wordings in Dutch tongue) but in my understanding, the definition of "palette" is something like this:

A palette is a range of colors. It is also the board that artists use to hold and mix paint.

Isn't the color wheel therefore a palette?

That is technically true. But the palette (ie. set of saved colors) is also a palette, so as I said, it creates a situation where I click on Palette and get a .. color selector. So what I am saying is, other graphics programs consistently use Palette in this way, and do not use Palette in reference to color selector/ changer. Consequently, as a native English speaker, my expectation is that when I click on something labelled Palette, it will relate to a discrete set of colors, rather than a color selector.  Reading the words 'Palette' and 'Saved Colors' next to each other is like someone saying to me "On the left side of this room, I store my bike. And on the right side, that's where I keep my bicycle".

likytau wrote:

Might I ask why you are running the git version? Just out of interest.

Generally it's my preference to run devel versions when possible, unless the software is particularly unstable; especially regarding graphics software; I find it tends to fix more problems than it creates. In the case of GTK, some other things like GIMP 2.9 also depend on versions of GTK3 that are ahead of what is available in [community]

likytau wrote:

Interesting idea. I will think it over for a while and let you know if I will implement it! It shouldn't be too hard and I don't think it will conflict with anything...

That's good to hear smile

Last edited by likytau (2015-09-11 11:20:29)

#46 2015-09-11 16:20:33

Unia
Website

likytau wrote:

Reading the words 'Palette' and 'Saved Colors' next to each other is like someone saying to me "On the left side of this room, I store my bike. And on the right side, that's where I keep my bicycle".

Alright, I get it smile I will change it in the course of the weekend.

#47 2015-10-01 12:22:44

Unia
Website

Version 2.1 is out: https://github.com/Unia/gcolor3/releases/tag/v2.1

This releases fixes an important issue, renames palette to picker and Gcolor3 now outputs the last selected color's hex to stdout.

#48 2015-12-14 11:08:41

tanyuan

Great work!

It would be nice to rename saved colors!

#49 2015-12-14 15:18:39

Unia
Website

tanyuan wrote:

It would be nice to rename saved colors!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have created an issue here to track it. Don't expect anything soon, however.

#50 2016-08-20 15:12:30

Unia
Website

I have just released version 2.2. Please see the release notes for more information. Both AUR packages have been updated.

Note that there has been a breaking change in regards to the location of the configuration file, it has been moved from `~/.rgb.ini` to `$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/gcolor3/config.ini`. To update, simply move the file to the new location.

Board footer