You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-15 08:29:42

lilmike

server hangs for about 4 minutes after shutdown, before coming back up

Hi,
I have a server on chunkhost, and when I reboot, it shuts down, hangs for about 4-4.5 minutes, then comes back up.
I can't seem to find anything to cause this, as no journal info is recorded between the time that it says 'Reboot' and 'Journal started...' or  similar.
If interested, I've posted a snippet of sudo journalctl -n...

http://codepad.org/Du71JrDy

Thanks,
-Michael.

#2 2015-12-15 09:16:06

Silkworm205

Re: server hangs for about 4 minutes after shutdown, before coming back up

Looks like this is the issue you're facing. This thread should give you some good further information, as the op has the same issue and tracks down the systemd unit at fault.

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

#3 2015-12-15 10:21:18

lilmike

Hi,
That was very helpful. I got the following output, though I can't  quite figure out what all of it means. I gather the flushing of journals is causing a problem, though there's some others that look slightly to suspiciously long too.
http://codepad.org/KgAA6bm

Also of note, sometimes when I restart or boot my server, I get an email from munin to the effect:

Alert for mtserver
mtserver :: mtserver :: Disk latency per device :: Average latency for /dev/xvda1
    WARNINGs: Write IO Wait time is 6.87 (outside range [0:3]).
    OKs: Read IO Wait time is 0.09.

Thanks,
-Michael.

#4 2015-12-15 11:51:52

Silkworm205

Your link 404's when I try to access it. Did you copy it correctly?
As for the latency warning, it takes a long time for the kernel to access the disk. Is this a VPS, or shared server of some kind?
Edit - Googled chunkhost, it certainly looks like a VPS. I'm not sure if this warning is generated because your virtual server is being detected as using too much disk I/O or because the real server is using too much. The program iotop will help you find any background tasks taking up disk usage.

Last edited by Silkworm205 (2015-12-15 12:07:21)

I think I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Board footer