You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-20 08:33:46

RankoKohime
Website

Strange behavior with encfs on one particular disk

I have a series of thumb drives I use for offsite backups.  They are formatted with btrfs, (so I can scrub and hopefully detect bitrot), and the contents are all encrypted with encfs.  I mount the encfs, and use Unison to sync the specific files I want backed up.

On just one of these drives I'm having a weird issue.  I mount the encfs, and all the files are available.  I can "cd" into the decrypted mount point, and do "ls -la", and everything is there.  However, when I run Unison, the GTK version will crash after about 5 seconds of scanning, and the terminal version will vomit errors on very nearly every file to be synced.

error            home/ranko/backup/foo  
Error in digesting /home/ranko/backup/foo:
Input/output error

I then do "ls -la" in the decrypted mount, and it's empty, but "mount" still shows the encfs to be mounted, I can cd into directories in the decrypted mount, (in which "ls -la" still produces no output) but trying to open files in vi results in "Permission Denied" to be displayed, for both the mounting user and root.

Unmounting and remounting the encfs restores access, btrfs scrub comes back clean, and I can manually copy files over to the drive.

#2 2015-12-20 10:49:25

RankoKohime
Website

Re: Strange behavior with encfs on one particular disk

Unison does allow me to attempt to sync the folders, giving me a new error in the process:

error            home/ranko/bar  
Error in digesting /home/ranko/backup/bar:
/home/ranko/backup/bar: Too many open files

Additionally, after Unison has caused the directory to appear empty, if I leave it alone for a period of time, (without unmounting the encfs) it will restore itself, and "ls -la" shows files again, and they can be opened.

Last edited by RankoKohime (2015-12-20 10:51:53)

Board footer