You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-27 13:57:18

gdm_problem

[SOLVED]Arch Linux as Dual-Boot with Windows 10 in UEFI-Mode

Hello there,
I currently have Windows 10 x64 in UEFI-Mode (4 Partitions).

dev/sda (GPT-Partitiontable)
   |
    -------> sda1 : Windows recovery Environment
   |
    -------> sda2: EFI System
   |
    -------> sda3: Microsoft reserved
   |
    -------> sda4: Microsoft Basic data
Free space (270 G)

As well as the following BIOS-Options:
  * UEFI Mode
I can enable Legacy-Support, and thus Switch between Legacy-first/UEFI-first.

I want Arch on an Ext4, and the bootloader (equally if Win-bootloader or a Linux-one) doesnt matter.
I would want 2 additional partitions:

/dev/sda (GPT)
   |
    -------> sda5: Linux File System (Ext4)
   |
    -------> sda6: Linux Swap

Although I read the beginners-guide/Dual-Boot article, I dont know how to continue roll.
For instance, I don't know if ist right to modify the Partition-table, but cfdisk Needs to to that in order to create new partitions.
Or, I don't know where I should install a new bootloader, on a new Partition, or overriding an exitistin one etc...
Please help me

Regards,
                ~gm_problem

Last edited by gdm_problem (2015-12-28 14:20:59)

#2 2015-12-27 16:00:22

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED]Arch Linux as Dual-Boot with Windows 10 in UEFI-Mode

In your other two posts earlier this month you seemed to have a working system.  Now  you are back to a Windows 10 system.  What happened?

As your disk has EFI already, I suggest you leave it that way.  You need to shrink one of your volumes to make room on the disk.  You then need to create your two new partitions.  You then need to format them.  You then need to install Arch Linux on them.  You then need to install a boot loader.  Systemd-boot is well supported.  All of this is in the Wiki.  Work through the beginner's guide.  If you have any problems, search the forums for threads where the same issue has been solved.  If you still have problems, read the article in my signature, then post a question.  When you do so, tell us what you are trying to do, the specific commands you entered, and the specific output from those commands.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-12-28 12:22:47

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

gdm_problem wrote:

I don't know if ist right to modify the Partition-table, but cfdisk Needs to to that in order to create new partitions.

*Do not* change the partition table type, non-GPT UEFI support is firmware-dependent and such a conversion would break your Windows system anyway.

Use gdisk instead if you are working with a GPT disk.

#4 2015-12-28 14:27:26

gdm_problem

In your other two posts earlier this month you seemed to have a working system.  Now  you are back to a Windows 10 system.  What happened?

I had a working Arch Installation, and I wanted to reinstall Windows (important files are backed up), because it was installed, but I was not able to boot into Win cause I messed up the Win-Bootloader.
In a MSDN-article, they showed this, and I had to select a disk. I selected the disk, and I selected only the Win-Partition, but the formatiing-command only payed Attention to the selected disk....Yeah, so my Arch was uninstalled, too... sad.

Nevertheless, thanks for your help, I got it working right now.
Btw, cfdisk does Support gtp!, I used it.

#5 2015-12-28 16:43:23

satanselbow

gdm_problem wrote:

Nevertheless, thanks for your help, I got it working right now.
Btw, cfdisk does Support gtp!, I used it.

You have what working? Your dualboot?

#6 2015-12-28 22:42:04

gdm_problem

Yep, the dual-boot works.

Board footer