You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-06 19:09:26

rustleg

Rejected forum registration captcha

I had to fumble around a lot to get through the captcha to allow me to register for the forum. I quickly submitted the command to my Linux terminal (not Arch) and came up with what proved eventually to be the correct answer but it was rejected. After trying different alternatives - wondering whether Arch's ISO date week was strange or whether uname gave some weird answer I came across a Ubuntu forum post where the poster said he had to try the correct answer 20 times to get it to be accepted. I was sceptical but tried it again and whaddyouknow - it worked this time.

So this is just a heads up for the board gurus that for some reason the system can reject the correct answer and possibly put off possible new Archers. Your captcha doesn't require people to be running Arch so perhaps you need to think again about what you need a real person to prove.

#2 2015-09-06 19:14:37

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Rejected forum registration captcha

Yeah, it is very sensitive to having date, time and timezone set correctly.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-09-06 19:42:35

rustleg

No, it's not that I had to experiment with possible different answers, it rejected an answer that it later accepted.

#4 2015-09-06 20:02:31

ewaller
Administrator

An hour later?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2015-09-06 20:24:55

rustleg

Maybe it went over the hour, but it was around 7pm Sunday in the UK. According to man date "%V is ISO week number, with Monday as first day of week (01..53)" and the result was 36. So it would have to have given a result of 35 the first time if it accepted 36 later. Can't see how the server thought it was the previous week. What am I missing?

#6 2015-09-07 15:37:19

hoxaen
Website

I can also confirm this. I entered the command in Arch, first time it rejected my answer. I put in the same answer less then 2 minutes later (not reentering the command in the terminal, just pasting a second time), and it accepted it. Very strange.

#7 2015-12-30 03:27:28

kenduron

me also, same answer worked just on a second try 1 minute later... if even one minute...

Board footer