You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-05 15:31:43

AndreasGB

[SOLVED] System fails unlocking of luks container at boot

Hi,

First, it might be important to tell you about the setup I am trying to get, because the issue might also be related to the connection of the parts.

I am using bcache at /dev/bcache0 (combining /dev/sdb3 and /dev/sdc to a cached device) which contains a luks container, which then contains my swap, root, and home volumes.

At the moment, there is no UEFI entry for grub, which is why I have to use UEFI Shell v2 to launch grub, but I decided to figure this out later.

Now when I try to boot, it fails and throws me into a shell, which requires me to enter

cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/bcache0 lvm

Then, I enter my password, the volume is being unlocked and I leave the shell using exit.

So, I guess setting up the encryption is where it breaks, and I read that I have to add to /etc/default/grub the following to get asked for a password and decrypting the disk automatically:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="cryptdevice=/dev/bcache0:lvm"

But journalctl tells me:

Dagger kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=113cbcb4-7869-4ded-81c0-c8f7ef26fe5e

So I opened the generated grub.cfg where it says in the menuentry I launch:

linux /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=113cbcb4-7869-4ded-81c0-c8f7ef26fe5e cryptdevice=/dev/bcache0:lvm

So I guess, the kernel for some reason never receives this parameter and thus might not decrypt the disk.

Could you please help me and / or point me in the right direction on how I could further diagnose what is going wrong?

Thank you very much,

AndreasGB

Last edited by AndreasGB (2016-01-05 23:37:16)

#2 2016-01-05 23:36:57

AndreasGB

Re: [SOLVED] System fails unlocking of luks container at boot

I solved the problem. The error was that in the running system, the boot partition was not mounted at /boot which lead to the fact that my changes never made it to the actual grub.cfg. Mounted it, created new grub.cfg, works now.

Board footer