You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-06 12:45:48

navi_se

[SOLVED] Archiso: custom file in future directories

From the wiki it is unclear whether it is possible and how to prepare folder in some other directory of the hierarchy. E.g. if one wanted to prepare a custom xinitrc file, should one run

mkdir /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
cp /path/to/customxinitrc/xinitrc /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

or whether one should put instead a dedicated line in one of the building script (which I guess amount to the above once X is installed, but I wouldn't know where to place it).

I would be happy to edit the wiki accordingly to clarify if you hint me on the right procedure.

Last edited by navi_se (2016-01-06 16:08:01)

#2 2016-01-06 13:46:33

olegabrielz

Re: [SOLVED] Archiso: custom file in future directories

If you want you can create xinitrc file from scratch. But in order to run startx, you need the xorg-xinit package installed. When installed the template file is /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc. Just copy and rename the file to ~/.xinitrc and configure it as you like smile

Edit: typo
Edit2: And yes, you can prepare folder structures if you want. But putting config files in the structure before you install packages who also put config files in the proper places, could overwrite the custom config files. So make sure to back them up before installing packages that places the same config file(s).
Edit3: xinitrc is a file. So if you want to create the folders you described (if it's already not there), just:
mkdir -p /etc/X11/xinit
Then copy the custom xinitrc to that folder.

Last edited by olegabrielz (2016-01-06 14:29:27)

Be aware of my Newbie Powers

#3 2016-01-06 15:35:12

navi_se

Re: [SOLVED] Archiso: custom file in future directories

Nope, sorry. Talking about archiso here. Files cannot be moved afterward (since changes to the future usb are never saved). Also, cannot be placed where packages will, likely, overwrite them. I believe the correct way is edit (following the wiki conventions)

~/archlive/airootfs/root/customize_airootfs.sh 

by adding, at the very end the line (I had a typo above)

cp ~/archlive/airootfs/etc/skel/xinitrc /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

Last edited by navi_se (2016-01-06 15:36:13)

Board footer