You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-02 12:56:08

jdarnold
Website

Display Grub menu

I'm playing around with grub.cfg (I know I know...) and was wondering if there is a way to display what the Grub boot menu will look like from the command line? Just to display the menu entries, even if I can't select anything. I'm sure it must be there, but I'm not having any luck finding it.

#2 2015-12-13 09:29:54

Archforum101

Re: Display Grub menu

Pretty much a necrobump due to dorkishness and boredom. "You know, you know" but you're doing it anyway ? grub.cfg last I bothered looking at it tells someone not to edit the file, in the file.

Edit: Perhaps unless you chmod the thing, n risk borking grub2 for no real benefit, when there are no doubt files specifically intended for such customizations instead.

It'll get over-written 1st time grub2 updates and as far as I know, the file has practically nothing to do with "how grub looks". Are theme packages for grub2 in the Arch repo's.

ie: "sudo pacman -Ss grub2 |grep themes" which are no doubt Arch oriented themes for grub2. Are also other gnu/nixy stuff out there, though haven't bothered messing with them. ie: grub-customizer, burg ... whatever.

Sounds like you need to google "arch wiki" +grub2. Never really cared what grub2's menu looks like, so haven't spent much time learning about how to customize it. Though being grub2, don't @ all doubt there's extensive documenation on the subject and the relevant files all over the interwebz.

Most likely, surely including in the Arch wiki. Sheesh practically everything else is covered in the Arch wiki, why da heck grub2 wouldn't be also ? Though even if it weren't, other distro's wiki's would point you in the direction of the relevant files to edit.

So jmo ... you need to google common sense things along the lines of "customizing grub2" or etc. The approved way to mod menu entries as far as I know n grub2 is the 40_custom file for starters.

Last edited by Archforum101 (2015-12-13 09:56:54)

#3 2016-01-08 05:10:57

chipmunkboogie

Re: Display Grub menu

jdarnold wrote:

I'm playing around with grub.cfg (I know I know...) and was wondering if there is a way to display what the Grub boot menu will look like from the command line? Just to display the menu entries, even if I can't select anything. I'm sure it must be there, but I'm not having any luck finding it.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0 … customizer

Board footer