You are not logged in.

#176 2015-11-22 22:47:51

genki

Re: Google Chromebook Pixel 2

Hmm, maybe the grub video mode thing might be good to add to the wiki then?

Yeah, I missed that part about the scripts at first too, but it does say in the wiki to go to the linked README for audio output/input. I can't say I'm sure what you mean about the video scripts though.

As for getting i3 better fonts, that sounds like something independent of the Chromebook Pixel, and more about font config in general in Arch Linux. Is there something making you feel it's Pixel-specific?

As for zram, hmm, I've never used it myself, but I can't imagine the need. The smallest amount of RAM a Chromebook Pixel 2 can have is 8 GB (which is what I have), and 8 GB is far more than enough so that one never has to worry about RAM. Unless you are doing some hardcore graphics-related work, I imagine. I wouldn't worry about it unless you find you are having RAM problems.

Last edited by genki (2015-11-22 22:48:41)

#177 2015-11-23 16:21:44

wulvyrn

Thanks for the reply.  I added the grub note to the wiki.  It may not be the prettiest addition.  It was my hope in going through this to document any unique things on the wiki as the Chromebook pixel is unique.  It was my understanding the wiki should provide everything for a basic installation.  Window managers, desktop environments, package management, etc. would be beyond the wiki.

#178 2015-11-26 00:35:58

wulvyrn

no sound coming out.  pavucontrol says sounds is playing and microphone is recording.  i used the sound.sh script on the linux-samus git page.  any ideas?  i am probably missing something simple.

#179 2015-11-26 01:40:47

wulvyrn

working audio as of this date.  this does not include the headphone jack. 

i had to follow notes on this page for working sound.
ref: https://gist.github.com/bendavis78/827089ff8f2a8d8975ee (for playback).

i used the microphone notes on the linux-samus page for a working microphone.

i have not gotten to the headphone jack.  i'll add notes to the wiki when i get my note done.

#180 2015-12-02 23:06:58

wulvyrn

after some testing, these are my sound notes for arch linux:
Sound

Install prerequistes

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio pulseaudio-alas pavucontrol alsa-utils acpid

Enable and start acpid

sudo systemctl enable acpid.service
sudo systemctl start acpid.service

Execute the sound script

cd linux-samus/scripts/setup
./sound.sh

set the default sink
pacmd set-default-sink 1

verify with
pactl info

the following commands will control sound

pactl set-sink-mute 1 toggle
pactl set-sink-volume 1 -2%
pactl set-sink-volume 1 +2%

note:  pavucontrol - need to set
playback to speakers
output - toggle to headphones and back to speakers
and sound should play.

Last edited by wulvyrn (2015-12-08 14:46:27)

#181 2015-12-17 02:09:01

hobn

So . . . I need a bit of time sensitive help guys. The short of it is that I need the output file of someone else on the new Pixel running this:

flashrom -p host -i GBB -r gbb

before my battery dies. All it does is read your firmware/ROM and put it in the file gbb in your current working directory, so you shouldn't need write protect disabled. And if you need the flashrom executable you can get it here: https://github.com/thehobn/ec/releases/ … 1/flashrom. It does need sudo to run so if you don't feel comfortable doing that you can try using flashrom-chromeos from the AUR or building it by yourself from source.

The backstory is that I was trying to flash GBB flags on Arch and now my samus doesn't charge. The set_gbb_flags.sh script on the current samus branch doesn't seem to be updated to use the new futility executable which consolidates tools such as gbb_utility which the script depends on. I only replaced one of the two calls to gbb_utility with futility the first time around and I suspect I flashed some incomplete firmware which includes the embedded controller code which at least controls some of the charging process. It's a theory, but the only other explanation is that my laptop or charger crapped out on me a few days after the SSD failing. I have the LS so it would be nice if the donor file is from an LS too but I doubt that matters. One from the old Pixel, link, probably wouldn't work so I need one from samus. Please help me out. I'll be watching this topic vigilantly so if you need anything else from me let me know. Meanwhile my Pixel will be on ice.

EDITS: Yes I am positive this is a problem with either the Pixel or its charger and not a power outlet, I have tried multiple that all work with other things and these are the same outlets I have been using. I even tried both USB type C ports.

Also I was running crossystem which threw errors as well, but I don't really see how that could have affected my charging capabilities. If I run it without arguments to print out flag info, most of the flags display "(error)" even with sudo. I also ran

crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1

to see what would happen and it gave out the error code 1.

Just now I tried flashing a freshly compiled ec.bin for the embedded controller but it didn't do anything. The file that I am requesting is 8192 while the ec.bin is only 256 so this doesn't rule anything out completely. I'm afraid to reboot in case I wiped the firmware for booting as well.

Several people on the Chromebook Pixel Google+ group are reporting the same problem with charging, all in the past day. The timing is peculiar but now I suppose I doubt this is anything I did or can fix.

I fixed it guys! I managed to extract the vanilla ec.bin from the recovery image and flashed that. If you don't want to jump through the extracting hoopla you can get it here: https://github.com/thehobn/ec/releases/ … d/1/ec.bin.

Unrelated, but does anyone know the default write protection ranges listed by

flashrom --wp-status
flashrom -p ec --wp-status

I think it's 0x00200000 for the first and 0x0001f800 for the ec but I'm not sure.

Last edited by hobn (2015-12-17 07:56:21)

#182 2015-12-20 10:06:47

lrvick

For those with SSD issues I did some research.

Found this recent patch for upgrading SSD firmware in ChromiumOS: https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom … 300.B%5E!/

Devices ships with firmware ver S9FM01.7 and after switching to Dev Channel in ChromeOS I confirmed this patch was applied and hdparm confirms  I am running 2.3 now.

I have yet to find a firmware changelog or a datasheet for our SUS151S364GD SSDs but latest firmware on SSDs is generally a good idea.

Also does anyone know is work being done to upstream the linux-samus patches?

#183 2015-12-21 00:10:08

hobn

Is that a confirmed fix or just something to try? It definitely looks promising though. Too bad I already sent my Pixel off for RMA.

Regarding all the charging problems, I think the root cause is some new commit to the EC firmware. It explains how it affected me along with those people on Google+ who were presumably all on dev, not stable. I had recompiled an ec.bin from latest source that day I had problems. And the fact that my lightbar, keyboard backlight, and fans still worked point away from an EC lacking any firmware at all. So again the fix to that seems to be to flash an older ec.bin, such as that from the recovery image. Although, does this mean people on dev need to have write protect disabled?

#184 2015-12-23 03:35:53

nnutter

Does anyone know how to get the touchpad to ignore taps while typing with the xf86-input-cmt driver?  I've tried many of the properties but have not been able to figure it out.

#185 2015-12-29 08:41:47

antonl1911

Hi, guys. Does any of you use Pixel as a workstation with external monitor/keyboard/mouse? I am successfully running mainline kernel on it, with 4.4-rc7 it seems the only minor problem is that keyboard backlight stays on.

Last edited by antonl1911 (2015-12-31 08:47:53)

#186 2016-01-04 22:13:26

hobn

You can tell the keyboard backlight to shut off with echo 0 > /sys/class/leds/chromeos::keyboardbacklight/brightness or something like that. Is sound support in the mainline now?

By the way Google has proved very accommodating with warranty replacements. If you're sitting around with a dead SSD or something thinking they won't replace it because you fiddled with write protect, think again.

#187 2016-01-10 23:31:02

antonl1911

Unfortunately, there is no such file on mainline kernel.
Don't know about internal sound, it's pretty crappy anyway, so I use EMU 0202 USB for sound.

#188 2016-01-12 02:53:36

wulvyrn

I upgraded my kernel and now the touchpad no longer works.  Any ideas?

#189 2016-01-12 05:38:28

hobn

Are you using raphael's? He was toying with some scripts relating to resetting the touchpad controller in the latest commits. I think he undid them so if you just fetch and rebuild it should sort itself out, if not revert to an earlier commit.

It's possible to disable the keyboard backlight in the embedded controller firmware if you really want it gone.

#190 2016-01-12 13:20:43

wulvyrn

I thought the touchpad should work with the stock kernel?

#191 2016-01-14 20:04:06

Ch0nG

Has anyone installed Arch to a USB 3.0 drive? I can get TAILS to boot via a USB 3.0 drive but Arch refuses to boot. I even modified grub to output to the console and only get a corrupt screen when booting to the USB.

#192 2016-01-14 20:12:17

hobn

The touchpad has indeed been working out of the box, since 4.1 or 4.2.

And yes, that's quite possible. USB 3.0 isn't the problem but without more details it would be hard to guess what is.

Has anyone taken a dremel or other such extreme measures to fix stripped screws on the bottom panel? I wonder if a single Pixel has been taken apart without a screw stripping.

#193 2016-01-15 00:46:15

Ch0nG

hobn wrote:

And yes, that's quite possible. USB 3.0 isn't the problem but without more details it would be hard to guess what is.

Has anyone taken a dremel or other such extreme measures to fix stripped screws on the bottom panel? I wonder if a single Pixel has been taken apart without a screw stripping.

That's good to hear. I followed the Installation Wiki with the only deviations being:

- Initial formatting of USB using dd.
- Created a BIOS Boot partition using gdisk. The first sector is at the beginning of the drive (as close as gdisk recommended) then put the size as +1M.
- Created a 200M partition for /boot. Set as Linux File System (8300 in gdisk). Also started as close to BIOS Boot as gdisk recommended.
- Remainder of drive set as Linux File System (8300 in gdisk). Same spacing as /boot.

Formatted /boot using:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2

Formatted / using:

mkfs.ext4 -O "^has_journal" /dev/sda3

Mounted /boot to /mnt/boot.
Mounted / to /mnt.

Edited mkinitcpio to add block right after udev on the Hooks line. Then ran:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Installed bootloader with:

grub-install --recheck --target=i386-pc /dev/sda
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Rebooted with umount -R /mnt and Reboot.

Put the USB in the Pixel and it doesn't show on the BIOS menu. Letting it sit results in "Booting from hard disk..." and screen corruption.

Last edited by Ch0nG (2016-01-15 01:43:02)

#194 2016-01-15 16:20:47

hobn

Try mounting /boot after /.

Regarding dremels, I "fixed" the two stripped screws I had with a 100 series with 420 cut-off. There was collateral damage but nothing serious. If I were to do it again I would get one of those workstations so that I could make more precise cuts, as the 420 is larger than need be.

Has anyone recovered a bricked Pixel before? I would love to hear how it was done. The Winbond BIOS chip has legs that look too small to clip onto.

#195 2016-01-16 01:39:46

Ch0nG

Thanks for the help. I re-did the USB, documenting step-by-step exactly what I did. Unfortunately the problem persists.

TL;DR: When booting with Ctrl-L the USB doesn't show in the BIOS. Pushing Esc says "Booting from hard disk..." and results in a corrupt screen. The drive is accessed (indicator light) briefly (<1 sec) then rapidly (~1 second) and that's it.

Here is what I did:

Booted ISO to x86_64 Arch
Checked Internet connectivity with:

ping 8.8.8.8

Checked clock with:

timedatectl status

Time was correct.

Checked for USB using:

lsblk

Formatted using:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M status=progress

Partitioned using gdisk:

gdisk
/dev/sda

Ensured device is empty, created new partitions and wrote the table to disk:
BIOS Boot partiton:

p
n
Enter
Enter
+1M
ef02

/boot partition

n
Enter
Enter
+200M
Enter

/

n
Enter x4

w (write partitions to disk)
Y to confirm

Formatted partitions.
/boot formatted with:

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2

/ formatted with:

mkfs.ext4 -O "^has_journal" /dev/sda3

Mounted partitions:

mount /dev/sda3 /mnt

Make mount point for /boot and mount:

mkdir /mnt/boot
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot

Select mirrors in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist:

nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
Ctrl+X
Y
Enter

Run pacstrap:

pacstrap /mnt base

Genfstab:

genfstab -p /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

Enter chroot:

arch-chroot /mnt

Set hostname:

echo ChOnG > /etc/hostname

Set time zone:

ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime

Edit locale-gen:

nano /etc/locale.gen

Delete the comment for my locale, exit and save.

Ctrl+X
Y

Run locale-gen

Set local preferences:

echo LANG=uncommented_local > /etc/locale.conf

Edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf:

nano /etc/mkinitcpio.conf

Move block right after udev on the uncommented HOOKS line:

HOOKS="base udev block autodetect modconf filesystems keyboard fsck"

Run:

mkinitcpio -p linux

Set the root password:

passwd
Enter new UNIX password: (stuff)
Retype UNIX password: (stuff)

Install GRUB:

grub-install --recheck --target=i386-pc /dev/sda

Results in:

grub-install: command not found

Reinstall grub-install:

pacman -S grub

Y to proceed installing grub-1:2.02.beta2-6

Run:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Exit chroot:
exit

Unmount dirs:

umount -R /mnt

Reboot

Last edited by Ch0nG (2016-01-16 01:41:20)

#196 2016-01-16 15:34:11

hobn

So did you successfully run grub-install? You run it once, realize it's not installed, install it, but do you run grub-install again afterwards?

And if by corrupt screen you mean a mostly black screen with a rainbow-ish horizontal line, then that would suggest you have grub installed but isn't bootloading correctly. Try using one of the workarounds to fix grub's corrupt screen then see what it says.

Also you might have more luck posting this as its own topic in a general Arch help forum, as this problem does not seem to be Pixel specific and this topic is mostly dead already.

#197 2016-06-23 18:43:06

adion

Just got a Pixel the other day and successfully dual-booted Arch (kernel 4.6).  Only issue I'm having is the touchpad doesn't detect tap-clicking.  Haven't looked into it much yet.

My real problem is now I can't boot back into ChromeOS.  Ctrl+D at the warning screen causes it to go dark for a second but then just restart the 30 second window.  Waiting 20 seconds gives me 2 loud beeps.

I followed the dual-booting instructions very closely, using the Chrubuntu script to resize the partition from within ChromeOS.  Only thing I can think of is I re-ordered all partitions by sector while in gdisk (the s command), so now the ChromeOS partition is assigned to /dev/sda10 instead of whatever it was before... any ideas where/how to check it's trying to boot the correct partition?

#198 2016-06-24 20:35:16

adion

Well that went downhill fast.  Plugged in a ChromeOS recovery USB to wipe everything and re-do the whole process minus sorting the partitions.  The recovery drive seemed to do its thing, ended up back on the warning screen but Ctrl+D still does nothing.  So I got fed up and hit space to re-enable OS verification, screen went black and now stays black even after power cycling.  What gives?  Only way I know the machine is on is the keyboard backlight and lightbar.

Interesting note about the lightbar, it now blinks yellow from left to right when tapped, whereas it used to go right to left.  Anyone know if that's some kind of diagnostic thing?

#199 2016-07-05 05:47:59

snowblind

Interesting note about the lightbar, it now blinks yellow from left to right when tapped, whereas it used to go right to left.  Anyone know if that's some kind of diagnostic thing?

I believe this is a little bit of an easter egg, the light will move from whichever side of the machine you have the power plugged into (so if you have it plugged into the left, it'll move from left to right, if you have it plugged into the right, it'll move right to left)

#200 2016-07-05 05:49:50

snowblind

Has anyone noticed any increased heat on the machine when running Arch? I have Raphael's kernel installed and while it's not unreasonable, it can still get pretty warm (especially when watching video or something).

I figure that ChromeOS doesn't heat up nearly so much if only on account of the fact that it's likely not doing as much as I do when I'm using Arch on the machine; still, would anyone have any device-specific tips for reducing the heat on the machine?

Board footer