You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-11 23:30:23

stabwound

Installed Arch, now stuck at POST without LiveUSB plugged in

I just built a new computer and installed Windows 10 on a partition, then Arch on another partition. I'm using UEFI to boot, and wanted the option to dual-boot between Windows 10 and Arch.

My problem is now that I've gotten to a situation where the computer will only get past the POST screen if I have the Arch LiveUSB plugged in, and then goes to the systemd-boot menu where both Arch and Windows have an entry that works correctly.

It's not booting the live USB either, and if I don't have the stick plugged in, I can't even hit "delete" to get to the UEFI/bios, it just repeatedly restarts after the post screen. And also, the POST screen looks cut off at the top unless the stick is plugged in (????).

Any clue what I messed up here and how to fix it? I'm genuinely stumped as to what I might have done here. I installed using the beginner's guide.

Last edited by stabwound (2016-01-11 23:45:17)

#2 2016-01-12 20:57:23

mrunion
Website

Re: Installed Arch, now stuck at POST without LiveUSB plugged in

Not sure there is enough information about where in the installation process you got to, etc. But from the breif problem description, it sounds like you either didn't create/finish creating/properly create/properly use an EFI partition, or you DID create/use one but it is on the USB drive, not the drive in the machine.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2016-01-12 20:59:20

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Please post the output of:

# parted -l
# efibootmgr -v

Leave the USB stick plugged in when you run these commands.

#4 2016-01-13 16:23:28

stabwound

I managed to fix it somehow, but unfortunately I'm not sure exactly what I did that fixed it.

I did already have a EFI partition that was put there by Windows 10. I went through and installed systemd-boot on the EFI partition again (I'm 99% sure I did this the first time) but it's possible I installed it to the USB instead of the SSD.

Anyway, everything is working perfectly now so this can be closed. Thanks for the help.

#5 2016-01-15 17:33:39

stabwound

Okay actually the problem still persists, but at this point I'm not sure it's an Arch problem at all, or a boot partition problem for that matter.

I can still only get it to get past the POST screen if I have *any* usb flash drive plugged in when I power on.

Anyone have any clue?

#6 2016-01-16 15:02:10

ukhippo

Maybe the issue is with your mainboard's firmware ("BIOS") - is there a newer version available?
Are you able to get into the firmware setup screens? If so, check the settings, especially the USB, Boot device and Boot order ones. You can also try resetting to the factory defaults (make a note of all the current settings first!)

#7 2016-01-17 02:34:27

mrunion
Website

I had the issue where I couldn't boot without a USB stick plugged in -- ANY USB stick, like you ahve. It turned out I had a firmware update available. I installed that and it fixed the issue.

If this is an Intel-based machine, have you tried making sure the microcode is installed?

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

Board footer