You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-11 23:48:34

trtf4006

Improperly closing threads for "necrobumping".

I'm not active at all in very many forums, but every once in awhile there's something I've just gotta say...

I've only used Arch for the past few years, but I've been using Linux exclusively since the earliest days of Mandrake. What impresses me about Arch is the community and the level of technical prowess possessed by the average Arch user.

That said, I'm fairly frustrated with valuable discussions being shut down on the claim that the latest poster has "necrobumped" the thread. Before going further, yes, I realize that in the Forum Etiquette wiki entry, there is a clear request that "necrobumping" be avoided.

One of the problems seems to be that forum moderators might not be reading/considering that last line: "If you have a version-agnostic or corresponding solution, necrobumping can be appropriate." More than this, what is really considered "necro" if what we're discussing is a fundamental, philosophical, or version-agnostic issue? How can such things even be considered "old"?

Here's an example: I'm looking for a screen ruler. In this thread, the discussion was on a version-agnostic topic, anthillsocial made a post four years later that was right on point and very helpful, and the moderator came in, asked that anthillsocial not "necrobump", and closed the thread. While I understand that anthillsocial could have started a new thread and referenced the old one, this is clearly not the most elegant solution: the correct solution for anthillsocial was exactly what he or she did, to "necrobump" the thread.

Had the moderator not closed the thread and had not (very politely) admonished anthillsocial for his perceived transgression, perhaps there would be an even more lively and informative discussion that I and other Arch users could have derived more value from. What's more, I'm going to be installing a screen ruler and, perhaps, I will find a new solution that works even better for the community. Wouldn't it be best to have all that discussion in one place? That's why these forums exist and why we keep the "old" content up, right?

This example is one of many similar examples I have seen on these forums; these discussions should not be stopped simply because the discussion has been going on for a "long" time.

So this is an appeal to the forum moderators to be more careful in choosing what threads to close and to consider whether "necrobumping" is actually inappropriate or not, and an appeal to keep all fundamental, philosophical, or version-agnostic threads open and active until some tangible reason is brought up that would necessitate its closing.

My 2¢.

Last edited by trtf4006 (2016-01-11 23:53:03)

#2 2016-01-11 23:59:16

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Improperly closing threads for "necrobumping".

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.   One of the reasons we close old threads is because the original poster may have moved on and are no longer active.  There are other reasons, notably that Linux changes rapidly and new suggestions may not be applicable to old problems.

There are two ways you can handle this.  One, contact the moderators; we're human.  Use the report function and make a case for reopening a thread -- we will consider it.  You can send us  an email, but it is likely the latency for a response will be greater.   Second, feel free to start a thread.  This has the advantage of it being your thread.  If you truly believe the original thread is relevant to your thread, link back to the old thread from your new thread.

We are not out to stifle discussion of technical topics about Arch Linux.  We do want to keep things organized so that someone who is working a problem with up to date software not have to wade through ages old obsolete information.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-01-12 00:00:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Improperly closing threads for "necrobumping".

You can always appeal a closure: hit the report button and ask that the thread be opened again, with your rationale.

In this case (as the closer, so not the most impartial commenter) I think it was justified. Threads that are essentially a list of links to projects/software/products etc., are cruft: that information belongs on the wiki, where it can be properly maintained.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer