You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-12 18:03:01

jjacky
Website

slicd - simple lightweight Linux cron daemon

There are already many cron daemons out there, but here's me adding another one to the list.

slicd is a Linux cron daemon aiming to be small, simple and lightweight. It doesn't try to support every possible feature under the sun, and while not a requirement is perfectly fitted to run under a supervision suite.

It actually does less than many/most other daemons, e.g. it doesn't do environment variables, doesn't send mails, nor wake up at the top of every single minute. I guess I wanted something small, simple, that does as little as possible.

It comes as a few modules :

- slicd-parser : to parse crontabs into one "compiled" file
The parser's job is to process all system & user crontabs and compile them into a single file, in a ready-to-use format for the scheduler.

- slicd-sched : the scheduler, aka the actual cron daemon
The scheduler simply loads the compiled crontabs, determines the next time a job needs to run and simply waits for it. It doesn't need to wake up every minute (as most cron daemons do) and handles time changes (manual, NTP, DST...) fine.
It also doesn't actually run anything, but simply prints on its stdout one line for each job to run, in the form USERNAME:COMMAND LINE

- slicd-exec : the exec daemon, to actually run jobs
The scheduler's stdout is aimed to be piped into this daemon's stdin, which will handle forking and executing the command line. It will report all forks & reaped children on its stdout, as well as anything printed on a child's stdout or stderr.
It is important to note that it doesn't do any drop of privileges or environment changes, instead you're supposed to do this making sure it execs into the right tools; such as one to drop privileges to a specific user, one to set up the correct environment, etc

In addition, a few extra tools are provided, meant to be used alongside slicd-exec(1) :

- setuid : drop privileges to the specified user
- miniexec : minimal parsing & execing of command-line

More details on the official site or the source code; Also it's in the AUR.
Can make for a nice minimal cron daemon (if you ask me that is),
Cheers,
-j

Board footer