You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-12 14:33:59

GunnDawg

unplug / re-plug in wifi adapter every reboot.

I've set up Plasma 5 on my Arch system and all is well so far except for one nagging issue. I've got the wifi working and the wifi applet working but in order for it to connect to my network when I log in I have to unplug my USB dongle and re plug it back in, then it connects up just fine. Any good reason for this? What can I do to fix it? I've looked around a bit but cannot seem to pin point why I have to un plug and plug it back in every time I reboot or re log in.

#2 2016-01-12 20:22:32

GunnDawg

Re: unplug / re-plug in wifi adapter every reboot.

I've enabled networkmanager service and disabled dhcpcd service to see if that has any affect and it does not. Anyone have any suggestions?

#3 2016-01-12 20:39:51

ewaller
Administrator

After boot, before you unplug it, what are the output of
ip link
iw list
and
rfkill list
?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-01-12 20:45:26

GunnDawg

ewaller wrote:

ip link
iw list
and
rfkill list
?

ip link is

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 30:5a:3a:7c:b5:cc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wlp0s20u7: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 94:44:52:23:17:46 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

(notice wlp0s20u7 is down, not sure why or how to enable it to UP on startup)

iw list and rfkill list return "command not found"

#5 2016-01-12 20:54:10

GunnDawg

GunnDawg wrote:
ewaller wrote:

ip link
iw list
and
rfkill list
?

ip link is

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 30:5a:3a:7c:b5:cc brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
4: wlp0s20u7: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 94:44:52:23:17:46 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

(notice wlp0s20u7 is down, not sure why or how to enable it to UP on startup)

iw list and rfkill list return "command not found"

One thing to note is that KDE Wallet must be authenticated before my wifi will connect also. Not sure if this has something to do with it or not.

#6 2016-01-12 21:29:32

ewaller
Administrator

You might want to install the rfkill and (probably) iw packages.

Force the interface up with sudo ip link set wlp0s20u7 up     (Note, that name may change depending on where you attach this device and what has already been attached to the USB system)
After you install iw, try sudo iw wlp0s20u7 scan and see if it will perform a site survey.  Does your access point show up in the output?

Some interface will not work with iw.  You may need to use the (deprecated) iwconfig which is provided by the wireless_tools package.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#7 2016-01-12 21:57:17

GunnDawg

iw did not ouput anything other than a help ouput of sorts showing what parameters can be used, iwconfig however did show my accesspoint. I went ahead and ran 'sudo ip link set wlp0s20u7 up', rebooted and verified the interface name was still 'wlp0s20u7' but it still was down until un plugging and re plugging in my USB adapter, at which point it jumped right online.

I should note that I am prompted for my kdewallet password before it even attempt to connect. "The application kded5 has requested to open the wallet kdewallet. Please enter the password for kdewallet below." Not sure if that's related or not. But once the KDEwallet password is entered it throws the "no network found" error. At which point I just unplug / re plug in.

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-12 22:03:20)

#8 2016-01-12 22:07:54

ewaller
Administrator

That is the behavior of iw without any parameters.
When does it ask for your password?  After you plug it back in?
Does it connect after boot if you put it up?
What is the output of find /etc/systemd
?

---

#9 2016-01-12 22:13:06

GunnDawg

It asks for the password when plasma5 loads (using startx), after inputting the password it does not connect. No it does not connect after boot, still having issues...

here is the output of find /etc/systemd

/etc/systemd
/etc/systemd/system
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service  <---- this is the name of my access point, not sure if that relevant.
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/remote-fs.target
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.service
/etc/systemd/system.conf
/etc/systemd/coredump.conf
/etc/systemd/logind.conf
/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
/etc/systemd/journald.conf
/etc/systemd/resolved.conf
/etc/systemd/bootchart.conf
/etc/systemd/network
/etc/systemd/user
/etc/systemd/user.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-remote.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-upload.conf

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-12 22:14:23)

#10 2016-01-12 22:20:09

ewaller
Administrator

If you are using NetworkManager, these will all cause you heartburn.  Disable and stop the services that are associated with these (or you can just delete the links -- but it is better to use systemctl)

/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/wpa_supplicant.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dhcpcd.service

I am not sure about:
What remote file system are you trying to use

---

#11 2016-01-12 22:27:25

GunnDawg

I wasn't aware that I was using any remote file system. Not even sure what that means to be honest.

how would I stop these 2 with netctl

I can stop the others with systemctl disable wpa_supplicant, but not sure about these odd named ones.

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-12 22:32:04)

#12 2016-01-12 22:37:20

ewaller
Administrator

sudo systemctl disable netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service
Or, just remove the links with sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service /etc/systemd/system/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service

Just for information:   Those services (wpa_supplicant, dhcpcd) start the associated dameon.  The problem is that NetworkManager needs to start those daemons and will do it itself.  If a systemd service has already started those daemons, NetworkManager will not function rationally.   Likewise, netctl and NetworkManager so the same thing (roughly) -- If they both try to run, they will fight over resources.  We are setting up the system so that NetworkManager orchestrates everything.

---

#13 2016-01-12 22:43:49

GunnDawg

Alright I've run

sudo systemctl disable netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service
sudo systemctl disable wpa_supplicant.service
sudo systemctl disable dhcpcd.service

Still requires me to re plug my USB adapter after each boot. If I remember correctly I had to configure a netctl profile when I got the system up and running so that it would auto connect to my network. I think I set it's profile or something similar. It DID connect automatically but I had no wifi icon / manager. This whole thing started when I installed the wireless menu widget and tried to start getting it to connect to my wifi so that I had some kind of interface. Not sure if this information is relevant.

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-12 22:46:31)

#14 2016-01-12 22:45:45

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Try installing & enabling modemmanager

#15 2016-01-12 22:52:19

GunnDawg

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Try installing & enabling modemmanager

no luck.

#16 2016-01-12 23:22:47

ewaller
Administrator

Let's doublecheck.  What are the output of find /etc/systemd now?  Also, of systemctl --type service

And, after booting, without unplugging the device, what happens with a site survey with iwconfig

---

#17 2016-01-12 23:32:56

GunnDawg

find /etc/systemd output:

/etc/systemd
/etc/systemd/system
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ModemManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty@tty1.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service
/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants
/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-timesyncd.service
/etc/systemd/system.conf
/etc/systemd/coredump.conf
/etc/systemd/logind.conf
/etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf
/etc/systemd/journald.conf
/etc/systemd/resolved.conf
/etc/systemd/bootchart.conf
/etc/systemd/network
/etc/systemd/user
/etc/systemd/user.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-remote.conf
/etc/systemd/journal-upload.conf

systemctl -type service output:

UNIT                                            LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION
  alsa-restore.service                            loaded active exited  Save/Restore Sound Card State
  dbus.service                                    loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus
  getty@tty1.service                              loaded active running Getty on tty1
  kmod-static-nodes.service                       loaded active exited  Create list of required static device nodes for 
  ModemManager.service                            loaded active running Modem Manager
● netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service                   loaded failed failed  Automatically generated profile by wifi-menu
  NetworkManager.service                          loaded active running Network Manager
  polkit.service                                  loaded active running Authorization Manager
  rtkit-daemon.service                            loaded active running RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service
  systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-3d3d3e8a\x2ddc60\x2d4986\x2db779\x2d1de2e550e28c.service loaded active exited  File S
  systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-95cf5281\x2d0f37\x2d49f4\x2dabb2\x2d0a95d8f89eca.service loaded active exited  File S
  systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-9b4aee3b\x2d555f\x2d455f\x2db051\x2d7be88d86761d.service loaded active exited  File S
  systemd-journal-flush.service                   loaded active exited  Flush Journal to Persistent Storage
  systemd-journald.service                        loaded active running Journal Service
  systemd-logind.service                          loaded active running Login Service
  systemd-random-seed.service                     loaded active exited  Load/Save Random Seed
  systemd-remount-fs.service                      loaded active exited  Remount Root and Kernel File Systems
  systemd-sysctl.service                          loaded active exited  Apply Kernel Variables
  systemd-timesyncd.service                       loaded active running Network Time Synchronization
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service              loaded active exited  Create Static Device Nodes in /dev
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                  loaded active exited  Create Volatile Files and Directories
  systemd-udev-trigger.service                    loaded active exited  udev Coldplug all Devices
  systemd-udevd.service                           loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager
  systemd-update-utmp.service                     loaded active exited  Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown
  systemd-user-sessions.service                   loaded active exited  Permit User Sessions
  systemd-vconsole-setup.service                  loaded active exited  Setup Virtual Console

iwconfig BEFORE I unplug it:

wlp0s20u7  unassociated  Nickname:"rtl_wifi"
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Sensitivity:0/0  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eno1      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

iwconfig AFTER I unplug it and it connects:

wlp0s20u7  IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Gunn Family"  Nickname:"rtl_wifi"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: DC:9F:DB:92:AA:77   
          Bit Rate:150 Mb/s   Sensitivity:0/0  
          Retry:off   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=95/100  Signal level=86/100  Noise level=0/100
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eno1      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-12 23:41:07)

#18 2016-01-12 23:42:18

ewaller
Administrator

We still need to get rid of /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service

How about the site survey without first unplugging?

---

#19 2016-01-12 23:43:21

GunnDawg

I updated the results in my previous post.

So should I just remove the file "/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/netctl@Gunn\x20Family.service"?

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-12 23:44:42)

#20 2016-01-12 23:45:07

ewaller
Administrator

yes

---

#21 2016-01-12 23:50:21

ewaller
Administrator

My apologies.  It has been a long time since I have used wireless tools. To do a site scan, do

sudo iwlist scan
See if your AP ("Gunn Family") shows up in that output without having to first unplug your device.

---

#22 2016-01-12 23:55:23

GunnDawg

removing the above mentioned service seems to have done the trick! I no longer have to un plug and re plug in the adapter. There is one slight hang up. "kded5" requests my kwallet password before the adapter will attempt to connect. Once I plug in my kwallet password it connects right away. Minor annoyance that I suppose I can live with, though if you know a work around for this also, I'd be greatly appreciated. But again the original unplug / re plug issue seems to have been fixed.

Thank you kindly for your patience and help. If you do know a work around to avoid having to log into kwallet for "kded5" to kick start my adapter that'd be great!

#23 2016-01-13 00:03:24

ewaller
Administrator

I don't use either NetworkManager or KDE (at least not in the last few years).  I think this article may help
I think you are configured as option 1.  I suggest you use option 2.
Do you use / have you configured sudo and are you a member of the group wheel?

---

#24 2016-01-13 00:14:39

GunnDawg

yes I've configured sudo and am apart of wheel group. I could try adding my username to the root section of visudo and see if that clears it up.

Last edited by GunnDawg (2016-01-13 00:16:26)

Board footer