You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-26 18:08:40

gmaisg

Configuring CUPs

Well, finally i got ArchLinux working with fluxbox window manager. Installed some apps, like blender, scite, Gimp. Since i am a newbie, i am studying arch and linux systems.

Ok let's go to the point. I have a Epson Stylus Color 600 connected via parallel port and i have just installed CUPS, gimp-print and ghostscript. Then following instructions in this link http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS_Setup
then in the Configuring Cups - Parallel port printers - modprobe lp, modprobe parport and modprobe parport_pc, nothing happen. And in the Auto loading i was a bit lost about editing the rc.conf to load the Kernel Modules. The example was in Gentoo, do i have to put it the same way?
And in the CUPS Daemon also, do i have to put it the same way? And when i ran the command # /etc/rc.d/cups start there was a message that it failed. Well if anyone has a hint i would be very thankfull, it would help me go faster in this way of learning ArchLinux.

Cheers  big_smile

#2 2006-04-27 02:04:01

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Configuring CUPs

In rc.conf daemons, add cups.

If you are running kde, it provides an easy to follow printer install procedure.

You will need the correct printer driver for the Epson 600 in /var/lib/cups/model.

Foomatic has the largest cache of printer models to utilize.  You may wish to install it.

Hope this helps........

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer