You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-20 06:26:48

machackerx86

Xfce4-settings-manager : how to add user and groups management ?

i have installed xfce4 and i managed to install a gui user and group management application from the package "user-manager"  it works fine i want the  user and groups manager  application that i installed to be added in the xfce4-settings-manager . I tried to use the settings editor but i don't know what how to add that application to the settings-manager .
what i want is , when i want to add or edit a user i should be able to open the user settings by going to the xfce4-settings-manager like this settings>user settings > add a user
, but currently if i want to add a user using gui i will have to search for the application in the  menu , my problem is that i want to get that application listed in the settings manager but
don't know how  smile

#2 2016-01-20 07:42:57

Docbroke

Re: Xfce4-settings-manager : how to add user and groups management ?

I am not aware of any simple solution for your problem, it basically involves modifying xfce4-settings-manager. I can suggest alternative, like adding keyboard shortcut for your application through keyboard settings. Infact you can add shortcuts for all commonly used applications like "winkey+f" for file-manager. This will make opening common applications much faster, better than menu or even using panels.

#3 2016-01-20 13:41:57

toz

You need to add to the application's .desktop file the following categories (semi-colon delimited):

- Settings
- X-XFCE-SettingsDialog

...and one of (depending on the section you want it to display in):

- X-XFCE-PersonalSettings
- X-XFCE-HardwareSettings
- X-XFCE-SystemSettings

#4 2016-01-20 15:10:19

machackerx86

okay that looks complicated i will add a keyboard shortcut as said by Docbroke

#5 2016-01-20 15:33:51

toz

Not really. Have a look at the /usr/share/applications/xfce-session-settings.desktop file. Model it after that one. Specifically:

[Desktop Entry]
Name= User Management
Comment=User and group management
Exec=<EXECUTABLE>
Icon=<ICON>
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=XFCE;GTK;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;X-XFCE-SystemSettings;

...change the "Exec" and "Icon" entries to match. Save it as "user-management.desktop". Put the file in /usr/share/applications for system use or ~/.local/share/applications for user-only use.

#6 2016-01-21 05:00:56

machackerx86

i have an application launcher for that program  but i want that applications to be listed in the default system-settings   ( eg : keyboard settings in the xfce4-settings manager as it lacks a user settings catogory )application which will make it easy for other users to use

#7 2016-01-21 11:25:53

toz

Did you try the desktop file from my last post? It will do just that.

Or change your existing launcher file so that Categories match the ones listed above.

#8 2016-01-21 12:15:29

x33a
Forum Fellow

Moving to "Applications & Desktop Environments".

Board footer