You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-21 16:45:48

helix

Subtitles and legal issues

I'm planning to release sometime soon a new project I created and it's related with subtitle editing. I will upload it in both github and AUR. As part of the code of the program a list of the most popular websites for subtitles downloading will be included. My question is: since the code will be readable to anyone, is providing this list inside the code considered to be illegal by the movie industry? If that's the case I will remove this part of code before uploading it. I know that there are already some programs available in AUR for downloading subtitles from known pages like opensubtitles.org, but I'm also informed that some of these sites had legal issues in the past.

Last edited by helix (2016-01-21 16:47:38)

#2 2016-01-21 16:50:15

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Subtitles and legal issues

IANAL, But I do not believe that a list of websites would be protected by copyright.  If those sites do something offensive to big media, that is their legal issue, not yours.  YMMV.

Last edited by ewaller (2016-01-21 18:36:35)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-01-21 18:33:22

Soukyuu

IANAL either, but qBittorrent has had some prominent torrent search engines built in for god knows how long, and it didn't get sued for that yet.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#4 2016-01-21 20:57:36

helix

ewaller wrote:

IANAL, But I do not believe that a list of websites would be protected by copyright.  If those sites do something offensive to big media, that is their legal issue, not yours.  YMMV.

I tend to agree with you. I worried mostly because subtitles for copyrighted movies are considered to be copyrighted, too. Based on the fact that providing links to illegal stuff (in this case free distribution of copyrighted material) is not allowed in this forum, I thought that this would be illegal. In any case, I don't want to harm myself and the Arch community, so I thought it would be wise to ask first before proceeding.

#5 2016-01-21 21:00:45

ewaller
Administrator

I'll not be taking action against it*

* Unless I am motivated by a greater autority

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2016-01-21 21:04:54

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

ewaller wrote:

IANAL, But I do not...

I didn't know that acronym which prompted me to look it up on urbandictionary.  The top definition makes perfect sense, but the 2nd ranked definition is pretty funny when you've only slept for 3 hours the night before as I have big_smile

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer