You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-24 22:31:29

elvith32

Privoxy fails

Hi everyone;
I have recently installed and configured privoxy along with polipo for my lab.When i change "listen-address ip:port" from /etc/privoxy/config to my default gateway , privoxy fails to start if i put it back to localhost it runs.I would like to use privoxy for my whole network.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

#2 2016-01-24 22:36:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Privoxy fails

You need to provide more information if you want to get any meaningful help. Post the command output with errors when running privoxy in a terminal. Post relevant logs and other data such as systemd status messages and journald entries. Post full configuration files for privoxy and polipo. Post a description of your network configuration.

edit
Re-reading your post, I think I see the problem despite the absence of the above information.

I expect that listen-address is the address and port on the local machine on which privoxy will listen. Privoxy can't listen to an address and port on another machine and anything already running on that port on the local machine will block anything else from listening on that port.

What is the gateway device on your network? A router? A dedicated computer?

Start with a full description of your network. Who's in charge of all of this btw?

edit2
I also want to add that you should clear this with the network's sysadmin. Given what you seem to be trying to do, you may unwittingly end up exposing everyone in your lab to attacks on their connections if you end up trying to e.g. proxy everything through TOR. Setting yourself up in a position to possibly eavesdrop and mitm your colleagues without their full technical understanding of the issue may place you in legal trouble as well.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2016-01-24 23:05:59

brebs

elvith32 wrote:

When i change "listen-address ip:port" from /etc/privoxy/config to my default gateway , privoxy fails to start if i put it back to localhost it runs.

Are you sure your "default gateway" is the PC that's running privoxy?

To e.g. listen on all interfaces (not necessarily what you want - just for testing), use:

listen-address :8118

#4 2016-01-24 23:11:18

elvith32

Hi, First of all i m trying to setup the proxy for my home lab, using vmware hypervisor for the purpose of practising and gaining experience.
My gateway is bt-router. By the way i dont really have to use privoxy for my whole network but even when i tried listening a specific ip and port such as requests from my laptop i still got the same issue.

when i run

# systemctl status privoxy.service
or
journalctl -xe

it says wrong number of parameters for forward directive in configuration file.
I havent edited the original configuration file except altering the listen-address ip's from localhost to my gateways and forwarding privoxy to polipo as it was suggested on archwiki.
sorry i cant not provide the config files right now sad

#5 2016-01-24 23:14:21

nomorewindows

Isn't privoxy for the local machine, and not like squid or delegate?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2016-01-24 23:22:32

elvith32

brebs wrote:
elvith32 wrote:

When i change "listen-address ip:port" from /etc/privoxy/config to my default gateway , privoxy fails to start if i put it back to localhost it runs.

Are you sure your "default gateway" is the PC that's running privoxy?

To e.g. listen on all interfaces (not necessarily what you want - just for testing), use:

listen-address :8118

i have already tried that option, privoxy run ok but from my laptop i cant connect to any website from firefox, i also setup firefox for proxy connection

#7 2016-01-25 08:42:47

brebs

Well, as usual with network problems, tcpdump is very useful to see what is going on.

Board footer