You are not logged in.

#1 2016-01-28 14:29:10

hthuong

Lost access to wireless card every time I boot to Arch Linux

Hi guys.
I don't know I should put it here or network box. If it was in wrong place, please don't delete but move it to right place.

My problem started like 1 year ago. It happened first when I restart from Linux and boot into windows (Windows 8 at that time). I completely lost access to network card. Like my laptop don't even have ability to connect to wifi (I am sure it's not driver problem). I tried boot to Linux again and even Linux didn't show me that I can connect to wifi. It was about give up and think my wireless card was broken. But after I turn off my laptop like 5hrs. When I turn on (boot to Windows) I can connect to wifi again. It thought my wireless card was about broken. But nothing happened until recently. It's 1 month ago till now (I am using Windows 10), every time I tried boot to Linux, my wireless card gone. Even if I restart and boot to Windows wireless card still gone. After I turn off my laptop, remove power, remove battery and let it like that for 10 mins. When I turn on and boot to Windows I can connect to wifi. But If I boot to Linux. Wireless card still gone...

I even restore to my Arch Linux to 6 months ago backup when everything still worked fine. But it still happen. I can't tried live CD to see if wireless card works or not at the moment. I just lost my USB.

Please, anyone has I ideal what is going on with my laptop? sad. I can try re-install again if there is no change to solve it but I really don't want to. Install Arch is such a pain in the neck :<

Thanks in advance

#2 2016-01-28 16:56:20

JJK

Re: Lost access to wireless card every time I boot to Arch Linux

Hey,

This sounds to me like an rfkill switch issue.

The bios has probably not set the rfkill or wifi switch to "last state" but instead to off. Windows probably automatically turns the rfkill switch on but arch linux does not.
Try setting the bios to "last state", then log in to windows, restart and boot arch linux.

If that does not work try pressing the wifi toggle switch on your keyboard. If you can not find that switch or it does not work try installing the rfkill package and enable the wireless card using that.

Let me know if this was indeed the problem.

Good Luck,

JJK

#3 2016-01-29 07:57:11

boban_dj

Re: Lost access to wireless card every time I boot to Arch Linux

hthuong wrote:

. I can try re-install again if there is no change to solve it but I really don't want to. Install Arch is such a pain in the neck :<

Then Arch is really not your distro. It has one of the most clear and fully described wiki, also debugging/reinstallng your arch install is great for learning.
You didn't put any effort in ouputting any kind of debugging info, how should anyone help or understand your problem?
At least read some arch wiki's concerning wifi or beginners guide and show some info concerning your problem

Last edited by boban_dj (2016-01-29 07:57:47)

Board footer